Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Engineers

Post Likes
    Thought I would add my 2 cents. I'm an ME by education - got involved with HVAC controls right out of school (10 yrs now). My experience is (as far as controls go) - better to be an ME than EE. Better still - someone with trade experience in HVAC, too. Perfect world = HVAC tech w/ engineering degree. Easier to train HVAC guy (understands equipment) than electrician (knows code and how to wire). Almost any engineering degree will give you the basics (heat transfer, control theory, electrical, etc).

BTW - Many controls companies (Siemens, JCI, etc) want BSME grads for technician jobs (startup, commissioning, etc) - installation work subbed to electrical contractor. My advice to thread starter - if you like knowing how/why things work - ME is a good choice. Get your degree and get a job with a controls contractor - you will learn HVAC systems, soup-to-nuts, and job security is high for good controls guys. Trades can be tempting, especially union work, but you may not want to be in the field anymore when you are 50+. Your degree allows for upward mobility once you pay your dues. JMHO.

Post Likes
    Even if you get a ME degree and have to take a job as a tech for awhile, you will have a bright fucture, just keep your eyes open for oppourtunity, it is out there.

Post Likes
    I have my ME. It seems like everything we studied in school, there is a canned program to do that job. There still has to be somebody to double check the computer output.

I started in the mechanical trades and could not wait to get out of school to put all that dirty work behind me. I found out that I did not like being a desk jockey either. AutoCAD was ruining my eyes. I got back into HVAC because I was doing closer to what I thought engineers do.

One thing about it. Nobody can ever take your education away from you. If you like fixing things or even breaking things, take an engineering class. You might just be about to find a more fun way to break stuff.

As far as jobs go, I am one of the most employable persons on this board. If one part of the industry heads south, I will be OK. If I mangle my body so I can't get on a roof anymore, I will be OK. I can just step right into a different job. I am looking at several different sides of this field to get into next.
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

Post Likes

Over-Employable

Kim,
    Good luck with your job search. I am a BSME, a HVAC Service Tech with Universal and Oil Heat License, AutoCAD ability, manufacturing background, proficient with several computer languages, etc... Its not that easy to get a job.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"--Wayne Gretzky

Post Likes

Re: Mechanical Engineer

Originally posted by hockey
    I am a former cubicle-dwelling engineer who got frustrated because I prefer hands-on field work. The current facts are that there is a GREATER need for talented technicians than there are for engineers. Don't believe your college counselors and their statistics. Engineers are considererd "Overhead" (like a tool) by accountants and there is alot of incentive to outsource these jobs (India, Asia, others). A technician who can troubleshoot is more valuable (and has better job security) than ANY engineer.
    My experience allows me to offer this advice: If you've completed some college classes, go to a tech school (you can get the basics in HVAC in a 6 month program; no need to go more than that), and become a tech. Continue your education by signing up for one-two day seminars.
    To this, I cry BULLSHIT!

Having been a service technician for 15 years, and now being an engnieer with almost 4 years experience, and desperately needing to hire 40 degreed engineers right now, I can tell you there is a MUCH greater need for degreed engineers than for competent service techs, and you make TONS more money being an engineer.
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by BamaCracker

To this, I cry BULLSHIT!

Having been a service technician for 15 years, and now being an engnieer with almost 4 years experience, and desperately needing to hire 40 degreed engineers right now, I can tell you there is a MUCH greater need for degreed engineers than for competent service techs, and you make TONS more money being an engineer.
    Hey, Mr. Cracker! Good to hear your voice!

don
    don sleeth - HVAC-Talk Founder
    HVAC Computer Systems
    Heat Load Calculation Software

Post Likes
    Well this is a good day indeed..A blast from the past.
    Welcome back Bama.

Post Likes
    Welcome back Bama....

Since when did Purina require its dog food testers to have a degree...

Good to see you back..
    I remember many of your posts from way back when... You have been gone way to long.. We need your help to clean up these newbies attitudes..

Great to see you post
    J

Post Likes
    Bama - I know FLA is booming but how is it that you could have a need for 40 engineers all of a sudden? Is this a MEP engineering firm or strictly HVAC design? I have plenty of friends up here in Boston who would love a job (any job) in the HVAC engineering field?

BTW - I can't dispute the $ disparity between engineer and tech, although a tech with years seniority can make more than your average engineer - it all depends where you are located and supply/demand. Hours are better for engineers - fact!

Post Likes
    Does it snow there Cracker?
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes

Re: HVAC Work

Originally posted by hockey
    Yes, That's correct. Like I said, manufacturing. A degree opens the door to many fields. I don't see alot of HVAC engineering jobs on Monster.com or elsewhere. In fact, I am rubbing elbows with unemployed/laid off HVAC engineers.
    Then let us hire them. There are headhunter companies that center around finding and placing MEP engineers. If they were unemployable/laid off, then they must have sucked at engineering. There have been a few that I know that should be kicked out of the profession for sloppy work, little follow up and/or no communication.

Stick with the ME degree. If you do EE you will get better pay but you won't be in the HVAC industry. Those higher paying EE jobs are with companies doing circuit boards and manufacturing, not MEP engineering.

As a Penn State AE with a degree specialized for the industry, I would have to say get your degree, your EIT, then do your 4 years and take the PE exam. That will be the last test you will ever have to take in your life, and it will make you permanently employable.

Avoid the talk about no jobs on 'Monster' or 'Hotjobs' or whatever. MEP design is a niche industry. You are not bound to find the job you want by sifting through the want ads or browsing the internet. What you will start to learn is who the major players are in the USA and beyond, and know the major architecture firms as well. If you stay in one area you will likely hear about and see the same people year to year. When you know this you will learn which companies you want to submit your resume to and which you want to pass on. If you don't know anything about them, an interview will likely tell you want you want to know.

As a side note, I have learned a lot from this site. I deal primarily with the commercial & government design industry, and reading feedback on everything from commissioning to controls has been helpful. Also it helps with the occasional question from an architect on residential, and the people here are a resource to be respected.

Post Likes

Employability

Talk is cheap. Contact us and "we'll" send you a resume.
    hockey

Post Likes
    Amen to 'Bama's comments.

If your are both a competent technician and a degreed engineer and get in over 30 years experience, $100K a year is on the low end.

There are a lot of 30 year experienced engineers I know that would have no idea how often to change the oil on a vacuum pump -- thus, make only $60k a year - they get to write specifications and push only paper. The 55 YO+ engineers I am acquainted with that know how to hook everything up plus the theory are the $150K/year plus guys that got to design the space station.

Post Likes
    Hockey

Was your out-sourced engineering job HVAC related?
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    Jobs that I know are begging to be filled in HVAC engineering:

Tampa Florida, design engineering for HVAC company (2 or more)
    Aaon, four to six HVAC design engineers
    Trane, 17 positions in design engineering across the U.S.

I hope it is OK to post this link, but go to http://www.hvacsearch.com and send them your resume. My friend Gary, who has helped me get every engineering job I ever had, has called me more than once recently telling me he is "dying" for HVAC engineers.

Even more than my last job, I am NOT allowed to admit where I work, so I can't tell you how or why we need 40 degreed engineers, but you can e-mail me and I can tell you, or you can contact Gary at the link above and he can tell you.

$70-120K annually is NOT out of the question. Many companies pay premium wages to an engineer with field experience.

A someone implied, BS walks. Send your resume and Gary will tell you why you got canned, or he'll find you a job.

Carnak, No, it has not snowed here in about 20 years, and then it was less than a measurable amount! Not like the Purina job, where 6 inches at a time was the norm, not the exception, and NEGATIVE digits actually got used on the thermometer!
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Don Sleeth
    Hey, Mr. Cracker! Good to hear your voice!

don
    It's great to be here. The place has changed a lot, gotten bigger, and changed formats, but still the same cocky upstarts needing to be upbraided here and there, huh?

How's things in the Great White North?
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Post Likes

So Bama, I believe I am now working for a company you once worked for. I think you even called me on the phone once. All is going very well for me and I hope the same is true for you.

Yes, there is a demand for good mechanical engineers who also know HVAC. Former technicians with experience actually troubleshooting and repairing equipment who then go on to obtain an ME degree have the most value.

Norm

Post Likes
    Yeah Norm, I saw your boss at ASHRAE, and asked about you. He said you were not there, although every other swinging _ick from your company was there. I told him to tell you I said "Hey!"

I loved working there, I just hated living there. Some of those former co-workers are still my best friends. In fact, if you would go around to the engineering area and find the bald headed guy named "Don" and give him a big hug from me, I'd appreciate it more than you know.

If you like What-A-Burger, they still go on Fridays, from what I hear. Wish I could be there with them.
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by BamaCracker
    Yeah Norm, I saw your boss at ASHRAE, and asked about you. He said you were not there, although every other swinging _ick from your company was there. I told him to tell you I said "Hey!"

I loved working there, I just hated living there. Some of those former co-workers are still my best friends. In fact, if you would go around to the engineering area and find the bald headed guy named "Don" and give him a big hug from me, I'd appreciate it more than you know.

If you like What-A-Burger, they still go on Fridays, from what I hear. Wish I could be there with them.

As much as I respect Don and the others I am not about to give hugs to any of them. Jack is a great guy to work for by the way. We have a great team here! Lots of cooperation.

Not aware of What A Burger. Where is that? I'll give it a try.

Post Likes

Bama

Thanks for the info. I got downsized from defense work, medical devices, and semiconductors (all manufacturing, all outsourced). I left 2 jobs due to integrity issues.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in