Replacing old oil furnace with new gas furnace-

Mueller climatrol oil furnace. The burner is in the box on the front. Pretty streamline looking, bet it looked GOOD when it was new

New York Affinity condensing gas furnace

[Edited by billygoat22 on 10-28-2004 at 08:42 PM]
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Wheres the new pic.?
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

There ya go, hows that for quick service? I missed a few numbers and you know how computers hate that sort of thing.

Looks good!

But, you still don't go outside for fresh air??

Looks great! Sure would be nice to see some better filtration though.

How did you install the coil?

[Edited by coolwhip on 10-28-2004 at 09:26 PM]
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Yea, real sharp metal. Nice job. What was the old A/C? Original to the Climatrol? Lines look old anyway.

I'm with May, I'd like to see outside combustion in a nice basement room.

How's your back? That old boy looks like it weighed a ton. Couple of our boys took out an old Moncrief "Sidewinder" with a real funky burner. Put in electric and a heat pump. Hope they took good pictures. This is being done by the A-team so I know I'll have shots I can show you. The old furnace was well over 6' tall!

Looks good from here! Nice.
    Can't say i've seen one of those beasts yet!
    How's the performance of that yorky? Those furnaces look nice.
    Do they still have paint for the floor?
    Was your metal made by a shop?

That's a really clean, nice looking job!

The only thing I see, is they needed to spring for a Media Filter!

Nice work Billygoat. I am a bit curious about the fresh air being drawn from the basement... is it an accepted standard? Not part of your State/Provincial code? These furnaces are designed to hack outside fresh air... cost savings if it's not code?

I'm seeing lots of 'isolated' ducts with the neoprene set up you have here. (Not a tin basher, so I am lame with the 'name game') Is that also code in your State/Prov.?

it makes sense though... Today, I made a ruling that all duct work be sealed with duct sealer... and judging from the more recent pics I've seen, I think we'll make the move to use the 'islolation' principal too... We may cost more... but we'll set the correct standards... code or not. We already have made the 'papers' here for excellence in A/C installation.

Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

I would like to run the air intake since will boost efficiency and prevent make up air problems. In this case theer was only one spot we could use to vent the furnace-in through the old thimble and out the backside of chimney. Not much space to play with, concrete porch out front, gas meter, window, a/c unit and chimney on the side behind furnace, so the chimney was the only open spot.
    Not sure if its OK to pull air down old flue, which could have been an option.
    I've been trying to get the salesman to sell media or at least the enclosures with jobs. If you sell the case (like Trane's perfect fit)you can upgrade filter later on when the maintenance guys do a cleaning.

I like the EZ trap. Whoever invented them ought to win the nobel prize. Great in attics.

we carried them for a couple of years, then the boss found out you can't buy just the switch if one goes bad, you have to buy the whole new kit. So he stopped selling them. His philosophy is, if you can't get replacement parts, why buy it. True to a point, but as far as I'm concerned, in an attic they ought to be code.

You may be able to buy the switch itself rather than the cap piece its mounted in. I've taken the things apart before and the switch looks a lot like the ones they use for drain pans. Little box with a button that operates a NO/NC single pole contact. maybe Grainger has them?

LOOKS GREAT WOULD USE LONG RADIUS 90'S ON PVC. LOOKS GREAT