Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Originally posted by coolh2o
    Drone....

I would like to know more about your operation. I spent 15 years in the Dallas market as a plant operator/chief engineer. Drop me an email if you don't mind.
    Okay, I've asked Boss/Build Central for your e-mail address.
    I'm at the Amon Carter Museum in Ft. Worth. 817-989-5129 is my direct line.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Originally posted by bwal2
    Originally posted by Diceman
    ...Like a guy who has a PHD in say English, and wants to be called Doctor.
    Gotta love the English language.
    We got 40 words that mean the same thing, and one word that we use for 40 different things.

No wonder immigrants have a hard time learning English.
    Did you know lawyers are technically doctors of law?
    Scarey isn't it?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

....someone should start suing them for mal-practice...

[/B][/QUOTE]
    Did you know lawyers are technically doctors of law?
    Scarey isn't it? [/B][/QUOTE]

Two in law school at the same time!

Yes, I'd say I knew that.

An engineer with a plunger, yeah, that's what I mean, some carry mops and are knowledgeble in incadescant lighting maintenance as well. As if.
    You hear engineer and ya think of someone that actually has a degree in engineering, knows physics or quantum mechanics, can design buildings or build bridges.
    Like a guy who has a PHD in say English, and wants to be called Doctor.
    Hey I am a CEO, CFO, and all kinds of FO's too.
    Don't take it personal........well........only if it applies I mean.
    Dice,
    Most of your degreed engineers are not really engineers, but drafts men. They can draw ok but they can't opperate.
    If you can design a piece of machinery but not operate it in my opion yous not an engineer. some of the origional engineers could do it all. My example is Robert Fulton, he designed the ships, he built them, ;and he could stand watch in the engineroom and safely operate it. I seen most college graduates with ME degrees that if they had signed on a ship I was on I would have jumped ship. How many ex=Navy types here have had officers that scared them.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Originally posted by bobby7388

Originally, a locomotive boiler was operated by an Engineer, then when licensure was deemed necessary for non-locomotive boilers due to the the large increase in boiler explosions we became known as stationary engineers.

Locomotive engine boilers are not to be confused with locomotive type stationary boilers, or known in some areas as porkchop style boilers.

Hey snipe, notice I said we?, this doesn't include you dice, so there!!!!

[/B]
    Bobby,
    Do not forget about the Marine Engineer.
    I know the locomotive boilers as a Horizonal Return Tube boiler.
    Stationary Engineer are in plants that do not move, some (like my wife) say stationary engineer's don't move.

Re: engineer?

Originally posted by bwal2
    A few years ago, my wife noticed the toilet didn't flush properly in a "nice" hotel we had just checked into.
    I called the desk clerk.
    She told me she would send up an engineer right away...
    I was pretty sure all I needed was a maintenance guy with a plunger, but I didn't argue.

Sure enough, she sent a guy with a plunger, but his nametag said "engineer".

I wonder if he laughed when they gave him that title to go with his plunger?
    A few years ago I worked in a hotel and I had to clear many a toilet. That is the thing that I like about this profession we can end up working on everything. From the simple toilet to complete teardowns on large equipment. If we do our jobs right we can save the company more than we cost, my goal if they will let me is two to three times the cost of my wages and bennies. My best year I estamated I saved Macy's over two million dollars in six months.
    Len

I am glad to see so many "Operators" and "Engineers" on this site. I was beginning to believe it was all service techs.

stir up a stink

Did I forget to mention that I was glad to see they didn't send a card-carrying registered professional engineer?
    He'd still be in there calculating gallons per flush.

I too, have enjoyed quite a wide range of experiences.
    I just never got excited about a title. Still don't.
    I can still see the title "president" on the door of the two-man shop I spent my first summer in.

Assistant manager just means you always work weekends & nights without ever being paid overtime.

The plant operator has usually earned that position . He's put in the time over the years doing all the maint in the place, he knows where every valve is and what it does. Disconnects ,Breakers,miles of piping, everything in his head . The ultimate total recall. While everyone else is digging for prints and diagrams he or she is fixin the problem. Every sound or thud says something to the operator,while most anyone else would never notices. While some would says the operator sits on his a$$ all day, I say you may not know what your talking about. Some operators are task according to the critical services of their machines. Their job is to run the machines, nothing else! Stopping and starting as needed, adjusting power factors, adjusting refer charges, shifting loads ,taking reading, etc. Someplaces that is exactly all you better be doing as the operator. If you are off doing some kind of envolved maint and all hell breaks lose in the plant,who is the first person they come to for an explanation? I worked a gov. base in Florida where maint guys did their thing and the operator was dedicated to just one task. Eventually as all places do, it went to hell one day. As they were investigating the events of that day it was the operator that sat in the little room with the FBI answering all the questions not the maint guys. Personnally I think my cheek marks are still in that chair where I was puckered up real tight. If you ask me if I thought I was special for what I did now and then . Why heck ya !! real special in fact. Just like all of us are. We sorta keep a nation eating good foods,alive in cool/warm homes, researchers doing their thing,Kids learning, preserving old thing for the future,etc. damn right ,,,special and it feels good.

Originally posted by snipe70e

Originally, a locomotive boiler was operated by an Engineer, then when licensure was deemed necessary for non-locomotive boilers due to the the large increase in boiler explosions we became known as stationary engineers.

Locomotive engine boilers are not to be confused with locomotive type stationary boilers, or known in some areas as porkchop style boilers.

Hey snipe, notice I said we?, this doesn't include you dice, so there!!!!

Bobby,
    Do not forget about the Marine Engineer.
    I know the locomotive boilers as a Horizonal Return Tube boiler.
    Stationary Engineer are in plants that do not move, some (like my wife) say stationary engineer's don't move.
    [/B]

You know? that never crossed my mind when replying at first.
    The story of how the name came to be was from a old teacher of mine, but marine operators are just as important to the history of boilers.

The HRT's were also used on marine vessels, they are the predecessor to the Scotch Marine, vertical fire tubes were also very commom if space was limited.
    A HRT was hung over an external firebox.

A locomotive stationary boiler doesn't have much in commom with locomotive train boiler, just that the center has doors which mimics a trains boiler, the ones that I've seen were sectional.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bobby7388
    [B][QUOTE]Originally posted by snipe70e

The HRT's were also used on marine vessels, they are the predecessor to the Scotch Marine, vertical fire tubes were also very commom if space was limited.
    A HRT was hung over an external firebox.

A locomotive stationary boiler doesn't have much in commom with locomotive train boiler, just that the center has doors which mimics a trains boiler, the ones that I've seen were sectional.
    Bobby,
    The funny thing about the HRT's When I was going to the Maritime Academy I had to study and know everything about them, because who knows you might be asked about them on your third's exam. But I was told I would probably never see one. Ya right. My first stationary job was in a hospital with three of them, and I have worked with in more than one plant with them.
    Len

Originally posted by harv
    The plant operator has usually earned that position . He's put in the time over the years doing all the maint in the place, he knows where every valve is and what it does. Disconnects ,Breakers,miles of piping, everything in his head .

Why heck ya !! real special in fact. Just like all of us are. We sorta keep a nation eating good foods,alive in cool/warm homes, researchers doing their thing,Kids learning, preserving old thing for the future,etc. damn right ,,,special and it feels good.
    Thanks harv, good post, and for the most part, true.

I am referring to the schmuck who thinks because his job title has engineer or some other big sounding term in it, he really is smart and important.
    Hope you guys don't consider me in that brush stroke. Sometimes I think so, cause the knowlege on this board dwarfs my own, but I know guys too, like harv refered to, that also know much less than they think they do, and I have to explain basic theory to them to get them to follow my thoughts. I think it depends on weather or not they love this trade. I hold nothing against those who don't know, only those who won't know.

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    So they always end up getting the kinds of guys who think they know, and tell you they know, but they still don't know.
    Yeah, I know. They got me when I didn't know what they needed, and still knew more than what they had. I'm amazed at what I know now considering the "mentors" I've had, but you guys have been the best mentors yet. Thank you. I've been thinking lately that I would like to get back into service work, and have had Svc. Mgrs. tell me they liked my resume, but they didn't want to pay what they guessed I was worth. Don't know if they were shining me or what. When I'm told to let my low psi boilers go witout chemical treatment, because there is a 100 gal/day condensate leak they wont fix, and the guy harv described recommends to, I get steamed.
    Just frustrated I guess, but for now, I'll keep learning from you guys.
    TB
    Everyone knows something I don't.

2 Chronicles 7:14
    14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast