Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A church in W.DC.

I did not know this.
    Did you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlfEdJNn15E

Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post
    I did not know this.
    Did you?

You did know it because it is not true. The US Congress did not even exist in 1782.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    You did know it because it is not true. The US Congress did not even exist in 1782.
    Actually it did, but the states had not ratified yet. It was called the Continental Congress. That became the US Congress after ratification.

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    Actually it did, but the states had not ratified yet. It was called the Continental Congress. That became the US Congress after ratification.
    The Continental Congress and the US Congress are not the same. We were operating under the Articles of Confederation at the time.

All the Continental Congress did was allow their chaplains to review Aitken's work. They denied all his other requests. The quotes Barton gives are Aitken's quotes not the Continental Congresses.

Here is the entire resolution.

"Whereupon, Resolved, That the United States in Congress assembled, highly approve the pious and laudable undertaking of Mr. Aitken, as subservient to the interest of religion as well as an instance of the progress of arts in this country, and being satisfied from the above report, of his care and accuracy in the execution of the work, they recommend this edition of the Bible to the inhabitants of the United States, and hereby authorise him to publish this recommendation in the manner he shall think proper."

Full volume available on the Library of Congress A Century of Lawmaking website:
    Journals of the Continental Congress, vol. 23

Do you guys ever get tired of being lied to by these jokers?
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

Albert Einstein

Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

The Continental Congress and the US Congress are not the same. We were operating under the Articles of Confederation at the time.

All the Continental Congress did was allow their chaplains to review Aitken's work. They denied all his other requests. The quotes Barton gives are Aitken's quotes not the Continental Congresses.

Here is the entire resolution.

"Whereupon, Resolved, That the United States in Congress assembled, highly approve the pious and laudable undertaking of Mr. Aitken, as subservient to the interest of religion as well as an instance of the progress of arts in this country, and being satisfied from the above report, of his care and accuracy in the execution of the work, they recommend this edition of the Bible to the inhabitants of the United States, and hereby authorise him to publish this recommendation in the manner he shall think proper."
    Yes, I know. But they were the congress of the time, and transitioned to the US Congress. Granted, there were changes in their scope after ratification.

I don't think the dude said which congress.

Yes, I know. But they were the congress of the time, and transitioned to the US Congress. Granted, there were changes in their scope after ratification.

I don't think the dude said which congress.
    I could have sworn he did. I also added my source for the resolution on my previous post BTW. I would watch it again but I don't think I could get through it.

Albert Einstein

Being from there, I knew most of that. Every Federal Building I've been in, which is probably all of them, there is engraved or marked the desire of the blessing/leadership of "God" for the occupants of the building.

The Capitol was used for church services but there were so many people attending the services ---- interesting enough the services were not really based around any one religion ----- that churches were built around Capitol Hill to supply places of worship so the Capitol services were discontinued.

Most of Washington DC is really swamp ground. The Capitol is built on the highest point of land and is the center for DC. It was not only built on that ground as it was the driest, but being the highest point meant if was of great importance.

Architectually speaking, DC was designed by an European designer where the tallest buildings were the most important. In Europe the churches were always the tallest buildings as they were the most important to the people. So the Capitol was designed with that concept in mind.

Later in history places like NYC built skyscrapers much taller than chruches because we started to follow money more than a God. Go to cities such as NYC and you will see the very old chruch that are tucked away next to very large skyscrapers.

And the lady on top, Miss Liberty, is pointing to east -- to Europe -- to make sure that the Europeans got the message that these states were individual and free from Europe. And free to follow their religions of choice and not dictated by a king.

Capitol Hill Southern Baptist Church is or was a few blocks away from the Capitol. It's a building and a place of history to visit. One of the most historical Churches in DC, and there are a ton, is the New York Ave. Presbyterian Church, which is still in existance.

All the churches has a great influence on and in the Capitol and the Federal Government not that too many years ago. It's only been recently that "God" and the concept of the postive aspects of "God" has been chased out of our Federal System by intellectualism.

Not too many Presidents ago seeing the President and his family leaving their chruch on a Sunday morning was a very common thing on the local news. Bill Clinton was one of the first to break that theme. And what's his face doesn't even register now.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post
    I did not know this.
    Did you?

Barton is a known forger and has had to remove numerous bogus quotes from his books.

His story about the bible and congress is a myth.
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Chapman Cohen

thanks, i was looking for internet info on Barton's Wall Builders

i believe there is still a chair in the Capitol called "The Jefferson Chair", where he attended services every week.
    ...and he was the least religious

I could have sworn he did. I also added my source for the resolution on my previous post BTW. I would watch it again but I don't think I could get through it.
    OK, he did say US Congress once, which may have been technically incorrect.

I have to say though, government's attitude toward religion has changed dramatically since then. It's obvious that our early leaders tended to be men of God who were guided by their faith.

OK, he did say US Congress once, which may have been technically incorrect.

I have to say though, government's attitude toward religion has changed dramatically since then. It's obvious that our early leaders tended to be men of God who were guided by their faith.
    Barton touts himself as an historian so it is interesting.
    Even then in their resolution they were clear they did not want to appear to be going too far with a religious edict and they coupled the "arts" in their resolution. Bottom line in America religion has been allowed to flourish and there are more church going people today than there was then. So all should be good right?

Albert Einstein

Barton touts himself as an historian so it is interesting.
    Even then in their resolution they were clear they did not want to appear to be going too far with a religious edict and they coupled the "arts" in their resolution. Bottom line in America religion has been allowed to flourish and there are more church going people today than there was then. So all should be good right?
    Yes and no.

Let me be clear that I support religious freedom, and I realize that this right must extend to all religions. And I am certainly not in favor of the US being a theocracy.

But I do think we've gone too far in trying to over-enforce the establishment aspect of the 1st amendment. There is a big difference in individuals being guided by their faith, and government being control by religion. This country has never been even close to being a theocracy, so this hysteria some have over the Ten Comandments in a government building or a footbal coach praying with his players is just crazy.

It's clear that religion was a big part of this countries early history, and if anything we're less religious today than we were back then. So why do we need to put so much effort into driving all fragments of religion out of anything owned by the taxpayers, when it's never been a problem until recent years?

It's clear that religion was a big part of this countries early history, and if anything we're less religious today than we were back then.
    I disagree I had a dozon sources showing this. I can't find them right now but here a couple showing otherwise.

The Churching Of America
    For example, on the eve of the American Revolution, probably about 17 percent of Americans were churched. "On any given Sunday morning," Finke and Stark drolly note, "there were at least as many people recovering from late Saturday nights in the taverns of these seaport towns as were in church." By 1906, slightly more than 50 percent of Americans were churched; today, about 62 percent claim active church membership. And even nonmembers show a brand loyalty. On no national sample has the percentage answering "none" when asked about religion reached 10 percent. Then why do we hear so much about secularization from both intellectuals and religious leaders? Because intellectuals begin with the wrong question and religious leaders confuse their faith with the market, say Finke and Stark.

Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast