Two-Speed Outdoor Unit & HV Air Handler

Hello -
    I am a Commercial/Industrial Tech with 23 years experience in that field. I am considering putting in a Unico 4860 (410a TXV) air handler in my 1881 one-room-schoolhouse-turned-residence, but I am concerned about the choice of an outdoor unit (leaning towards a Lennox XP-Series heat pump), considering the 30+ degree delta T and supposed SEER-killing effects of the aforementioned HV system read elsewhere on this site. The supply ducting (SpacePak) and the return ducting are in place. Considering 20"-thick stone walls (and awesome insulation on the areas without stone walls), I'm sized for a 5-ton load. I was wondering if two-speed compressors can be used with HV systems. Seems appropriate that, at 80% capacity, I can cool and dehumidify with 48K btu in lower-load conditions (even with the fan at a constant speed) but I have no experience in the area. Any intelligent input would be appreciated!

Brad

Unico and Spacepak dehumidify fine with single stage condensers.

Might not dehumidify as well with a 2 stage. Since with only a single speed, your shr will increase a lot. Unless you get a HV with a VS blower.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Unico and soon SpacePak offer chillers, which may work better with their units.

Another brand, whose blower motors seem a cut above both SpacePak and Unico, is Hi-Velocity: http://www.hi-velocity.com/. However, some of that advantage, which comes from their optional controller for zoned systems that maintains a constant pressure down to 150cfm. It wouldn't work with a DX AC or HP though.

At 5-tons you are just above the biggest Daikin Altherma reverse cycle VRV chillers which is 4.5-tons.