Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water mist help cooling my AC condenser unit

Post Likes

Water mist help cooling my AC condenser unit

I have done experiment on my home a/c unit.

I went to Home depot and purchase water mist system for your porch they use this thing on desert areas.
    So I had bright idea that if i install this guys around my condenser unit and when compressor comes on it turns on mist. i figure it cools condenser faster help compressor work less hard.
    but that’s not the case, when mist turns on my supply air temp went up instead i expected temp. should go down.

Is this normal or I'm missing something here, I know theory of how a/c works.
    Please someone explain. Thanks.

2. Likes Pinco Pallino liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Don't take this the wrong way, but thats a bad idea.
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but thats a bad idea.
    Agreed

Post Likes
    Well it could be a good thing if the unit is too small. Once its completely trashed the op can get a properly sized unit. just sayin!

Post Likes
    In theory, you are correct. Misting the condenser WILL help out the unit, especially if you are in a dry climate.

Here is where the problem lies.

What ELSE is in the water? What does water do when it gets mixed up with electricity? What happens to metal that is continually exposed to water?

Just some food for thought...

Post Likes
    Water mist will lower the head pressure. But with some metering devices, overall freon flow will be reduced, lowering total cooling.

Besides the lime in the water will be deposited on the coil, clogging it. Then you need a new coil. Ususlly not a good idea.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    Here in Texas the hard water can cause deterioration to fins of condenser coils.

Post Likes
    We have a company around here that swears by these things. Even goes on the radio touting how they will lower your energy bill by a large percentage. He said you can go inside feel the difference in the air temp as soon as you turn it on and then go watch your electrical meter spin less.
    Always here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    We have a company around here that swears by these things. Even goes on the radio touting how they will lower your energy bill by a large percentage. He said you can go inside feel the difference in the air temp as soon as you turn it on and then go watch your electrical meter spin less.
    It all depends on your water quality, your climate and your metering device. I can see how it would work with some systems in some areas. I have used it for temporary with corroded outdoor coils that needed to make it a couple more weeks before replacements would arrive.

Post Likes

interesting post

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    Water mist will lower the head pressure. But with some metering devices, overall freon flow will be reduced, lowering total cooling.

Besides the lime in the water will be deposited on the coil, clogging it. Then you need a new coil. Ususlly not a good idea.
    hey Kevin , could you elaborate on your statement "overall freon flow will be reduced , lowering total cooling"........does misting the condenser make that large of a difference to the unit subcooling to affect its performance????? I was going to post about fouling the condenser also . at o'hare airport we found a rooftop full of units that were repainted But no one told the workers not to paint the coils , subject for a different thread.........Jack

Post Likes
    A piston metering device controls Freon flow with pressure difference. Spraying water on the outdoor coil lowers the head pressure. Therefore lower pressure difference, therefore lower flow through a fixed oriface. Therefore less cooling. However efficiency can go up, so compressor amps drop. If you use water spray, you will need to add Freon to get enough cooling.

If you have a TXV, you will have less trouble.

Post Likes
    Freezer with a cap tube will do the same thing. Clean that coil with water for a few min and the system pressure will drop too low and the metering devise no longer has enough pressure behind it to cause expansion, and you nave less cooling. I.E. the evap that was frozen over will start to melt.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RickCyin View Post
    I have done experiment on my home a/c unit.

I went to Home depot and purchase water mist system for your porch they use this thing on desert areas.
    So I had bright idea that if i install this guys around my condenser unit and when compressor comes on it turns on mist. i figure it cools condenser faster help compressor work less hard.
    but that’s not the case, when mist turns on my supply air temp went up instead i expected temp. should go down.

Is this normal or I'm missing something here, I know theory of how a/c works.
    Please someone explain. Thanks.
    water fills up the condenser fins creating less heat transfer un less the water is 50* lower than the ambient temp you are pissing in the wind .......and on your unit!

Post Likes
    if you hooked it up to a head pressure switch and had it work between maybe 200 and 225 pounds or so it may work???

depends how much water costs

if the water was from a pond or free may be worth it??
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Probably be better off just running a duct down to an enclosed insulated box, that just
    surrounds the condenser coil and let it draw in cold air. Maybe a good idea if you have a a zoned
    system and need to dump some air somewhere.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    yeah!

if you hade a vvt system?

you could dump the bypass air onto the condenser!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Probably be better off just running a duct down to an enclosed insulated box, that just
    surrounds the condenser coil and let it draw in cold air. Maybe a good idea if you have a a zoned
    system and need to dump some air somewhere.
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    It helps leave mineral deposits on your system components, up to and including the electrical connection portion of your heat rejection motor. Case in point is a customer in above design temps here locally...decided to use water mist to assist the drycooler. One day a different chap turned on the water, and happened to turn it on 100% rather than the usual (reduced) percentage.
    Enter the 4 a.m. service call, complete with a scaled-over motor...just evidence, mind you...

and a 95 degree data center.
    Oh, BTW, that shorted-out motor with scale everywhere and wet wire nuts's is billable...

just food for thought.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

Post Likes
    Aren't condensing units designed to handle reduced head pressure caused by latent cooling from water?

It does rain in many places and condensing unit gets wet, ya know.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    Aren't condensing units designed to handle reduced head pressure caused by latent cooling from water?

It does rain in many places and condensing unit gets wet, ya know.
    When it rains, very little rain actually gets on the coil unless you have heavy winds and a driving rain. But in that case its only 1, maybe 2 sides of the condenser getting wet. also when its raining the temperature is usually lower and its cloudy, resulting in a lower load on the A/C system which masks the lower capacity of the system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    When it rains, very little rain actually gets on the coil unless you have heavy winds and a driving rain. But in that case its only 1, maybe 2 sides of the condenser getting wet. also when its raining the temperature is usually lower and its cloudy, resulting in a lower load on the A/C system which masks the lower capacity of the system.
    Hot and muggy, then sudden rain isn't unusual.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in