line size 40,000 propane insert

i have a 40,000 btu propane insert to install for a uncle. the length of line will be between 20-30 feet.

Anyone have a chart or know what size cpr line to use?

Exclamation gas piping sizing

Yep, I've got it right here in my 2009 IRC in Chapter 24 Fuel Gas. Any pro should own a copy of the current code so he can look up sizing of gas piping, venting, clearances, etc. However, since you're asking, I take it you are not a pro and thus DIY'er and since you aren't on the Pro Section, I'm afraid we cannot calculate your piping for you here.

Hire a pro and not blow yourself up.

What can this site do other than tell every post to hire a pro. Farbeondriven has been on here for over 2 years and the site has deemed him a pro. At times I come here to read through the posts and at times it serves as refresher knowlege to items I dont run across a whole lot. The fireplace section either needs to be moved over to the pro side or we need to lighten up a little bit so the pros can share ideas and knowlege freely.

Hearthman has a point...if your going to be in this field, you need to have the proper references and not rely on what others say.
    Lets say you were to pull a permit for this gas job and the inspector said, how do you know this is the right size? You cant say...well Hearthman told me, you need to be able to pull out the applicable sizing chart and say...this is how I know.
    Then the inspector will smile and say, thats what I like to see!

The name of the game is...cover your arss.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Pro status?

Sorry, I didn't check his profile but you also should consider this forum is open to the viewing public. Such technical questions can be asked over in the Pro forum, although my point about owning the codes would still apply over there. I had to pay for mine so why shouldn't everyone else? Heck, if you join the IRC, you get one code of your choice for free. That's $100 to join and get the entire IRC. Hard to beat that deal. If you need other codes, such as the Energy Conservation, IBC for commercial work, full IMC or full IFGC, you will get a discount on them. You also get notifications of code change proposals and hearings. It also opens up their services for rendering opinions on cloudy code issues. These can be invaluable when butting heads with for instance a code inspector, engineer or home inspector.

FWIW, not enough info. was presented to determine sizing anyway.
    Peace brothers--no offense intended.

agreed. I do own the int res code book. I didn't think to look in there. I do refrigeration, heat pumps, geothermal,oil and natural gas but not much propane. I also thought this was part of the pro section.

Quote Originally Posted by JBCat View Post
    What can this site do other than tell every post to hire a pro. Farbeondriven has been on here for over 2 years and the site has deemed him a pro. At times I come here to read through the posts and at times it serves as refresher knowlege to items I dont run across a whole lot. The fireplace section either needs to be moved over to the pro side or we need to lighten up a little bit so the pros can share ideas and knowlege freely.
    Or nect time he has a technical question, he can just ask his question in the pro tech forum. :d
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?