Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    45

    Seems alot of people in the Texas area use TAC/CSI controls for their buildings.

    Some say they are a dead company, some say they have been down but are now a up and comming big player with mergers with other companies and some heavy hitting investers like Snider.

    My question is which control outfits are the big players?

    Are all controls basicly the same?

    For someone who knows nothing about controls where should I start reading to learn the basics? Is their a good website with basic overall information?

    I don't want to waste time on stuff that is obsolete.

    But I need want to learn enough to understand what is going on in the game.

    Thanks in advance,



  2. #2
    TAC bought CSI a few years ago. TAC is a major player in LON based controls. The company is very solid. They are owned by Schneider who also owns Square D, Andover Controls, Merlin Gerin, Telemecanique, and are buying up other controls companies to make a power play over the next 24 to 36 months.

    I used CSI in some large facilities in Dallas in the early '90s and found them to be a solid control system, but they were proprietary. The CSI line was called INET and TAC is still carrying the line but is placing emphasis on the TAC Xenta line of controllers. I have used TAC on numerous controls installations and find them to be a quality controller. I would recommend staying with LON based control systems which ever brand you choose.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    9,564
    I was told they renamed INET to INET 7 because that's how many years it had left before they dump it.... (from a TAC sales guy)

    CSI (texas) bought by TAC which in turn bought by Schneider Electric who did just buy Bendover. European growth of TAC good, US not as good. Seems like a very nice product. I heard they are considering branch-centric growth.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    970
    I've got a couple buildings with TAC "supervision' software. pretty good stuff (as far as I can tell...)
    I work with the Chiller Whisperer...

  5. #5
    I would recommend staying with LON systems that way you have a choice to different brands. TAC, Circon, Distech, etc. Haven't heard too much about the BACnet stuff working with each other too well.

  6. #6

    Talking

    Originally posted by lastchance

    Seems alot of people in the Texas area use TAC/CSI controls for their buildings.

    Some say they are a dead company, some say they have been down but are now a up and comming big player with mergers with other companies and some heavy hitting investers like Snider.

    My question is which control outfits are the big players?

    Are all controls basicly the same?

    For someone who knows nothing about controls where should I start reading to learn the basics? Is their a good website with basic overall information?

    I don't want to waste time on stuff that is obsolete.

    But I need want to learn enough to understand what is going on in the game.

    Thanks in advance,


    their are alote of control bms systems when you buy always look for one that won't be locked into building i know of one that is called computrols it is user freindly and don't need to know computor programing i like them and saw factory where they are made it can sit on any network and has built in web server so you can see it right on web make sure what ever you do get can talk to other systems just incase you want them out i see too much that a building wants a bms company out but just doesn't have enough money to change hole system it will be easier to do it floor bye floor if it would ever happen i know how to program 3 systems and deal with at least 6 others they all have ups and downs

  7. #7
    I saw Computrols "factory" too... 2X4 wooden racks.... Small company in New Orleans. I thought it was a decent product, just coming from humble beginings. I would recommend the LON products for interoperability which is just a big word for freedom of choice.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100

    tac/csi

    be careful which office area you deal with...local office had a big maintenance contract for a large county for all county buildings...techs were good after 2 years on a 5 yr contract. The office closed, sold,moved, whatever...now the closest office is over 3 hours away,one guy on the phone for support,and you cant get ahold of him....they have done this all over the place....product is not bad,just support..they have been sold numerous times ove the years...

  9. #9
    TAC is owned by Schneider-Electric. TAC's Headquarters is in Carrollton, TX and has been since they moved to the U.S. They bought CSI about 3 years ago and have been here since. I personally am on TAC-Americas Solutions Team (Technical Support). They have not been sold, but have aquired other companies such as Andover Controls. As far as support goes, what company do you work for? Are you a partner, or and end user contacting a local office? Where are you located? The Technical Support line is divided into two parts- I/Net (mostly security) and Vista (the HVAC LON line). Both divisions have a very efficient support team.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    970
    Welcome to the forum, tac_ts.

    You got an 800 number for me, Tech assistance up here is hard to find.
    I work with the Chiller Whisperer...

  11. #11
    Originally posted by sonc
    Welcome to the forum, tac_ts.

    You got an 800 number for me, Tech assistance up here is hard to find.
    If you are a partner or a branch of TAC, you can call (800)830-1274. However, if you are not, you will need to contact a local office. Let me know where you are located and I will see what I can do.

  12. #12
    TAC is good stuff if you have the time to learn it.

    Support sucks as a hole.

    I have found one guy in Dallas that knows how it works and cares enough to make it work right.

    I think he is the exception and not the rule.
    Most of their guys don't have a clue and spend a lot of time on the phone asking questions and not getting many answers.

    If you ask them to explain what they are doing and why, they give you that deer in headlight look and change the subject really fast.

    Sad thing is most of the other outfits are the same.

    goodluck. I am afraid you'll need it.

  13. #13
    Originally posted by newtradesman
    TAC is good stuff if you have the time to learn it.

    Support sucks as a hole.

    I have found one guy in Dallas that knows how it works and cares enough to make it work right.

    I think he is the exception and not the rule.
    Most of their guys don't have a clue and spend a lot of time on the phone asking questions and not getting many answers.

    If you ask them to explain what they are doing and why, they give you that deer in headlight look and change the subject really fast.

    Sad thing is most of the other outfits are the same.

    goodluck. I am afraid you'll need it.

    Do you have a name for this guy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event