Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Recently I changed oil pumps on two 30GTR Carrier Chillers. One chiller was 2 years old and the other about 4 years old. The oil pressure (differential) would erratically drop to 5 psi. I did not visibly see any defect or worn areas on the removed pump assembly. These replacements apparently resolved the problems (note: I later also change out a bad oil pressure switch). Now I have a third 30GTR unit about 4 years old that's also faulting on the oil pressure alarm. These units are too new to be having this type of problem. I haven't spoke to Carrier yet, but I was wonder if anyone has been having similar problems or know of a possible factory problem?

p.s. All out of warranty work.

Thanks

Your joking right. Your lucky if you get a Carrier chiller that runs out of the box. They are still using the end user for feild testing their products.
    Originally posted by pbcd
    These units are too new to be having this type of problem.

p.s. All out of warranty work.

Thanks
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Originally posted by absrbrtek
    Your joking right. Your lucky if you get a Carrier chiller that runs out of the box. They are still using the end user for feild testing their products.
    [
    [/B]
    Sometimes I wonder what motivates people to make such stupid statements.

I am not aware of a problem with oil pumps on those machines. The compressors are the LONG TESTED 06 semis and the GTR is a machine that has been around for a long time. Lots of things can affect the pump and oil pressure. If the superheat is to high the higher temps will certainly hurt the oil itself and damage the viscosity as well as the oil pump. If you are getting liquid back with to low a superheat it will also cause oil migration, oil pump damage and even main bearing failure in the compressor. If the main bearing has excessive wear the oil pressure will drop. The longer it runs the lower it gets. Of course changeing the oil pump would not solve this. I would really take a long look at the superheat, subcooling and machine operation to see what may be causing this.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Annapolis, MD: ragboat capitol of the world
    Plain, are these the chillers with the "step motor" TXV's or real TXV's? The step motor TXV without a mid position sensor was an accident waiting to happen, I have to agree with absrbrtek on Carrier's willingness to push untested product.

pbcd didn't tell us anything about the superheat, only the net oil pressure
    Sam

Know-it-all? Nope, not even half!

You dont think Carrier feild tests their equipment on the end user? Ive seen it way too many with them. 19XRT, 16JT, 19EB Factory conversions, to name a few, all tested on the end user. All failures and pulled off the market with little or no support. The customer is stuck suing to get satisfaction for the hundreds of thousands of dollars they spent.
    Originally posted by plain spoken
    [

[/B]
    [Edited by absrbrtek on 10-26-2004 at 09:40 PM]

Unhappy

Unfortunately all manufacturers put out some of their products before they have been thoroughly tested. Blame it on Marketing, they hear of some new bell or whistle the other competitors don't have and begin talking it up to their customers and before Engineering is really ready, orders are being requested....

For the oil press to suddenly drop like that, I would suspect liq refrig flashing in crankcase or short on oil. Is oil level proper? Is there any foaming in sight glass? I have not heard of any particular problem with the oil pumps. But, if this took care of the problem on the other two compressors..it's possible to have gotten a bad batch during that particular production run. Good Luck

I have not seen any signs of liquid floodback (sweating crankcase or oil being foamy) on any of these units. I assume a breakdown (high temp.) in oil would not result in “intermittent” drops in oil pressure. The oil levels have all been about midway. EXVs are being using on all units. Bad batch of pumps sounds like a possibility. Spoke to Carrier rep. and was told that he not heard of any problems.

p.s.
    I would rather not discuss Carrier’s ethics or possible indiscretion since none of it will help to provide useful insight towards resolving my problem.

Thanks

the oil level should be at a max 1/3 of sight glass. did you actually see the oil pressure drop to 5 psi with gauges hooked up? read your temperature sensors at the board using dc scale and look up to convert it to temperature so you know what the unit is looking at for superheat. what is the oil pressure running at while it is running?

You dont think Carrier feild tests their equipment on the end user? Ive seen it way too many with them.
    [
    [Edited by absrbrtek on 10-26-2004 at 09:40 PM] [/B]

I must agree with Absorbtek.

Friend, you have much knowledge in this trade. That much is obvious.
    But your screen name speaks volumes, as well as your signature file.
    If you expect people to listen to you, you might try a diferent approach to sharing information.

There are men and women here who are far above either of us. And for the most part ... they are accepted for what they say ...and respected.
    And I guess that if ol Icemeister or Xpster or Diceman wanted to act a little cranky from time to time ... nobody would make mention of it.
    Because they are NOT like that all the time.

There is an awful lot of talent around this community! No doubt about it.

But nothing will ever be put to good use unless it's presented in a respctful manner.

If I wouldnt think of speaking my mind to an employer or co-worker ... for obvious reasons .... then I certainly would not expect to be able to come online here to this fine group of people and shoot my mouth off ....

But then again .... that's just the way things are done around here.
    It wasnt my idea ... but I follow it and it works for us.

So the "opinionated" response of the poster is OK to ignore, but my response sets you off?

I guess to some degree I agree with you. I respect a lot of posters on this board, and Absrbtek is one of them. I do speak my mind and would do that anywhere, including with the people you mentioned. I do believe in standing up for my believes.

It was the accusatory opinion that set me off when I know it is not so. A lot of people read this board, not all (or for that matter many) of them know much about this industry. Most of us that do know the industry realize that we all have opinions, likes and dislikes, axes to grind and bad taste in our mouths. We can just look at such a post and take it for what it is, an opinion. But what about those who do not know. How will they be effected? How many people will go and try something real stupid based on what they see here without knowing the real facts or implications of their actions. I believe we ALL need to be more careful about what we say.

While I still blieve in my postion I want to extend my apoligies to Absrbrtek for showing disrespect! My response was more for the idea that the units are all bad out of the box than that there is a lack of R&D. Sadly, all manufactuer's are using us for field test today.

[Edited by plain spoken on 10-27-2004 at 04:56 PM]
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

No need to apologize I wasnt offended. Its just my opinion. We all have one and may not all agree. Thats just the way I see it with Carrier. Im sure that others may not see it that way. Its very hard using the written language to get a feeling for the other poster. When we are using verbal communications we have, expressions, tone of voice, demeanor, etc to judge a statement on. Peace!!
    So the "opinionated" response of the poster is OK to ignore, but my response sets you off?

I guess to some degree I agree with you. I respect a lot of posters on this board, and Absrbtek is one of them. I do speak my mind and would do that anywhere, including with the people you mentioned. I do believe in standing up for my believes.

It was the accusatory opinion that set me off when I know it is not so. A lot of people read this board, not all (or for that matter many) of them know much about this industry. Most of us that do know the industry realize that we all have opinions, likes and dislikes, axes to grind and bad taste in our mouths. We can just look at such a post and take it for what it is, an opinion. But what about those who do not know. How will they be effected? How many people will go and try something real stupid based on what they see here without knowing the real facts or implications of their actions. I believe we ALL need to be more careful about what we say.

While I still blieve in my postion I want to extend my apoligies to Absrbrtek for showing disrespect! My response was more for the idea that the units are all bad out of the box than that there is a lack of R&D. Sadly, all manufactuer's are using us for field test today.

[Edited by plain spoken on 10-27-2004 at 04:56 PM]

What was the question???

Oil blowing by as compressor loads up?
    I'd pull the heads for a little inspection.
    Bernie
    If you cant fix it right, try again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast