Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    October 14, 2004

Police Call on Kerry to Stop Misrepresenting Their Support

Today Chuck Canterbury, the President of the nation's largest police labor organization, called on John Kerry to stop making misleading statements regarding his support from the law enforcement community. Both on the campaign trail and in Wednesday night's debate in Tempe, AZ, Senator Kerry has alluded that he has the support of the majority of these brave men and women.

"As the elected leader of the largest organization representing America's Federal, State and local law enforcement officers, I believe it's important to point out yet again that we do not support his candidacy for President," Canterbury said. "And to be perfectly frank, the groups which do support him actually share the same membership rolls and, taken together, probably comprise less than one-quarter of our nation's police officers."

Canterbury further noted that unlike the organizations which Senator Kerry touts, F.O.P. members as a whole decided that the Fraternal Order of Police would endorse the reelection of President George W. Bush. They based their decision, he said, on the record of the Bush Administration in supporting America's first responders¬-including helping to secure passage earlier this year of H.R. 218, the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, the organization's top legislative priority. Bush also successfully fought to greatly enhance the benefits for the families of officers killed in the line of duty.

"While Kerry was flying around the country campaigning and leaving the actual work of the nation to his colleagues in the Senate, the President was out there working on our behalf," Canterbury said. "Senators Kerry and Edwards have missed so many crucial votes this Congress that I was beginning to believe there were only 98 members of the U.S. Senate."

Canterbury also said it was the height of irony that Kerry would use his position on the reauthorization of the assault weapons ban as a reflection of his support from police. "First, if a police officer is killed by an AK-47, Kerry would oppose the death penalty for the killer," Canterbury said. "In addition, where was he when this issue was being discussed in the 108th Congress? Where was he when we were working to pass H.R. 218? When it came time to help push for final passage of legislation important to law enforcement, Senator Kerry was regrettably A.W.O.L."

"Given the facts, I would greatly appreciate it if Senator Kerry would refrain from making similar whimsical assertions regarding his support from the law enforcement community," Canterbury said. "The real majority of my fellow officers are standing behind President Bush, because he has been there for us."

The Fraternal Order of Police is the nation's largest law enforcement labor organization, representing more than 318,000 members.

For more information or elaboration, please do not hesitate to contact the National F.O.P. Legislative Office at 202.547.8189

We certainly do share the same opinions in this section madeinusa.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    We certainly do share the same opinions in this section madeinusa.
    Actually Robo it is pretty funny isn’t it? Here we agree 100 % in politics, but in the other sections I just don’t agree with some of goodman’s positions. It is not just with goodmana either. You just happen to keep placing your body in front of this train.

Believe it or not you would actually find me fun to be around in person, and I am sure that goes both ways.

I'm also certain we could tip a few while having a meaningful conversation but......let's be careful with the "go both ways" comments around these other guys, eh?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

We should call on you to stop misrepresenting the facts!

Police union rejects Bush, backs Kerry
    Presumptive Democratic nominee John Kerry on Friday collected the endorsement of the International Brotherhood of Police Officers, a police union that backed President Bush in the 2000 election. "After three and a half years of disappointing leadership under George Bush, we need to change course in November and elect a president with a real record of supporting police officers and a lifetime of standing with law enforcement," IBPO President David Holway said in a statement.
    In 2000 there were nearly 800,000 full-time sworn law enforcement officers in the United States so the Fraternal Order represents about a third of sworn officers.

Originally posted by johnl45

Presumptive Democratic nominee John Kerry on Friday collected the endorsement of the International Brotherhood of Police Officers, a police union that backed President Bush in the 2000 election. "After three and a half years of disappointing leadership under George Bush, we need to change course in November and elect a president with a real record of supporting police officers and a lifetime of standing with law enforcement," IBPO President David Holway said in a statement.
    In 2000 there were nearly 800,000 full-time sworn law enforcement officers in the United States so the Fraternal Order represents about a third of sworn officers.
    Are you this ignorant?

The letter I posted was from the Fraternal Order of Police with 318,000 members

Your post pertains to International Brotherhood of Police officers with ONLY by their estimates, 800,000 X 33% = 264,000 members.

These are two different organizations. My guess is both posts are correct statements, but I did not misrepresent ANYTHING. You are just a typical lib trying to put a spin on a fact and represent it as a false statement, nothing new there.

Sorry I had to make you look so ignorant.

Have a nice day

P.S. The group I quoted has a larger membership and is for BUSH. Being how you seem SHEEPISH, maybe you need to follow the larger crowd.

Facts and accuracy mean nothing to dems/libs.

BTW, if you're "sheepish", johnnie-boy, let me introduce you to Diceman.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Robo

Tip a few, for sure, and solve the problems of the world and the HVAC/R industry.

Yes, I should have phrased the other part differently with all the GOAT lovers lurking around….

Originally posted by madeinusa
    Originally posted by johnl45

Are you this ignorant?

The letter I posted was from the Fraternal Order of Police with 318,000 members

Your post pertains to International Brotherhood of Police officers with ONLY by their estimates, 800,000 X 33% = 264,000 members.

These are two different organizations. My guess is both posts are correct statements, but I did not misrepresent ANYTHING. You are just a typical lib trying to put a spin on a fact and represent it as a false statement, nothing new there.

Sorry I had to make you look so ignorant.

Have a nice day

P.S. The group I quoted has a larger membership and is for BUSH. Being how you seem SHEEPISH, maybe you need to follow the larger crowd.
    You didn't make me look like anything numnuts. I didn't say anything about the statement being true or false. The article is trying to sound like all law enforcement supports the Shrub which isn't true. They made no mention of how many sworn officers are in the U.S. I looked it up myself while you took it a face value, so who’s the ignorant one? Have a nice day yourself

Funny. The Big Union bosses are backing Kerry and that's the "official stand" for unions but most union members are W supporters.

Dems don't mind taking the opposite of what you're saying, johnnie-boy.

Dems/libs want it both ways. They can't handle truth and have a hard time handling life. So they make up lies and pretend everything is OK.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

Originally posted by bootlen
    Funny. The Big Union bosses are backing Kerry and that's the "official stand" for unions but most union members are W supporters.

Dems don't mind taking the opposite of what you're saying, johnnie-boy.

Dems/libs want it both ways. They can't handle truth and have a hard time handling life. So they make up lies and pretend everything is OK.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
    If it weren’t for the Unions you'd still be picken cotton. I doubt many union workers or least the one’s that have jobs are supporting the Shrub. He’s screwed the workingman plenty in his first term so I wouldn’t expect they to make the same mistake twice. AHHHHH six more days and the Shrub will be hiding out in Texas.

Not me, johnnie-boy. I live in a right-to-work state. No unions here. Unions were good once upon a time but now it's all about power centralization and politics. Corruption is the standard. Unions? Yu can keep 'em...far away.

Proud member of KA Club

Originally posted by bootlen
    Not me, johnnie-boy. I live in a right-to-work state. No unions here. Unions were good once upon a time but now it's all about power centralization and politics. Corruption is the standard. Unions? Yu can keep 'em...far away.
    The Union bosses are no more corrupt than the corporate bosses you have in your right to work state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast