Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down

NYTimes.com > Opinion

EDITORIAL
    Making Things Worse

Published: October 26, 2004

President Bush's misbegotten invasion of Iraq appears to have achieved what Saddam Hussein did not: putting dangerous weapons in the hands of terrorists and creating an offshoot of Al Qaeda in Iraq.

The murder of dozens of Iraqi Army recruits over the weekend is being attributed to the forces of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who has been identified by the Bush administration as a leading terrorist and a supposed link between Iraq and Al Qaeda. That was not true before the war - as multiple investigations have shown. But the breakdown of order since the invasion has changed all that. This terrorist, who has claimed many attacks on occupation forces and the barbaric murder of hostages, recently swore allegiance to Osama bin Laden and renamed his group Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia.

The hideous murder of the recruits was a reminder of the Bush administration's dangerously inflated claims about training an Iraqi security force. The officials responsible for these inexperienced young men sent them home for leave without weapons or guards, at a time when police and army recruits are constantly attacked. The men who killed them wore Iraqi National Guard uniforms.

A particularly horrific case of irony involves weapons of mass destruction. It's been obvious for months that American forces were not going to find the chemical or biological armaments that Mr. Bush said were stockpiled in Iraq. What we didn't know is that while they were looking for weapons that did not exist, they lost weapons that did.

James Glanz, William J. Broad and David E. Sanger reported in The Times yesterday that some 380 tons of the kinds of powerful explosives used to destroy airplanes, demolish buildings, make missile warheads and trigger nuclear weapons have disappeared from one of the many places in Iraq that the United States failed to secure. The United Nations inspectors disdained by the Bush administration had managed to monitor the explosives for years. But they vanished soon after the United States took over the job. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld was so bent on proving his theory of lightning warfare that he ignored the generals who said an understaffed and underarmed invasion force could rush to Baghdad, but couldn't hold the rest of the country, much less guard things like the ammunition dump.

Iraqi and American officials cannot explain how some 760,000 pounds of explosives were spirited away from a well-known site just 30 miles from Baghdad. But they were warned. Within weeks of the invasion, international weapons inspectors told Washington that the explosives depot was in danger and that terrorists could help themselves "to the greatest explosives bonanza in history."

The disastrous theft was revealed in a recent letter to an international agency in Vienna. It was signed by the general director of Iraq's Planning and Following Up Directorate. It's too bad the Bush administration doesn't have one of those.

A vote for the shrub is a vote for incompetence!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Originally posted by bootlen
    I would laugh too but I can't seem to see anything funny about 1109 DEAD American soldiers with the promise of many more to come because of the shrub's illegitamate war in Iraqnam. I wonder how many more casualties we are going to have because of the stolen munitions? Just more proof of this admins incompetence. DEADLY incompetence.

Angry My Opinion>Aircooled<<

As I see it motorboy 1, you need to stop blaming the government here, for what is happening in IRAQ...

Peace keeping force to insure the estabishment of new democratic government in Iraq is our role right now October 2004. I have 4 family members and a friend has both sons in Iraq, to insure your freedom,so don't use your mouth so much on what you see on the T.V.........
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Originally posted by motorboy1
    I would laugh too but I can't seem to see anything funny about 1109 DEAD American soldiers with the promise of many more to come because of the shrub's illegitamate war in Iraqnam. I wonder how many more casualties we are going to have because of the stolen munitions? Just more proof of this admins incompetence. DEADLY incompetence.
    ================================================== =========

Yeah, motor, I can't laugh about 1109 dead either. Nor about traitorous snots like you and the K meister.

I'm laughing about the fact that you are posting something here that has been proven to be so inaccurate and it falls right into line with your typical posts.

Ya know, I bet you know just about enough about Viet Nam to be stupid. Don't talk about things of which you have no knowledge.

And you obviously know little to nothing about the mindset of the Muslim extremists.

Run down to Wal-Mart and buy a brain. While you're there, pick up about 3 foot of backbone. You're in dire need of both.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

NBCNEWS: HUGE CACHE OF EXPLOSIVES VANISHED FROM SITE IN IRAQ -- AT LEAST 18 MONTHS AGO -- BEFORE TROOPS ARRIVED

The NYTIMES urgently reported on Monday in an apprent October Surprise: The Iraqi interim government has warned the United States and international nuclear inspectors that nearly 380 tons of powerful conventional explosives are now missing from one of Iraq's most sensitive former military installations.

Jumping on the TIMES exclusive, Dem presidential candidate John Kerry blasted the Bush administration for its failure to "guard those stockpiles."

"This is one of the great blunders of Iraq, one of the great blunders of this administration," Kerry said.

In an election week rush:

**ABCNEWS Mentioned The Iraq Explosives Depot At Least 4 Times
    **CBSNEWS Mentioned The Iraq Explosives Depot At Least 7 Times
    **MSNBC Mentioned The Iraq Explosives Depot At Least 37 Times
    **CNN Mentioned The Iraq Explosives Depot At Least 50 Times

But tonight, NBCNEWS reported: The 380 tons of powerful conventional explosives were already missing back in April 10, 2003 -- when U.S. troops arrived at the installation south of Baghdad!

An NBCNEWS crew embedded with troops moved in to secure the Al-Qaqaa weapons facility on April 10, 2003, one day after the liberation of Iraq.

According to NBCNEWS, the HMX and RDX explosives were already missing when the American troops arrived.

The TIMES left the impression the weapons site had been looted of its explosives recently, and since Iraq has been under US control.

The TIMES reported: "The huge facility, called Al Qaqaa, was supposed to be under American military control but is now a no man's land, still picked over by looters as recently as Sunday."

[In a fresh Page One story set for Tuesday on the matter, the TIMES once again omits any reference to troops not finding any explosives at the site when they arrived in April of 2003. Attempts to reach managing editor Jill Abramson late Monday were unsuccessful.]

"The U.S. Army was at the site one day after the liberation and the weapons were already gone," a top Republican blasted from Washington late Monday.

The International Atomic Energy Agency inspectors last saw the explosives in January 2003 when they took an inventory and placed fresh seals on the bunkers.

Dem vp hopeful John Edwards blasted Bush for not securing the explosives: "It is reckless and irresponsible to fail to protect and safeguard one of the largest weapons sites in the country. And by either ignoring these mistakes or being clueless about them, George Bush has failed. He has failed as our commander in chief; he has failed as president."

A senior Bush official e-mailed DRUDGE late Monday: "Let me get this straight, are Mr. Kerry and Mr. Edwards now saying we did not go into Iraq soon enough? We should have invaded and liberated Iraq sooner?"

Top Kerry adviser Joe Lockhart fired back Monday night: "In a shameless attempt to cover up its failure to secure 380 tons of highly explosive material in Iraq, the White House is desperately flailing in an effort to escape blame. Instead of distorting John Kerry’s words, the Bush campaign is now falsely and deliberately twisting the reports of journalists. It is the latest pathetic excuse from an administration that never admits a mistake, no matter how disastrous."

Hey, motor. Read it and weep!

Proud member of KA Club

^^^^^^^^ Now I would call that a Motorbreath thrashing sound !^^^^^^^^^^^

The one thing that is oustanding about

Motorboy and the rest that are cast from the same die that post here have one thing in common. They are wild eyed crazed "Bush Haters" While at the same time they have no clue about Kerry's vision or plan for the country. Come to think of it, Kerry himself has no plan or vision. He and his sheep are running strickly on a "I hate Bush" platform. If Kerry wins, Kerry is screwed along with his lemmings because the wheels and responsibilities of government will crush them underfoot. They have no clue about the REAL TRUTH.

thats the problem with the news you dont know if its real or fake now a days, i guess its all a matter of getting ratings.

Posted on Wed, Oct. 27, 2004

WEAPONS

U.S. military unit allegedly lacked order to hunt missing explosives

U.S. troops that arrived at the Al Qaqaa military installation in Iraq after the fall of Baghad were not ordered to secure the facility or search for high-explosive weapons, a military spokesman said.

BY KIMBERLY HEFLING

Associated Press

The first U.S. military unit to reach the Al Qaqaa military installation after the fall of Baghdad did not have orders to search for the nearly 400 tons of explosives that are missing from the site, the unit spokesman said Tuesday.

When troops from the 101st Airborne Division's 2nd Brigade arrived at the Al Qaqaa base a day or so after coalition troops seized Baghdad on April 9, 2003, there were already looters throughout the facility, Lt. Col. Fred Wellman, deputy public affairs officer for the unit, told The Associated Press.

The soldiers ''secured the area they were in and looked in a limited amount of bunkers to ensure chemical weapons were not present in their area,'' Wellman wrote in an e-mail message. ``Bombs were found but not chemical weapons in that immediate area.

''Orders were not given from higher to search or to secure the facility or to search for HE type munitions, as they [high-explosive weapons] were everywhere in Iraq,'' he wrote.

His remarks appeared to confirm the observations of an NBC reporter embedded with the army unit who said Tuesday that she saw no signs that the Americans searched for the powerful explosives during their 24 hours at the facility en route to Baghdad, 30 miles to the north.

Their comments came two weeks after Iraq's Ministry of Science and Technology told the International Atomic Energy Agency that the explosives had vanished from the former military installation as a result of ''theft and looting . . . due to lack of security.'' The letter said the explosives were stolen sometime after coalition forces took control of Baghdad on April 9, 2003.

The disappearance, which the U.N. nuclear agency reported to the Security Council on Monday, has raised questions about why the United States didn't do more to secure the facility and failed to allow full international inspections to resume after the March 2003 invasion.

RUSSIA

On Tuesday, Russia, citing the disappearance, called on the U.N. Security Council to discuss the return of U.N. weapons inspectors to Iraq. But the United States said American inspectors were investigating the loss and that there was no need for U.N. experts to return.

The missing explosives have become a major issue in the final week of the presidential campaign, with Vice President Dick Cheney questioning on Tuesday whether the explosives were still at the facility when U.S. troops arrived, and the Kerry campaign calling the disappearance the latest in a ''tragic series of blunders'' by the Bush administration.

The Al Qaqaa explosives included HMX and RDX, key components in plastic explosives, which insurgents in Iraq have used in repeated bomb attacks on U.S.-led multinational forces and Iraqi police and national guardsmen. But HMX is also a ''dual use'' substance powerful enough to ignite the fissile material in an atomic bomb and set off a nuclear chain reaction.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said Monday that coalition forces were present in the vicinity of the site both during and after major combat operations, which ended on May 1, 2003. He said they searched the facility but found none of the explosives in question. The Pentagon would not say whether it had informed the IAEA that the conventional explosives were not where they were supposed to be.

The explosives had been housed in storage bunkers at the facility. U.N. nuclear inspectors placed fresh seals over the bunker doors in January 2003. The inspectors visited Al Qaqaa for the last time on March 15, 2003, and reported that the seals were not broken -- therefore, the weapons were still there at the time. The team then pulled out of the country in advance of the invasion later that month.

CHENEY COMMENT

Cheney raised the possibility the explosives disappeared before U.S. soldiers could secure the site in the immediate aftermath of the invasion.

''It is not at all clear that those explosives were even at the weapons facility when our troops arrived in the area of Baghdad,'' Cheney said Tuesday.

As the missing explosives became a heated campaign issue, NBC News quoted Army officials on condition of anonymity Tuesday night that troops from the Army's 3rd Infantry Division arrived at Al Qaqaa on April 4, finding ''looters everywhere'' carrying what they could out on their backs.

The troops searched bunkers and found conventional weapons but no high explosives, NBC quoted the officials as saying.

The network said that with more than 1,000 buildings, the complex was so large that it was not clear the troops even saw the bunkers that might have held the explosives.

Earlier Tuesday, NBC News reporter Lai Ling Jew, who accompanied the 101st Airborne, said the unit seized Al Qaqaa on April 10 and remained there for 24 hours before joining the 3rd Infantry Division in the capital.

''As far as we could tell, there was no move to secure the weapons, nothing to keep looters away,'' she said.

Hey, James. Read it and weep!

Originally posted by bb
    See my last post...I think James got the thrashing.

Originally posted by bb
    ================================================== ==========

Ya gotta do better than that.

The place had a U.N. seal on it. That was one of the reasons they were told not to perform a search.

Proud member of KA Club

Originally posted by bb
    ================================================== ==========

Ya gotta do better than that.

The place had a U.N. seal on it. That was one of the reasons they were told not to perform a search.

You can't argue with a fence post boot, even though the fence post is smarter !!

What a !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast