Powermate stair climbing hand truck

Anyone have one?
    Which one?
    Would you buy another one?

I know there is another current thread on the subject, but I would like feedback on this brand. We have used three different ones over the years (two Electro Trucks and an Escalera) and have never been completely satisfied with any of them. The Powermate LE-1 is expensive, but looks like it will fit the bill.

what's the price ? and what will it lift ?

We've had a Powermate for over 10 years and I have no complaints. We do 100 to 150 boilers a year. We don't use it on every job, because not every job is in a basement, but I know it does get a workout.

We have it "serviced" maybe once every 3 or 4 years. I think we've replaced the straps once. Other than that, I think we broke the charger once and had to replace it.

It's a tough machine. Ours looks like hell, all beat up, dented and scratched, but it works great. Our installers really appreciate having it. I highly recommend it.

I'm not sure what model we have, but if you need to know I'll take a look tomorrow and post it.
    Your biggest risk is not taking one..."

The LE-1 is around $4800 with all the accessories. This is over double what other ones go for, but this one seems to be unique. It has two screw drives and a hand break. It can lift the wheels like most screw-drive units, but it can also lift the load. This means the while the base of the frame remains in contact with the step or ground, the load can be raised to better balance it. I am struggling with the price, but the company is letting me split up the payments and not charging extra for shipping.

We will use this mostly for residential boilers under 600#. We do occasionally move heavier ones. At 650# capacity, there will be times where this model may not work. But 95% of the time I believe it will work better than the others we have used.

Thanks bjones, I was looking for comments like yours. I never heard of Powermate before. Sounds like they are OK.

There is this site that sells all kind of hand trucks and I see they are selling electric appliance trucks for under $2500! The brand is Wesco which has a decent name in the industry

Quote Originally Posted by Haskell View Post
    There is this site that sells all kind of hand trucks and I see they are selling electric appliance trucks for under $2500! The brand is Wesco which has a decent name in the industry
    I have seen these and have experience with similar models. They would work, but the LE-1 should make the job easier and safer.

We took delivery of the Powermate last Thursday and have a couple of boiler jobs coming up that will give us the chance to find out if it was worth the extra money. I think we made the right choice.

If anyone else is looking at these, I will be glad to give an experienced opinion in a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by TimVogt View Post
    I have seen these and have experience with similar models. They would work, but the LE-1 should make the job easier and safer.

We took delivery of the Powermate last Thursday and have a couple of boiler jobs coming up that will give us the chance to find out if it was worth the extra money. I think we made the right choice.

If anyone else is looking at these, I will be glad to give an experienced opinion in a couple of months.
    I don't have experience with it but I have done extensive research and it seems like a quality piece, do you think your piece is so much better that it's worth almost double?

I don't have experience with it but I have done extensive research and it seems like a quality piece, do you think your piece is so much better that it's worth almost double?
    At nearly twice the price as a lot of these, I gagged on the price at first. But after watching the video, I decided to order it. My service manager has moved a lot of boilers with three different stair climbers and was very impressed with the way this one works. It has two motors and drive assemblies which is likeley the reason for the higher price.

The main advantages are the ability to raise the load to keep it balanced over the wheels, and the locking wheels.

A couple of thousand dollars is a lot of money unless it makes a miserable job easier and safer.

Like I said before, I will know soon enough wether or not it was worth the price.

I will post our results.

Anything new on these? I've been in contact with Powermate for many months now, but can't bite on such an expensive hunk of equipment.

I'm a 1 man operation though, and I KNOW these things would allow me to actually do more ( I have a 500 lb boiler job right now infact, and I'm not even sure how to get it off my truck!)

I have been looking at the L-1, since it is "more" economical, but the dual screw LE-1 would be nice. I have been hearing they are willing to deal now, coming to end of year...

We used a hand truck like these once. We have a rental place close by, and we have only had the need for them once. BUT IT"S A LIFESAVER.

Although we got 4 steps from the top and the F*****G thing went dead!!! The rental place only put in on the charger when we called them to pick it up. (20) mins.

Needless to say, we got to use it for free!!!!!

Powermate LE-1

I see the Powermate LE-1 Motorized Stair Climber advertisted for sale here for a little over $4200 is that a better deal than usual?
    They also have some other stair climbers ther, take a look and tell me what you think.
    Thanks!

I see the Powermate LE-1 Motorized Stair Climber advertisted for sale here for a little over $4200 is that a better deal than usual?
    They also have some other stair climbers ther, take a look and tell me what you think.
    Thanks!
    I paid around $4200 for ours direct from Powermate. With all of the accessories which they sold at 50% off, the total was $4800. They paid for the shipping and gave me 6 months to pay for it.

We have only used it a couple of times, but so far I am glad I bought it. It is smaller than others I have used, making it easier to move around by itself, and the dual lifts give the user the ability to balance loads. I have loaded and unloaded a small boiler up into my pick-up with relative ease.

It does take practice (and probably should require training) to feel comfortable using it.