Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Compensation is what it boils down to. If your making in wage and benefits that is acceptable to you, all the other reach around stuff that most employees ***** about is ridiculous.

Personally. I got paid well. Very well. Had a great benefits package. Had a great retirement thing being socked away. And the pay and benny's let me put up with a whole lot of stuff, including them feelings of resentment about making that dude rich.

He might make a good chunk of change, but I am here to tell all you employees, that for your boss to make a buck, he's got to do a whole lot more than just drive around and fix things. You as the technician are a part of the formula, but you aint no secret ingrediant. And the biggest and most difficult thing he has to do, is put his ass on the line and leave it up to you to do right.

If you think it's all rosy and or you feel your being dealt with unfairly. My advice is to find a better paing job more suitable to put up with it or start your own thing.

I was such an ass when I was a tech only. I was one of those prima donna selfish arrogant sob's. The most sobering and profound thing that could have happened to me did. I got a taste of the big boy sandwich when I went out on my own. Best thing for me in my life was to understand the other side of it. Let me tell you, it was a huge ass kicker at first and it really opened my eyes. And it gave me such a new found respect for those companies that have built something good over a few years.

And it also more than enough qualifies me to talk to employees that think their owed everything. I was one of em. You aint owed ****. Go to work. Do what your paid to do. And then get paid. Done. Go home and be happy.

Question

So if a Tech bills out 250,000.00 per year and the company operates at a 10% profit margin, thats 25,000.00 per year profit on that Tech. The Tech makes probably about 50,000.00 and is provided everything he needs to do his job without any financial or legal risk.How is it any one Tech can make anybody as rich as they think? Without the owners doing their jobs Techs would'nt be making their 50. So its a team effort, be a team player. We all need each other. Just my opinion Thanks for listening.

Hmm

Not disputing your figure but few companies make in the range of 10% net profit. Generally they make from 3%-8% per year. An exremely good company that is really greared up and checking hours and material can get in the range of 7%-10%, however they are few and far between.
    I worked for one of the largest Service Companies in CA and they made between 3%-4.5%. It made them extremely happy to break the 4% percent level each year. They weren't hiding much profits, in fact in order to keep the insurance and bonding levels up they had to have a good year.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]merken1[/FONT]

Well that goes along w/ my point except in your example the company profits allot less per Tech. So any 1 Tech. that thinks he is making anyone abundantly wealthy is misinformed.

[Edited by oneacman on 12-28-2004 at 02:53 PM]

I've been on both sides of the fence .There are plenty of tech's that want more than they are worth. At the same time there are just as many greedy power hungary owners out there. When I worked for someone else I was paid well but that was about it no bene's . As far as making someone rich well the majority of the time I brought in double the labor rate on a daily basis. For that yea I think I deserved something extra.But no worries now got my own gig & always give my help something extra for a job well done. My ex employer had that "you tech's are nothing special" attitude aswell worst than that he was stupid enough to let it come out of his mouth at a meeting. Well what do ya know after half the tech's quit now he has a company with lots of business but very little qualified help to do the work .My guess is the customers will be the next to go.
    I can do all things...

There is no attitude coming from me I can promise you that. I too beleive in reward for loyalty, contribution, participant. But it is earned in time. It is no attitude I have or a chip on my shoulder. Not even close. I beleive in my heart what I have said.

No attitude here eathier dow. Like I said in my 1st post I agree with you to a certain extent and not saying your opinions wrong on any of this topic. Probably just different perceptions from different experiences . There's always two sides to a coin. We can even agree to disagree & its nothing personal. I respect someone who speaks his mind weather I agree or not. No hard feeling here , my apologies if any remarks offended.
    I can do all things...

We cool brother.

I hear what you guys are saying. I mean no offense either. Appreciate your feedback.Your right it is a different perspective from an owners view.But I'm a servicetech owner w/ 4 Techs.My first Tech left but he came back 6 months later and I was very glad. I know better than anyone it takes a team effort.I tried it alone 10 years ago.Talking about tough forget it.I'm all about taking care of business and getting men paid by providing our service. Just want everybody to believe it takes everybody. Sometimes owners feel unappreciated too.Sorry didn't mean to cry.

In my opinion

It is unreasonable for techs to expect a "piece of the pie" for simply doing what you were hired to do.
    I would be happy to share the profits of my business with any one of my employees that share the burdens of owning the business.
    So far none of my employees have worked for 2 months when times are hard with no pay to insure other employees were paid, none have taken a second mortgage on there home to buy equipment for the shop, hell none have even bothered to show up for work at the same time I do and stay until I leave.
    All of the risk is taken by the owner of the business, if the business fails the tech simply moves on to the next company, the owner would in many cases lose his home, automobiles, credit rating and probably his sanity as well.
    Be thankful you have a job that allows you to make the money you are making, I will be thankful I have experienced techs to get the work done and the money coming in so I can afford the overwhelming monthly expenses generated by an HVAC business.
    A woman has the last word in any argument
    Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

I thought that was well said.

I think it is a compromise between technician/employee and employer.

I have seen several studies with in our industry about the wedge that is between owners and their workers. And everytime a survey is done, overwhelmingly the responses come out that the majority of techs feel unappreciated. Money is always 3rd or 4rth of the biggest gripes that an average tech has. Training, and appreciation and evaluation always come in ranking higher than money. Yet no one on either side makes any effort torwards those ends and we always go back to money. Either the owner makes too much or the tech makes too little.

When ever we as an inudstry begin to start acting more proffesionally, the wealth will be there for all.

Question

So let me ask this,what would todays modern Service Tech. consider a great pay and benefits package?He must take his on level of earning power into consideration.Say if he bills out 200,000.00 per year with the company goal of say 5% profit margin.And what would he consider a show of appreciation besides more money?

depends on what part of the country you're in as for the great pay part of the question. In this area I would say 20-28 per hour. As for bene's health ins. at a reasonable rate if not paid in full, 401k/ retirement, performance/and-or sales bonus or commision, , flexable on time off would be a plus, continuing education, . All those things besides the time off cost money which you could break down to hourly compensation as well. As for whatelse besides money a simple thankyou for a job well done can go a long way.And last but not least when your tech's off its his business what he does with that time.Not talking about call'ins. Last guy I worked for expected to be notified if you were doing charity work on the week'end for habit for humanity. I'm on the owners side of the fence now & there are two sides.I just try to keep it good for all parties involved. A service america rep. came in one day & told us in order for you to have a sucessful business you must have : WIN,WIN,WIN in this order for it wont work in any other order : 1ST the customer must win by recieving value for their $, 2nd the employee must win in recieving fair cvompensation for their labor, & last the company must win in turning a profit & growth. That has stuck with me thru the years. Not try'n to step on toes with any of this just how I see it.
    I can do all things...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast