Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    [i]Originally posted by bobby7388 But a stationary engineer will always be licensed in some form from a AHJ, if someone doesn't have the license then they should'nt use the name or title
    [/B]

I agree. It costs me 20 bucks a year to renew my “grade A“ license and I don’t even need it.
    Right now I operate low pressure boilers but it might become handy in the future.
    In Philadelphia every one working with high pressure boilers has to have it.
    To get a job with the City as a stationary engineer, one has to have “Grade A stationary engineer’s
    license” plus take a civil service test where there are many questions pertaining to air-conditioning and refrigeration.

Plant Ops. / Stat. Engs.
    Know their sh*t and call in the chumps to do the work.

Chumps??????
    Ya mean the guys who charge as much in a few hours as the janitor engineer makes in a week.....those chumps....
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

This salary discussion is comical... but true. I have worked in both fields and agree with all I have read in this thread. The larger the facility, the better "operators/engineers" typically. The larger the city the bigger the buildings. In the 1-million sq ft + buildings 100K+ for a chief engineer is not out of the question with no degree, no license, no union dues. But generally that is the top 5-10% of the trade.

The work load.... well it also follows the posts in this thread. From a roldex operator/engineer to the type described by Ozone Drone and a few others.

Now I work in the service industry and it's not much diffferent. I see some quality techs who are well trained and do a good job, but I see a lot who would not make an operator/engineer on my best crews. The difference seems to be titles. What this thread has shown me is the parity between the two trades. I have seen both sides speak up for themselves but neither one reflect on the weak sisters in their own trade. This is just like politics.

The difference is good service techs can go into any bldg and work on it based on past years of experience.
    Typically PO's, even very good ones, are usually lost once they leave their own bldg.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

That's a B.S. statement Dice.....
    Oh ...my pumps are painted green..I wonder how these red ones work?.....granted if some kid started his career and stayed in one building for 10 years..he'd not have much exposure to other brands of equipment ...but somebody who's been in a truck for 10-15-20 years (or 29 like me) and THEN took an operator's job I don't think would have a problem in some other building. There's just too many variables to make generalized statements about qualifications and competantcy.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Generally speaking reputations are earned.
    I am sure there are many exceptions, like OD.
    But still there is no denying when you work in the field you see a lot more than just being in a few buildings.
    No cut on good PO or SE intended, just life as I have seen it after almost 30 years doing this stupid junk and having grown up in a fam biz going back a few generations, thats all.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

And like I said, I ain't taking anything away from the good PO or SE, they can put me to shame in many situations.
    It's just a matter of experience and having seen many different things, that's all.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    The difference is good service techs can go into any bldg and work on it based on past years of experience.
    Typically PO's, even very good ones, are usually lost once they leave their own bldg.
    Dice,
    Good ones are not lost once they leave their building, bad or inexperienced ones are.
    Our apprentice after 4 years just transfered to a different property and is working out very good, they have a real chief so no contractors doing their work.
    And I have told him that he needs to work for a different company before five years are up. I have know guys that have worked for only one company from apprenticeship to chief engineer. When they get a job with a new company they become lost.
    Len
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Originally posted by bobby7388
    [.
    But a stationary engineer will always be licensed in some form from a AHJ, if someone doesn't have the license then they should'nt use the name or title
    [/B]
    Bobby,
    Not all S/E hava a licience. California does not require one, I wish they did but they don't.
    At one time I had a Coast Guard's Thirds Licience and that test would make any cities test a walk in the park. So with out a city licience I use the tital Stationary Engineer.
    Len

PS I agree there are a lot of people using the title that do not have a clue. I work for one.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Originally posted by Diceman
    Come on Dice.... I have read enough intelligent things you have written for me to think you actually believe this.

Originally posted by snipe70e
    [ So with out a city licience I use the tital Stationary Engineer.
    Len
    [/B]

Former boiler operators from the Navy should not have to need a license.

Originally posted by sigma
    Originally posted by snipe70e
    [ So with out a city licience I use the tital Stationary Engineer.
    Len

Former boiler operators from the Navy should not have to need a license. [/B]

Amen

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast