Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 73
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    N. E. Missouri
    Posts
    9,750
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    If your parents made less than $60,000 you could have gone to Harvard for free. That is if you were accepted. That figue may be as high as 75k now. Now that is a liberal university. Or go to Stanford if your parents made less than 100k.

    Or you could go for a degree in broadcasting at Matanuska-Susitna College in Alaska like Sarah Palin. I don't think they have an endowment there though.
    Free? No. You mean other people paying for it? Yes.

    And I'm not sure where you're getting that information anyway, would you care to provide the facts? (keep in mind that President Obama insists that he has student loans for his education)
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,513
    you want to talk about public housing, fine.

    Back in the mid-90's I subcontracted my HVAC services to the Rochester Housing Authority. (The RHA is the single largest rental agent in Rochester with well over 3500+ units)

    The basis of the OP is true. People who receive public housing have no respect for what they have. I have witnessed this debauchery first hand.

    The RHA use to do something called "Lead Abatement". what this was is an attempt to remove all lead for a house. They would take the "renters" (welfare recipients) put them up in a hotel for a month or two and the RHA would go in and completely strip the house of EVERYTHING down to the shell and basically they would replace EVERYTHING from insulation to drywall to the paint, new flooring and carpet, add new appliances (Furnace, stove, refrigerator) and then move the "renters" back in. (The RHA would supply the furnaces, I would supply all sheetmetal and labor)

    I would have to go back, once in awhile and make adjustments.

    Every single house I went back to was completely trashed with 30 days.

    It was so bad, one time I went back on a job because "the furnace was not working". When I got to the house, there was a big hole in the drywall where the thermostat was hanging by one wire? when I asked what happened, no one seemed to know anything about how a big hole got in the drywall. When I sent a invoice to the RHA for the repair, they refused to pay, at which point I didn't like they way things were being handled and I refused to work for them any longer ( as you can imagine there is much more to this story, which included one RHA "supervisor" eventually going to jail for fraud)
    PUB'S
    The Official sunblock of Ireland

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Free? No. You mean other people paying for it? Yes.


    And I'm not sure where you're getting that information anyway, would you care to provide the facts? (keep in mind that President Obama insists that he has student loans for his education)
    Harvard has an endowment. It is a private school it didn't cost you anything.

    Harvard's endowment
    "Harvard Management Company (HMC) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Harvard University, charged with managing the university's endowment, pension assets, working capital, and non-cash gifts. HMC is best known for managing the university's $26 billion endowment, the largest endowment in higher education."

    http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answ...yendowment.asp

    Taken from article above.
    "Endowments represent money or other financial assets that are donated to universities or colleges. The sole intention of the endowment is to invest it, so that the total asset value will yield an inflation-adjusted principal amount, along with additional income for further investments and supplementary expenditures. Typically, endowment funds follow a fairly strict policy allocation, which is a set of long-term guidelines that dictates the asset allocation that will yield the targeted return requirement without taking on too much risk.

    Most endowments have guidelines that state how much of each year's investment income can be spent. For many universities, this amount is about 5% of the endowment's total asset value. Because some of the more coveted schools, such as Harvard, have endowments worth billions of dollars, this 5% can equal a large sum of money.

    Endowment donors can sometimes restrict schools on how they can spend this money. For example, donors can decide to use a portion of an endowment's scheduled income on a merit-based or need-based scholarship. Another standard restrictive use of an endowment's income is to provide funding for endowed professorships, which are used to attract world-class educators.

    Other than these restrictions, universities can use the rest of the allotted spending amount as standard income. Decisions about whether it should be spent on hiring professors, upgrading/repairing facilities or funding more scholarships is left up to school administrators. An endowment's investment income can also significantly lowers tuition costs for students. For example, if a university's endowment yields a total of $150 million and has a 5% spending limit, this would provide $7.5 million of available income. If the university had originally budgeted $5.5 million in endowment funds, this would mean that the excess $2 million could be used to pay other debts/expenses - savings that could be passed on to students.

    However, because universities depend on investment returns for supplementary income, there could be trouble if the investments do not yield a suitable amount of returns. Therefore, most endowments are run by professionals to ensure that the investments made are in line with the aforementioned policy allocation."

    Make less than $60k per year? Go to Harvard for free!
    http://current.com/items/89183416_ma...d-for-free.htm
    As far as Obama, graduate degrees can be different, especially for degrees in law. He may have received some pay for being editor etc. but he probably would have needed loans for the rest. (But you know he is lying.)

    Is Missouri the show me state or the do it for me state?
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  4. #17
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,513
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Harvard has an endowment. It is a private school it didn't cost you anything.

    Harvard's endowment
    "Harvard Management Company (HMC) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Harvard University, charged with managing the university's endowment, pension assets, working capital, and non-cash gifts. HMC is best known for managing the university's $26 billion endowment, the largest endowment in higher education."

    http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answ...yendowment.asp

    Taken from article above.
    "Endowments represent money or other financial assets that are donated to universities or colleges. The sole intention of the endowment is to invest it, so that the total asset value will yield an inflation-adjusted principal amount, along with additional income for further investments and supplementary expenditures. Typically, endowment funds follow a fairly strict policy allocation, which is a set of long-term guidelines that dictates the asset allocation that will yield the targeted return requirement without taking on too much risk.

    Most endowments have guidelines that state how much of each year's investment income can be spent. For many universities, this amount is about 5% of the endowment's total asset value. Because some of the more coveted schools, such as Harvard, have endowments worth billions of dollars, this 5% can equal a large sum of money.

    Endowment donors can sometimes restrict schools on how they can spend this money. For example, donors can decide to use a portion of an endowment's scheduled income on a merit-based or need-based scholarship. Another standard restrictive use of an endowment's income is to provide funding for endowed professorships, which are used to attract world-class educators.

    Other than these restrictions, universities can use the rest of the allotted spending amount as standard income. Decisions about whether it should be spent on hiring professors, upgrading/repairing facilities or funding more scholarships is left up to school administrators. An endowment's investment income can also significantly lowers tuition costs for students. For example, if a university's endowment yields a total of $150 million and has a 5% spending limit, this would provide $7.5 million of available income. If the university had originally budgeted $5.5 million in endowment funds, this would mean that the excess $2 million could be used to pay other debts/expenses - savings that could be passed on to students.

    However, because universities depend on investment returns for supplementary income, there could be trouble if the investments do not yield a suitable amount of returns. Therefore, most endowments are run by professionals to ensure that the investments made are in line with the aforementioned policy allocation."

    Make less than $60k per year? Go to Harvard for free!
    http://current.com/items/89183416_ma...d-for-free.htm
    As far as Obama, graduate degrees can be different, especially for degrees in law. He may have received some pay for being editor etc. but he probably would have needed loans for the rest. (But you know he is lying.)

    Is Missouri the show me state or the do it for me state?
    excellent job of moving further off topic
    PUB'S
    The Official sunblock of Ireland

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    excellent job of moving further off topic
    Somebody on the ARP committee asked for this info. Thanks for adding your little bit too BTW. It was very entertaining and informative. I remember my teachers trying to achieve both, they never did it quite like you though.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,627
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Somebody on the ARP committee asked for this info. Thanks for adding your little bit too BTW. It was very entertaining and informative. I remember my teachers trying to achieve both, they never did it quite like you though.
    Nobody makes freinds like you do,except geer maybe.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Nobody makes freinds like you do,except geer maybe.
    Thank you for putting me in good company.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,627
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Thank you for putting me in good company.
    And that my friend sums you up to a tee,just another troll with no a/c knowledge or experience Not to mention life experience.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    And that my friend sums you up to a tee,just another troll with no a/c knowledge or experience Not to mention life experience.
    Yes you are just dazzling me with your knowledge and experience. When are you going to start sharing all of that?
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    N. E. Missouri
    Posts
    9,750
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Harvard has an endowment. It is a private school it didn't cost you anything.

    Harvard's endowment
    "Harvard Management Company (HMC) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Harvard University, charged with managing the university's endowment, pension assets, working capital, and non-cash gifts. HMC is best known for managing the university's $26 billion endowment, the largest endowment in higher education."

    http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answ...yendowment.asp

    Taken from article above.
    "Endowments represent money or other financial assets that are donated to universities or colleges. The sole intention of the endowment is to invest it, so that the total asset value will yield an inflation-adjusted principal amount, along with additional income for further investments and supplementary expenditures. Typically, endowment funds follow a fairly strict policy allocation, which is a set of long-term guidelines that dictates the asset allocation that will yield the targeted return requirement without taking on too much risk.

    Most endowments have guidelines that state how much of each year's investment income can be spent. For many universities, this amount is about 5% of the endowment's total asset value. Because some of the more coveted schools, such as Harvard, have endowments worth billions of dollars, this 5% can equal a large sum of money.

    Endowment donors can sometimes restrict schools on how they can spend this money. For example, donors can decide to use a portion of an endowment's scheduled income on a merit-based or need-based scholarship. Another standard restrictive use of an endowment's income is to provide funding for endowed professorships, which are used to attract world-class educators.

    Other than these restrictions, universities can use the rest of the allotted spending amount as standard income. Decisions about whether it should be spent on hiring professors, upgrading/repairing facilities or funding more scholarships is left up to school administrators. An endowment's investment income can also significantly lowers tuition costs for students. For example, if a university's endowment yields a total of $150 million and has a 5% spending limit, this would provide $7.5 million of available income. If the university had originally budgeted $5.5 million in endowment funds, this would mean that the excess $2 million could be used to pay other debts/expenses - savings that could be passed on to students.

    However, because universities depend on investment returns for supplementary income, there could be trouble if the investments do not yield a suitable amount of returns. Therefore, most endowments are run by professionals to ensure that the investments made are in line with the aforementioned policy allocation."

    Make less than $60k per year? Go to Harvard for free!
    http://current.com/items/89183416_ma...d-for-free.htm
    As far as Obama, graduate degrees can be different, especially for degrees in law. He may have received some pay for being editor etc. but he probably would have needed loans for the rest. (But you know he is lying.)

    Is Missouri the show me state or the do it for me state?
    So it's just free. Nobody is paying anything for it. Oh, wait a minute, that would be those that donate to the endowment. AS I SAID, someone is paying for it. It's not that the School just 'does it for free'.

    Dang, I don't think I can spell it out any more clearly than that. Notice I didn't say I was paying for it, I said someone.

    And, for your further clarity, I am a participating member of this forum--if I'm posting as the ARPC I will be sure to sign it as such.

    mrs reb77
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    So it's just free. Nobody is paying anything for it. Oh, wait a minute, that would be those that donate to the endowment. AS I SAID, someone is paying for it. It's not that the School just 'does it for free'.

    Dang, I don't think I can spell it out any more clearly than that. Notice I didn't say I was paying for it, I said someone.

    And, for your further clarity, I am a participating member of this forum--if I'm posting as the ARPC I will be sure to sign it as such.

    mrs reb77
    You are welcome. I answered everything just how I wanted to thank you. Everything I wrote was clear and accurate. You are a member of the ARP committee are you not? I did not say it was an official action by you or the committee. Are we clear now?
    The endowment also earns money by investments which it uses for these purposes so it is not only donations. So in essence the school can give that away as if for free.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  12. #25
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,513
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    You are welcome. I answered everything just how I wanted to thank you. Everything I wrote was clear and accurate. You are a member of the ARP committee are you not? I did not say it was an official action by you or the committee. Are we clear now?
    The endowment also earns money by investments which it uses for these purposes so it is not only donations. So in essence the school can give that away as if for free.
    Nice "end around"

    Somebody on the ARP committee asked for this info. Thanks for adding your little bit too BTW. It was very entertaining and informative. I remember my teachers trying to achieve both, they never did it quite like you though.
    you clearly are implying your response was to an official request. But when confronted you throw your hands up and say "whoa! thats not what I meant"

    try to explain it away any way you want, it's IS perfectly clear what you meant
    PUB'S
    The Official sunblock of Ireland

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Nice "end around"



    you clearly are implying your response was to an official request. But when confronted you throw your hands up and say "whoa! thats not what I meant"

    try to explain it away any way you want, it's IS perfectly clear what you meant
    I said what I said nothing more nothing less.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event