Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HVAC Test

Hi, I am a new member. Are there any answers (correct) to the HVAC test questions?? Are they from the NATE certification test? Any thoughts on the NATE certification? I thought these questions were pretty good, maybe the more ambigious ones were to make you think a bit, like this one:

4. A typical induced draft furnace uses a blower-off delay in the cooling mode to:

a. Increase the efficiency of the system (wrong, but let me adjust my "Cold" anticipator just in case)
    b. Air wash the coil on shutdown (what's an air wash??)
    c. Minimize dehumidification at the coil (wrong..maybe, what's he trying to say?)
    d. Prevent blowing moisture off the coil on shut off (does this happen?)

Well I thought they did it to get the moisture out. I was pretty smart 'til I got to that one, now I'm afraid to go on, I could get obsessive about finding the RIGHT answer and lose sleep, sanity is gone already. Anyway I would like to hear your opinions on the NATE Cert. Thanks...

The answer on that one is A.

Hey BaldLoonie, I won't argue that some engineer could think there was economy in doing that, but any heat that is absorbed at the evaporator will release again as the pressure equalizes after the compressor shuts down, so I don't see where the economy comes in. I know that "A" was the consensus on that question, but is that really THE answer. I hope not. Maybe the same guy that decided we could save energy, by using the energy to manufacture expensive ignition systems for water heaters rather than having a standing pilot, is responsible. But if you know the reasoning on this let me know, I only like to be stupid once. Thanks.

i believe the nate test seperates the men from the boys, i also believe that it does state on the test to "pick the best possible answer" i would agree that non of these answers are logical, but A is the best possible giving the 4 choices

so far AA

To T Martin, Thanks for your comments on the Nate certification. I may encourage my staff to get it with a pay incentive, I get mostly entry level people. This would be a good goal for them and of course I should take it too.
    That's what I'm really interested in, I shouldn't have brought up the "Question", but I couldn't resist after just going through the test questions posted. Anybody else have thoughts on NATE, good , bad or indifferent, I'd like to know what you think.

I agree on A and I believe the reasoning to be that the air in the ducts is conditioned so after the compressor stops you can still reap the benefits of the conditioned air that you have paid to condition.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Yes, it's "A." You can find it in some of the manufacturers SEER ratings documentation. It gains an average of of 1/2 SEER.

and i thought it was to finish blowing out the cold air still in the ducts to the rooms!!

It's A.

It's called residual cool. Newer thermostats like my Invensys allow you to set the residual cool time right on the stat. I like 90 seconds. This means the fan will continue to run 90 seconds after the condenser shuts down. The metal surfaces of the coil are still very cold, may as well use that instead of let it go to waste.

Good luck on the test.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Originally posted by midhvac
    Yes, it's "A." You can find it in some of the manufacturers SEER ratings documentation. It gains an average of of 1/2 SEER.
    correct!! It ain't brain surgery like the try to make it out to be. Common sense everytime!!

The answer is "A".

This is not to say that leaving the fan on longer doesn't create more latent and sensible load and use more power. That's a whole nuther situation.

It just means that you gain a smidge by running it for a few seconds after the c.u. shuts down.

GEOMETRY
    ALGEBRA
    nate has those in it..how much i dont know...i got to say i suck at both of them..and nate as tones of other stuff....
    why i dont know.....most the people i know that do resihvac.....could not pass it...all most dont even know what it is...i think its more for com..i want to get nate...
    """"how hard is nate"""????
    and how hard is it compaired to the rses608..test...
    rses608 was cake i thought.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast