What does an entry tech need to know?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up

Just a few questions I am graduateing in Dec from a 2 yr hvac school and am epa certified. What do the employers expect of you when you first get out of school. I have the basics you think that is good enuf?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Alot depends on the school you attended,some are great ,some are not.Either way you shuld be in a position to start at entry level.

Hey new guy ... welcome to the community.

The company will expect you to be able to put your gages on, test various components for voltage and amp draw. Be able to jump out a T-stat for simple heating/ cooling.
    Be able to replace a simple fan motor. Make a solid braze joint. Use a recovery machine and extract the charge.

Work safe, eyes on job, ears open, mouth open only to ask questions pertaining to the work at hand.
    TEAM
    Smile.
    ATTITUDE.
    Hygeine.
    Language.
    Appearance.
    No horseplay.
    T e a m W o r k.
    No crude jokes.
    Apropriate Clothing.
    No asking for time off.
    No negative anything spoken.
    Honor others; time, tools, space.
    Buy your own basic hand tools/ gages.
    Dont ask to stop to take a break for a meal.
    Always show up on time, early if your serious.
    Don't smoke around people who don't smoke.
    Make sure you are "down-wind" before you fart.
    Dont ever purchase or use chewing gum. Period!

If your a jerk, hide your identity.
    If you have a foul mouth, leave it at home.
    If you dont know what to wear or how to dress, copy Dave Lennox or Engineer Bill. But leave your body piercings/ jewelry off and at home, if you are into that sort of stuff.
    If you smell bad, wash. If your girlfriend likes the cologne you wear ... ignore her. Think of the por slob who's gotta put up with you for twelve hours a day!
    Sweat is a Great smell! It testifies you have been working!!!
    (this does NOT apply to Central Texas) (everyone sweats here ... just step outside 8 mos out of the year)

Dont argue with anyone, ever, while on the clock. Wait until your asleep. Do it in your dreams!

If someone's wrong, unless it is life threatening or unsafe... let it go. Make your report to your supervisor. Your co workers are not the one's to tell what is the best way to do their jobs. Let your boss figure it all out.

And even then ... you may still get canned for speaking up, even when your right and meant no harm.
    Nobody likes someone who rocks the boat.

Do not make any attempt to change the way your company does anything!!!
    Make no sugestions whatsoever!
    Not til you've ran your own company and hired your own employees and signed contracts with your very own customers!
    Then and only then can you know what it's like to be in your boss's shoes. And then you are fit to make a humble sugestion.
    And expect them to ignore it. Be thankful if they dont get upset at you right on the spot.

And should you ever find an employer who will take a stand for his employees, become his best employee!
    Tell him you want to retire there!
    Ask him every day what you can do to make his life easier! And work your butt off for them.

Be safe. Work hard. Listen well. Follow instructions. Write it down. Either carry and use diligently a PDA or a notepad carried on your person at all times.
    Write model and seriel numbers down without asking if you should first.
    Think of the next guy whose gonna see this system.
    Be safe.
    Be listening to instruction.
    Carry a cell phone and dont do personal calls during the day unless it's very important to your own family.
    Ignore calls from friends and others during the day. Only answer calls from imediate family.

Be safe. Learn continuously!!!
    Be asking what you can take home to read, look at, study, take apart, play with .... etc.

Plan on doing this for the rest of your natural life.
    Take especially great care of your body!!!
    Eyes
    Hands
    Back
    Feet
    knees

Tie off ladders when you first get onto the roof.
    Raise and lower object weighing over ten pounds with a rope. And take especially great care of said rope. Get a really thick expensive rope and have it fifty feet in length. Make a know in one end and attach a metal snap hook to it. The other end hook a large carabeener to it for light obejcts.... (thirty pounds or less) Other end is for the heavier items.
    Use two guys to lift. Use two guys to do anything heavy.
    If your too macho to ask for help .... "suck it up" and do what your told to do. Be the team player and dont go off on your own like a rebel!

I'll spare you the stories, plural, of how guys have wasted thier bodies and the safety of others ... plus seriously compromised jobs all in the name of "machismo"!

Frank Sinarta sang a song entitled; "I did it my way!"
    Frank was NOT an HVAC/R man.

I posted this in another thread just days ago. Reposting it here saved me a whole buncha typing...

be yourself, don't take s--t from anyone, and ask for double what your worth.
    when life throws me a banjo, i play it

Originally posted by michigan1
    If your serious ...

Naw ... your kidding... right?

That is just the opposite of what is expected of a new guy in this industry!!!

Your kidding .... right???

Tell the boss you need a raise the first day because you know more than his top tech. ohh and ask for a new van.

and be prepared to be let go in your first 90 days.

Don't take job advice from people who are also looking for work.

Thanks for the advise.. how come i should prepare to be let go???

Originally posted by studentnmu
    Thanks for the advise.. how come i should prepare to be let go???
    Unless I am mistaken, he was sharing that with the above listed post quoted by him... he said that with that type of attitude, you would be getting canned in short order.

quote: By Stevehavc
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

and be prepared to be let go in your first 90 days.

When just starting out, dont go rocking the boat you will do just fine.
    Pay attention and you will learn and you will be safe.

Be content with you have and they may keep you on.
    Rock the boat and they will fire you.

This is a very weird industry to work in sometimes.

[Edited by R12rules on 11-14-2004 at 12:02 AM]

I AGREE

[i]Originally posted by R12rules

This is a very weird industry to work in sometimes.

[Edited by R12rules on 11-14-2004 at 12:02 AM] [/B]
    100%

Cool

welcome

Replies

The 1st reply started out fine, then it detracted.
    You will need to troubleshoot on your own: mech & electrical. You must know recovery & charging, superheat & subcooling, brazing and soldering.
    After two years in school this should all be easy. But like the thread said, some schools stink.
    Do you know how to troubleshoot a TXV?
    Keep your mouth shut until your respect has been earned. You are a new, unproven guy. Stay under the radar. Some employers are busy, offering lots of O.T. Take it when you can get it.
    Where are you located?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"--Wayne Gretzky

View this other thread. It compliments what you have already received here in advice.

Top Ten Things to Know;

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=45684

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast