What does an entry tech need to know? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Cloned is right, keep your God talk to yourself, it makes a much better workplace and you have a less of a chance for a lawsuit from a pissed off employee.

Things i did not know when starting out

Tried to pull a vacuum untill the micron gage said 500 and use nitrogen when brazing--this does not go over well with the service manager when charging a flat rate.
    All those damn days i showed up fifteen minutes early for no extra pay at 10-12 bucks an hour--i sure should have just slept in and showed up right at 8 when the pay starts, don't pimp yourself out thats the employers job.
    Saying i would do service instead of installations when there was three months left untill january--i had no savings and had to buy tools on the ol credit card.
    Spent too much time on preventative maintenance trying to do every possible item on the list--this just made me look slow and i should have spent more time studying the equiptment.
    Most employers do not care much about your knowledge of the code or manual J and such they just want you to make money for them.
    Any employer who won't deal with at least a few of your imperfections probably does not deserve your skills either.

Just my experience.

listen

Listen well to the guys that have been in the field for a while, but beware of the guys that have been in for a while and don't know much!

be on time, ask questions , (don't be over anxious) ,learn the basic refrigeration cycle first, basic electrical, troubleshooting and controls will come in time ,give the mechanic you're working with ample room to work , can't stand it when jr mechs keep bumping into you trying to look over your shoulder

beware of the phrase"i am a twenty year mechanic" 9 times out of 10 the guys that feel the need to tell you how long they've been in the biz ain't worth squat. if your just starting out the best advice i can give you is learn 1 new thing each and every day

Originally posted by nyc/ac/man
    beware of the phrase"i am a twenty year mechanic" 9 times out of 10 the guys that feel the need to tell you how long they've been in the biz ain't worth squat. if your just starting out the best advice i can give you is learn 1 new thing each and every day

AMEN BROTHER oops, not religous,just agreeing
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123