My boss is a electrical engineer.He runs the company his
    dad started.He graduated top of his class so asked him
    why didnt he pursue being an engineer full time?He gave
    me a couple of simple answers he could be boss at the
    shop stay in his home town but most of all he said that
    he took trip to India been about 12 years ago and
    was realy shocked with the unreal amount of ready to work
    labor plus a social system that lets them work people all
    hours for no money.He says that 10 -15 years from now nearly all engineering will be overseas.What do you think?
    I got a nephew thinking engineer he is 17.Im thinking maybe not so good an idea as it used to be.

Post Likes

Maxair Career Decision

Max,
    I think it depends on the discipline and the area of the country for your nephew. Engineers used to design with slide rules, then calculators. Now "canned" programs do all the design work. ALL manufacturers are going overseas for design (India) and cheap labor (S.E. Asia). Even military components are being made in Mexico, China (yes, Communist China), and elsewhere. Software is dead. Manufacturing is going elsewhere. Civil Engineering is slow.
    By the way, I heard the same great advice about teaching (Math & science) as I did about engineering. I have BOTH credentials. Today's REAL technical need is in medical (nursing, etc.). I see that first-hand.
    If you guys have read this far, New England is a little slow right now for HVAC engineers.
    Where is your nephew, Max?
    hockey
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"--Wayne Gretzky

Post Likes
    I can see your sore spot hockey, but the bad taste in your mouth against engineering is not really hvac or construction based and you are only talking from an EIT point of view and not as a disgruntled PE.

So as long as there is construction there is a need.

If it is slow for HVAC engineers in NE right now then construction must be slowing down.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes

Engineering

You are correct, Carnak. In fact, there's alot of vacant commercial property right now (in Boston). As far as jobs go, my philosophy has always been, "Apply where they are hiring." I will always have my BSME, my technician credentials and my teaching certification. That should be enough, huh? How about someone who is 17? What would be prudent advice for him? I certainly wouldn't recommend NASA, computer science, or retail. But I would recommend learning a trade while pursuing something else. It still depends on your location. Manufacturing is better in the south than the north. Here, medical and banking seem to be "in".
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"--Wayne Gretzky

Post Likes
    With your BSME and your tech experience you already know that you are a natural to work for an HVAC OEM.

"Apply where they are hiring" will keep you fed and if you like the work all the better.

I think you are successful if you can earn a living doing something you like doing.

A 17 year old kid, hmmmm would do him a world of good to go out in the world and work for a living to see what it is like. Nothing wrong whatsoever with trades, I started in sheet metal.

I think a young kid out in the work force for a while would make a better college student than one straight from high school.

There is a thriving financial industry here, and what seems to be in demand is IT Guys.

But as long as there is construction there will be a demand for engineers.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    Another field that is currently "hot" right now is energy and commissioning. A BSME with some trade experience could find this very rewarding - and although this field has been cyclical in the past, owners and facility managers are beginning to come around. With energy costs going no where but up - people are starting to realize that reducing costs associated with energy consumption is one of the most effective ways of saving $ and improving processes, comfort, etc. Best thing is that ALL industrys and property owners have the need for these services. Have your nephew check it out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in