Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 80
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fullerton CA
    Posts
    8

    Water mist help cooling my AC condenser unit

    I have done experiment on my home a/c unit.

    I went to Home depot and purchase water mist system for your porch they use this thing on desert areas.
    So I had bright idea that if i install this guys around my condenser unit and when compressor comes on it turns on mist. i figure it cools condenser faster help compressor work less hard.
    but that’s not the case, when mist turns on my supply air temp went up instead i expected temp. should go down.

    Is this normal or I'm missing something here, I know theory of how a/c works.
    Please someone explain. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a mechanical room....
    Posts
    1,887
    Don't take this the wrong way, but thats a bad idea.
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

    - E.E. Cummings

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,932
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but thats a bad idea.
    Agreed

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    191
    Well it could be a good thing if the unit is too small. Once its completely trashed the op can get a properly sized unit. just sayin!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,400
    In theory, you are correct. Misting the condenser WILL help out the unit, especially if you are in a dry climate.

    Here is where the problem lies.

    What ELSE is in the water? What does water do when it gets mixed up with electricity? What happens to metal that is continually exposed to water?

    Just some food for thought...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    2,919
    Water mist will lower the head pressure. But with some metering devices, overall freon flow will be reduced, lowering total cooling.

    Besides the lime in the water will be deposited on the coil, clogging it. Then you need a new coil. Ususlly not a good idea.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    497
    Here in Texas the hard water can cause deterioration to fins of condenser coils.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    3,824
    We have a company around here that swears by these things. Even goes on the radio touting how they will lower your energy bill by a large percentage. He said you can go inside feel the difference in the air temp as soon as you turn it on and then go watch your electrical meter spin less.
    Always here

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    2,919
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    We have a company around here that swears by these things. Even goes on the radio touting how they will lower your energy bill by a large percentage. He said you can go inside feel the difference in the air temp as soon as you turn it on and then go watch your electrical meter spin less.
    It all depends on your water quality, your climate and your metering device. I can see how it would work with some systems in some areas. I have used it for temporary with corroded outdoor coils that needed to make it a couple more weeks before replacements would arrive.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Skokie , IL near chicago
    Posts
    1,126

    interesting post

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    Water mist will lower the head pressure. But with some metering devices, overall freon flow will be reduced, lowering total cooling.

    Besides the lime in the water will be deposited on the coil, clogging it. Then you need a new coil. Ususlly not a good idea.
    hey Kevin , could you elaborate on your statement "overall freon flow will be reduced , lowering total cooling"........does misting the condenser make that large of a difference to the unit subcooling to affect its performance????? I was going to post about fouling the condenser also . at o'hare airport we found a rooftop full of units that were repainted But no one told the workers not to paint the coils , subject for a different thread.........Jack

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    2,919
    A piston metering device controls Freon flow with pressure difference. Spraying water on the outdoor coil lowers the head pressure. Therefore lower pressure difference, therefore lower flow through a fixed oriface. Therefore less cooling. However efficiency can go up, so compressor amps drop. If you use water spray, you will need to add Freon to get enough cooling.

    If you have a TXV, you will have less trouble.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,260
    Freezer with a cap tube will do the same thing. Clean that coil with water for a few min and the system pressure will drop too low and the metering devise no longer has enough pressure behind it to cause expansion, and you nave less cooling. I.E. the evap that was frozen over will start to melt.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greenville, SC, good ol' USA
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by RickCyin View Post
    I have done experiment on my home a/c unit.

    I went to Home depot and purchase water mist system for your porch they use this thing on desert areas.
    So I had bright idea that if i install this guys around my condenser unit and when compressor comes on it turns on mist. i figure it cools condenser faster help compressor work less hard.
    but that’s not the case, when mist turns on my supply air temp went up instead i expected temp. should go down.

    Is this normal or I'm missing something here, I know theory of how a/c works.
    Please someone explain. Thanks.
    water fills up the condenser fins creating less heat transfer un less the water is 50* lower than the ambient temp you are pissing in the wind .......and on your unit!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event