Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEW york state reaches a NEW low

It seems there is a little known TAX LAW that says if Brueggers (or any bagel shop) slices a bagel for a customer they must charge sales tax.

NYS is now going after Brueggers Bagels for back taxes.......3 years worth?

Now!! how NYS is going to figure out how many bagels Brueggers actually sliced is an interesting dynamic. These guys sell millions of bagels a year. I figure the state and Brueggers will come to "a number" and then figure out how to pay for it.

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Extortion!
    Saddle Up!

Of course I had to look this one up!
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/busin...101374809.html

What a crock of political b.s. this one is..
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

well if they go after Brueggers they have to go after all the bagel shops, and we have a lot of them.

So all the bagel shops are shacking in there boots, although I suspect a great many small shops could careless if the state comes after them, they will just close the doors and start over.

Which will put a lot of folks out of business, How stupid is the state going to look after that
    LOVE has four letters

In our town there is a "dine in" tax at restaurants and a "drive thru" tax.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    In our town there is a "dine in" tax at restaurants and a "drive thru" tax.
    a classic sign the states are desperate for any cash they can get there grubby little hands on
    LOVE has four letters

Our state taxes food regardless of the preparation or consumption method--albeit at a lower sales tax rate than other goods.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Lets see the libs defend this one
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

The State of NY Dept of taxation and Finance (the laughable part) has come right and declared they are deliberately "stepping up audits" because the state is broke.....period.

The state is looking at every possible means of revenue to support the abysmal budget spending.

I suppose they could start by cutting half the freaking enormous government payroll.

at the rate the government is going we are all going to be working for the Government
    LOVE has four letters

I think it's pretty common to not charge sales tax on food (necessity) but to charge it on food prepared food in a restaurant (luxury).

I'm not really sure where the line is.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

they will just close the doors and start over
    just change their name

Quote Originally Posted by maintenanceguy View Post
    I think it's pretty common to not charge sales tax on food (necessity) but to charge it on food prepared food in a restaurant (luxury).

I'm not really sure where the line is.
    In the red state of Arkansas we are charged, in my county and city, 11.6% tax at restaurants and motels/hotels. Sales tax is charged at grocery stores. A little over 6%. That is down from the original 9% we were charged a few years ago because a Democratic governor signed a bill into law that cut grocery store sales tax. Medicine is still tax free but there is talk of taxing it too.

Soft drinks, the states biggest selling baby food, has it's own special tax bought to you by non other than former governor and Fox News show host Mike Hukabee. I think the tax has been repealed. I am not sure. The tax was at the manufacturing level and does not show up on a receipt. Plus, I no longer drink RC cola and eat pork rinds chased by Moon pies, so I would not see the tax anyway.

This has nothing to do with taxes, but food stamp/WIC recipients can no longer use food stamps in this state to buy junk food/ tobacco. You will no longer see a big fat woman dragging on a fag, with a baby drinking Coke out of a baby bottle, buying pork rinds and three packs of Lucky's at the checkout counter paying for the items with food stamps. Gosh, I miss the good old days.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Quote Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
    In the red state of Arkansas we are charged, in my county and city, 11.6% tax at restaurants and motels/hotels. Sales tax is charged at grocery stores. A little over 6%. That is down from the original 9% we were charged a few years ago because a Democratic governor signed a bill into law that cut grocery store sales tax. Medicine is still tax free but there is talk of taxing it too.

Soft drinks, the states biggest selling baby food, has it's own special tax bought to you by non other than former governor and Fox News show host Mike Hukabee. I think the tax has been repealed. I am not sure. The tax was at the manufacturing level and does not show up on a receipt. Plus, I no longer drink RC cola and eat pork rinds chased by Moon pies, so I would not see the tax anyway.

This has nothing to do with taxes, but food stamp/WIC recipients can no longer use food stamps in this state to buy junk food/ tobacco. You will no longer see a big fat woman dragging on a fag, with a baby drinking Coke out of a baby bottle, buying pork rinds and three packs of Lucky's at the checkout counter paying for the items with food stamps. Gosh, I miss the good old days.
    uuum ya, there ya go. It must be a republican thing 'eh.

To bad NYS has been a dumacratically controlled state for 15 to 20 years. We have had republican Governors, but the Legislature is all dummycratic and controlled by a NYC bone head named Silverman<sp>

any and all incumbent politicians MUST GO. All these A-Hole "lifers" whether Repub or Dummy, must be replaced with new blood.
    LOVE has four letters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast