Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Employees

Question

Any suggestions on how to thin out the sorry installers. I've checked backgrounds, called references, and even visited former employers and I still seem to find the worst of the worst for employees. Right now I have a secretary and a licensed electrician working for me. We all three do new construction installs and any other installations out there that we get. I don't see my family that much. I run ads in the local newspaper and have contacted the unemployment office. We've offered sign-on bonuses of $2,500.00 with a payscale from $12 to $16 depending on experience. My secretary can now run flex duct. Also anyone have a female salesrep and if you do how is it working out?

I don`t know where you are from but around here new construction is done at rock bottom pricing and done at one hundred miles an hour. I`m content to stay in service and go in and repair the shoddy workmanship afterwards.

The only thing that seems to work is to build your reputation within the HVAC community.
    Good employees will be coming to you for employment.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Re-think your business plan.

If you do not have a business plan ... it's way past time to write one.

First of all, asess your skills.
    Next figure out what it will take to meet your goals of being in business.
    The new const market is cutthroat in the lower end res market.
    Upper scale installs are fine, if you have upper end clientel available.

Service does pay better and the cashflow is good.

Sit down with your people and open it up for discussion. Do a Think Tank and brainstorm your way to a series of viable solutions.

Sleep on it, pray about it ... make your move.

Does your secretary answer your phone from the attics with a cordless?

Originally posted by lusker

I don't mean to be crude and don't anyone take this the wrong way.

Learn to speak Spanish.

Learn to speak spanish..what a joke! Maybe they should speak english or be unemployable.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

this guys secretary is running flex???? sounds like real SKILLED labor. now, where are those guys that say " a properly sized flex system is just as good as metal, yada yada" does that include systems installed by your secretary? i dunno...maybe these guys don't like working with the secretary. where i work we have the girls in payroll help us out with all the welded black-iron risers.....then we help them.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Originally posted by coolwhip

Learn to speak Spanish.

Learn to speak spanish..what a joke! Maybe they should speak english or be unemployable.
    You got that right.

Both of you guys totally mis-understood what I was hinting at.

You got a better way? Let's hear something that is not related to putting down an ethnic community.

It is not a language thing. It is not who speaks what. I am not going to debate what you are implying because I don't really give a flying crap.

It is the fact that he can do what everyone else does. He can add inexpensive but trainable labor to reduce his costs and get his secretary off the ladder which will increase his future business.

ghezzzzz

It is the fact that he can do what everyone else does. He can add inexpensive but trainable labor to reduce his costs and get his secretary off the ladder which will increase his future business.

ghezzzzz
    [/B]

but what if she's wearing a skirt. then she should stay on the ladder. i'll be the "ground" guy.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Both of you guys totally mis-understood what I was hinting at.

ghezzzzz
    Didn't mean to sound whinny. I'm not attacking etnics it's just that if they want to live and work here they should learn the language we should not have to change our lifestyles to suit them.

Good help is hard to find. It's even harder to keep.

Learn to speak Spanish.

Not at all.. I hired a guy on the 7-11 parking lot a couple of mts back. He speaks english..with an accent lol. needed a man for loading and clean up. First day on the job he asked my son if he could take a couple of the old relays home with him ....wanted to "tear them apart and see how they worked." My son tells me he runs the neatest oil lines and smoke pipe, he has been left alone with a list of things to do ...come back all done, and he will be sitting with a bucket of fittings sorting them out. Strong "little" guy too. I wish he had a brother. He is better than a couple of my helpers who have been around a lot longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast