Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Frown Johnson Controls

I just talk with a guy who got 'let go' 2 weeks before x-mas. He was with them for 10 yrs. He was a BAS tech. They replace him with 2 new guys. He told me that 2 other service techs were let go to, here in the midwest!

about 8 years ago I had the privilege of working for JCI... and contrary to the previous post, I did just walk in and say "Hey you fella's hire'n"

location location location

TexasAC, what part of the country did you just drop in?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"--Wayne Gretzky

Dallas area here.... would like to say what a great find this site is!!! seems to have great info and some nice people too... Just wish I could've found it sooner!

Hmm JCI

I heard from a PC tech that work for them that they laid off alot of people nationally from there 'solution' division, due to trying to be more competive with other companys, some of there people had to take wage reduction also. Go figure!

I started at jci as a chiller mechanic a little over a year ago.I really think it depends on the type of person you are with them.They have alot beauro/corporate b.s. to deal with.At times you will feel self employed due to the amount of responsibilties that are placed on you.If one is a self starter it might be a good match.I previously worked for a manufacture and find pros and cons to both sides.JCI you have intense paperwork,interaction with bean counter type of people,they can be pretty tight with the money as far as tooling....There is pretty good freedom which can be nice on a positive note.Im not looking directly to bail out at this time...but if something came along that looked nice considerations would be made.

jon304j,
    At which location are you employed? I find that all big companies go through occasional "rightsizings". Small ones do too.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"--Wayne Gretzky

St.Louis Mo.

jon304j

I was reading this thread and saw you're in St. Louis.
    I've mailed and faxed resumes directly to Johnson Controls
    along with applying on their web site and through another
    job board with no luck. Do they take applications
    from walk ins? I've found some places don't like that.
    My background is electronics and I just completed my
    program in HVACR to round out my knowledge.
    I want to go the controls route with JC, Seimens, etc.
    I've wired up a couple of Metasys systems and liked them.
    Thanks.

Don't forget alot of larger more established companies use head hunters and that may be the case with JCI. I don't specificly know that but that may be a reason you don't see ads. You know the head hunter ads I'm talking about " We are looking for and expierenced HVAC mechanics. We have been hired buy an established contractor to recruit mechanics with such and such qualifications send resume to: Acme Head Hunting

I really dont know how they hire the tech side.There is some web based job offerings online I think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12