Unemployment; are people really this stupid? - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 178
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    A bully in general doesn't know how else to behave. Bullying is a form of obsessive compulsive behavior. If the bully can't intimidate you, he or she will seek out someone else to intimidate and bully.

    Has this ever been formally diagnosed? Counseling is never too late.
    Just because I enjoy crushing annoying and misleading people doesn't make me a bully
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  2. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,218
    It relates to this thread. Many unskilled people were able to make a living in this country until recently. Today as a nation we are more educated and more skilled than ever before. And it is harder than ever to make a living. And many people your, our ages had fathers that may not have been that educated and or skilled but were able to make a living. Especially in Pa. where you currently live.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,937
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    A bully in general doesn't know how else to behave. Bullying is a form of obsessive compulsive behavior. If the bully can't intimidate you, he or she will seek out someone else to intimidate and bully.

    Has this ever been formally diagnosed? Counseling is never too late.
    As far as I can tell pagey, everyone else here was discussing unemployment until you came along. Who is the bully? You came in here to dispute an inconsequential detail of Jmac's fine post, then have continued to agitate by tempting at the post-carter years [failed attempt] and even invoking Robo's deceased father, for whatever direction you hoped that was headed.

    Now you are dragging out some sort of behavioral science nonsense and calling people "Bully".

    I think "Nutty" may be a better word, but be careful if you try to holster that one, because it might end up lodging a projectile in your foot.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    It relates to this thread. Many unskilled people were able to make a living in this country until recently. Today as a nation we are more educated and more skilled than ever before. And it is harder than ever to make a living. And many people your, our ages had fathers that may not have been that educated and or skilled but were able to make a living. Especially in Pa. where you currently live.
    Unskilled Americans are being used by politicians for votes. They are being given government aid which is being paid for by those who are skilled and working at such a rate that we just cannot afford to keep paying for liberal political votes through give aways to the unskilled labor force of the U.S.

    Maybe, if we get rid of the immense burden of illegal immigrants in the U.S. there will be more oportunities for Americans who are unskilled to actually work for a living and have some dignity and pride instead of being taken care of by the government at the expense of all of the other Americans who are working.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  5. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    As far as I can tell pagey, everyone else here was discussing unemployment until you came along. Who is the bully? You came in here to dispute an inconsequential detail of Jmac's fine post, then have continued to agitate by tempting at the post-carter years [failed attempt] and even invoking Robo's deceased father, for whatever direction you hoped that was headed.

    Now you are dragging out some sort of behavioral science nonsense and calling people "Bully".

    I think "Nutty" may be a better word, but be careful if you try to holster that one, because it might end up lodging a projectile in your foot.
    Something JMAC said was just dead wrong, PERIOD. I just pointed it out with a source and link.

    "As far as I can tell"
    I don't care how far you can tell.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Unskilled Americans are being used by politicians for votes. They are being given government aid which is being paid for by those who are skilled and working at such a rate that we just cannot afford to keep paying for liberal political votes through give aways to the unskilled labor force of the U.S.

    Maybe, if we get rid of the immense burden of illegal immigrants in the U.S. there will be more oportunities for Americans who are unskilled to actually work for a living and have some dignity and pride instead of being taken care of by the government at the expense of all of the other Americans who are working.
    I agree with much of that. Re: Immigration I think we have to go after the employers also. Stop the source, combine it with limited guest-temp. job programs maybe.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    The past does not concern me now. I am worried about the right now and the future. However, using the same methods with past presidents would still result in a proportionately higher rate of unemplyed Americans today.
    Actual unemployment has always been higher than reported unemployment due to the nature of sampling the population. Has been the same north of the border. It is hard to know what the people that drop out of the system, do they work under the table, go back to school, move away? The system is not perfect and the numbers are only for comparison purposes to show where we were and where we are going.


    As far as unskilled labor receiving a lower wage as stated in the original article they are not saying lower skilled workers expect to get paid as higher skilled workers. They are saying that the person with lower skills will be getting paid less now than they would have when the economy was healthy. Of course we all realize that but it makes it hard to point fingers at all those low skilled people when you look at it that way.

    The article also says that much of the job loss that will not be returning is in the housing sector. Hard for the sector to bounce back when it was oversupplying a market that was built on speculation. The gains that the other parts of the economy have to make to pick up the housing slack does not seem achievable, not like manufacturing is picking up the ball and running with it. Much cheaper to produce goods in a low cost country.

    So where are the jobs to come from? While the country can use an overhaul to its infrastructure the payback will not be as great as in the 30's and 40's. The reason why is the network of roads, increase in power generation, water/waste..., all increased the capability of the country above what it was beforehand.

    Greater mobility increased trade, gave people the ability to live farther outside the cities, increasing housing, all the manufactured goods to fill all those houses, cars in every garage. It was not just a case of throwing money into the system and that money kick starting the economy but it was the transforming of a way of life.

    Money spent now days will not have the same effect. The money will just give use what we already have. The roads may be smoother and newer buildings will take the place of old ones but nothing will really be transformed. Where manufacturing got a boost as more people had to have a new washing machine or toaster now days those things come from outside the country.

    Without a new game changer that transforms our society you will not see more than small gains as we go along. The last one was the home computer and networking, they expanded what we consider as normal. Shame most of the manufacturing gains were made offshore.

    As the article said, health care is going to carry a lot of weight in our economy as our societies grow older. Maybe there will be a building boom for elderly residences and carts to wheel us around in. Hope we can come up with something better.

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,937
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Something JMAC said was just dead wrong, PERIOD. I just pointed it out with a source and link.

    "As far as I can tell"
    I don't care how far you can tell.
    I can tell far enough to see that you are only here to agitate. Intimidate. Humiliate.

    Honestly, you are not very good at it. But sure have done a fine job of wrecking this thread if that was your secondary intention. You are pretty obvious.

    Look @ your sig line:

    "Well, I disagree with you. That makes it two to one....you lose." RoBoTeq

    "You mean like we give Indians on the reservations opportunities to better themselves and they take all of those advantages and do great things?" HUGH B


    I have never seen one quite like that before. I think it is clearly intended to be a standing insult to said fellow members. Who is the bully?
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,937
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Actual unemployment has always been higher than reported unemployment due to the nature of sampling the population. Has been the same north of the border. It is hard to know what the people that drop out of the system, do they work under the table, go back to school, move away? The system is not perfect and the numbers are only for comparison purposes to show where we were and where we are going.


    As far as unskilled labor receiving a lower wage as stated in the original article they are not saying lower skilled workers expect to get paid as higher skilled workers. They are saying that the person with lower skills will be getting paid less now than they would have when the economy was healthy. Of course we all realize that but it makes it hard to point fingers at all those low skilled people when you look at it that way.

    The article also says that much of the job loss that will not be returning is in the housing sector. Hard for the sector to bounce back when it was oversupplying a market that was built on speculation. The gains that the other parts of the economy have to make to pick up the housing slack does not seem achievable, not like manufacturing is picking up the ball and running with it. Much cheaper to produce goods in a low cost country.

    So where are the jobs to come from? While the country can use an overhaul to its infrastructure the payback will not be as great as in the 30's and 40's. The reason why is the network of roads, increase in power generation, water/waste..., all increased the capability of the country above what it was beforehand.

    Greater mobility increased trade, gave people the ability to live farther outside the cities, increasing housing, all the manufactured goods to fill all those houses, cars in every garage. It was not just a case of throwing money into the system and that money kick starting the economy but it was the transforming of a way of life.

    Money spent now days will not have the same effect. The money will just give use what we already have. The roads may be smoother and newer buildings will take the place of old ones but nothing will really be transformed. Where manufacturing got a boost as more people had to have a new washing machine or toaster now days those things come from outside the country.

    Without a new game changer that transforms our society you will not see more than small gains as we go along. The last one was the home computer and networking, they expanded what we consider as normal. Shame most of the manufacturing gains were made offshore.

    As the article said, health care is going to carry a lot of weight in our economy as our societies grow older. Maybe there will be a building boom for elderly residences and carts to wheel us around in. Hope we can come up with something better.
    Great post, Printer.

    So what do we throw money at to spur the economy? Or should we just stop throwing money and let the dominoes fall where they may? I think the latter, and folks will just have to adjust. Obama seems to think the "green energy" cr@p will be our next transformation, but I ain't seeing it happen. If it does, prolly come from the private sector anyway without fed help.

    Maybe I should look into a "Rascal" dealership....
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I cannot imagine living in a world where I am not equal to others that I can strive to be equal to or can help become equal to me.

    Socialism pretends to be communal in making everyone equal whether they deserve to be or not while in reality Socialism takes away the communal attitude that allows us to strive to better ourselves and help others make themselves better.

    In essence, Socialism is against the very nature of mankind and the way we were Created to function naturally. Socialism is nothing but a tool for elitists rise high above and control the "equally" poor masses. Ironically, Socialism is achieved by using the stupidity and gullibility of the masses to achieve it's goal. So many of the masses wrongly think that they will become part of the elitist group in a Socialized nation when in fact only a few will become wealthy and powerful. Even more ironically, in order to continue to feed the Socialist machine, the elite must constantly be thinned down in order for the masses to be able to pay for those who are still LEFT.
    Well said, I had this conversation with an employee about a week ago. He believes we have lost our sense of community more or less because government has not forced it upon us enough through higer taxes and more government programs.

    Strange view, given that our government has done nothing but grow and gain more control over the years while our sense of community, family and moral values have been in decline.

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by cool-in-cayman View Post

    Strange view, given that our government has done nothing but grow and gain more control over the years while our sense of community, family and moral values have been in decline.
    That is a false analogy.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    That is a false analogy.
    So you are saying that more or less government has no bearing on community, family or moral values? Or is it you don't like one side of the analogy which suggests that we were better off when we had less government.?

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Great post, Printer.

    So what do we throw money at to spur the economy? Or should we just stop throwing money and let the dominoes fall where they may? I think the latter, and folks will just have to adjust. Obama seems to think the "green energy" cr@p will be our next transformation, but I ain't seeing it happen. If it does, prolly come from the private sector anyway without fed help.

    Maybe I should look into a "Rascal" dealership....
    The green energy thing would be a game changer but as long as we have cheap energy it is not going to happen. The only way it would have any legs is if energy prices increased to make it cost effective. Kind of the reason for an energy tax, not that I am advocating for it. I do believe we need to get off of carbon fuels at least for surface transportation (no other real option for airplanes) and unless we want a big jolt to our way of life it will take a 50 years to achieve the amount of power we need.

    That is a long term project and we need something to get us through the next 10 year span. The problem with any technological innovations is that we are at the point where we can mechanize most of the labor component out and produce goods without much need for people. That is why the push on infrastructure spending, hard to outsource the guy pouring concrete. But it does not lead to inovation that we need to grow.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event