Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 36 of 36
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Yeah but what about the Stones?

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,852
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Elvis got addicted to uppers and downers but never promoted drug use like the Beatles in their songs. Back in the early 60's anyone could get prescription amphetamines from any doctor if you said you needed to lose weight.

    That is not quite the same as taking LSD and smoking marijuana. I had no problem with Pat Boone and why robo thinks you have to wear White sheets to like him is beyond me. I did like Elvis' songs more than the rest including his Gospel music.

    There are Beetle fans and there are Elvis fans and it doesn't send anyone off the deep in and blow their top I would like to say I like Elvis' songs and I just don't like the Beatles. Some of there songs are OK but I didn't like their hippie hair cuts and their negative influence on our country and the world. Thank you, thank you very much
    Glenn, I never said anything about needing white sheets to like Pat Boone. I like some of Pat Boones music and it is really funny that he did that "no more mister nice guy" album.

    I also like Elvis's music, except for the gospel stuff because I don't much care for any gospel music. I can't think of what you might be considering a negative influence from the Beatles because all that I can think of from the Beatles music is positive. John Lennon came out with some solo stuff about his drug addiction that was pretty down, but for the most part, Beatles music is upbeat and positive.

    Hell, toss in the Monkees and we can discuss a triatholon.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  3. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,852
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonafan View Post
    Lennon was a bunghole. An over rated fraud of a human being. Chapman's only crime was he missed Yoko.
    This is quite hateful.

    For never having met or otherwise know John Lennon, he had a big impact on my life. I cried when he was murdered and I still wear black on December 8 in honor of his life. I just can't imagine what would prompt your feelings of Lennon.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  4. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,310
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    This is quite hateful.

    For never having met or otherwise know John Lennon, he had a big impact on my life. I cried when he was murdered and I still wear black on December 8 in honor of his life. I just can't imagine what would prompt your feelings of Lennon.
    Robo most people just know what they like , unless you really love music or have been around a musician or are a musician its almost imposible to really appreciate what either has done for music.

    Before elvis and the beatles there was blues , and there was jazz and country etc.
    The fusion we see today wasnt around.
    As far as changes to the music world no one will ever do what the beatles did, i just dont think its possible.

    Had he said that about ringo i would have understood, i still wouldnt have approved , but i would have understood
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,000
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Glenn, I never said anything about needing white sheets to like Pat Boone. I like some of Pat Boones music and it is really funny that he did that "no more mister nice guy" album.

    I also like Elvis's music, except for the gospel stuff because I don't much care for any gospel music. I can't think of what you might be considering a negative influence from the Beatles because all that I can think of from the Beatles music is positive. John Lennon came out with some solo stuff about his drug addiction that was pretty down, but for the most part, Beatles music is upbeat and positive.

    Hell, toss in the Monkees and we can discuss a triatholon.
    I will say this about the Beatles. Paul McCartney was the one great entertainer in the group in my opinion. Now he did have talent and could play several instruments. I suspect that he played by ear also instead of having to read or memorize music.

    I forgot to memtion another thing about my wife if you will induldge me. She cannot read music. She was kicked out of the music class her mom sent her to because of that talent. The other girls couldn't stand it that once she heard a soung she could play it and they got discouraged so the piano teacher told her mom that she didn't need any classes since she had that talent. But she never did learn how to read music from a sheet. Kinda of funny. Thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    I will say this about the Beatles. Paul McCartney was the one great entertainer in the group in my opinion. Now he did have talent and could play several instruments. I suspect that he played by ear also instead of having to read or memorize music.

    I forgot to memtion another thing about my wife if you will induldge me. She cannot read music. She was kicked out of the music class her mom sent her to because of that talent. The other girls couldn't stand it that once she heard a soung she could play it and they got discouraged so the piano teacher told her mom that she didn't need any classes since she had that talent. But she never did learn how to read music from a sheet. Kinda of funny. Thank you very much.
    A large percentage of people who play music play by ear. One friend I had could listen to a piece and play it. Another played drums and eventually his teacher caught on he was playing his lessons by ear and not reading his sheet music. He put a stop to it as it would have harmed my buddy's musical training. It would be like repeating someone's words but not being able to read. Writing whether words or music is a way of communicating ideas.

    Ear training is not that hard, it happens when you learn how to play an instrument. Most pop songs use the I, IV, and V (the note that the key is in, the forth and fifth note of the scale). Either the tune is in a major scale or the minor. Throw in a sixth or seventh to give the tune some movement and variation. After all we only have twelve notes to play with and usually use seven or less in a scale.

    Tom Petty is known to be a pretty decent songwriter and most of his songs use G, C, D. It is how well the song talks to the listener that makes it great. Some people write great tunes while others interpretations make them great. Hard to argue one has more importance than the other.

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,000
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    A large percentage of people who play music play by ear. One friend I had could listen to a piece and play it. Another played drums and eventually his teacher caught on he was playing his lessons by ear and not reading his sheet music. He put a stop to it as it would have harmed my buddy's musical training. It would be like repeating someone's words but not being able to read. Writing whether words or music is a way of communicating ideas.

    Ear training is not that hard, it happens when you learn how to play an instrument. Most pop songs use the I, IV, and V (the note that the key is in, the forth and fifth note of the scale). Either the tune is in a major scale or the minor. Throw in a sixth or seventh to give the tune some movement and variation. After all we only have twelve notes to play with and usually use seven or less in a scale.
    Tom Petty is known to be a pretty decent songwriter and most of his songs use G, C, D. It is how well the song talks to the listener that makes it great. Some people write great tunes while others interpretations make them great. Hard to argue one has more importance than the other.

    Well I can't agree with you about a "large" percentage at all at least not real good like say my wife. Everywhere we go and meet folks with pianos nearly all who can play do so by reading it or memorizing it. Nay it has been all so far.

    Maybe a coincidence but that is how I've seen it. She can play the Tennessee Waltz flawlessly, or any other song that she has ever heard and still remembers the melody. She used to be able to sing real good the "Knight Sisters".

    Won a trip to NYC in 58 at 12 years old to sing on the Ted Mack Original Armature Hour. Sad thing is she couldn't go since her younger sister who was 10 chickened out on it and was to afraid to go. Oh well that was a long time ago. Thank you, thank you very much. A
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,852
    Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Robo most people just know what they like , unless you really love music or have been around a musician or are a musician its almost imposible to really appreciate what either has done for music.

    Before elvis and the beatles there was blues , and there was jazz and country etc.
    The fusion we see today wasnt around.
    As far as changes to the music world no one will ever do what the beatles did, i just dont think its possible.

    Had he said that about ringo i would have understood, i still wouldnt have approved , but i would have understood
    I have yet to have anyone who talks trash about the Beatles, as a group or individually, who base their trash talk on any facts. I am not much of a fan of Paul McCartney because he has done things that were only motivated by money, but overall, none of the Beatles did anything in life anywhere near what many other entertainers, including Elvis, have done.

    The Beatles were a phenomenom as far as how the four of them added to the music that they produced. A lot of credit also needs to go to Brian Epstein for his way of handling the business end of the Beatles. Their collective solo albums show which talent each had individually to contribute to the sound of the Beatles.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  9. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,852
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    I will say this about the Beatles. Paul McCartney was the one great entertainer in the group in my opinion. Now he did have talent and could play several instruments. I suspect that he played by ear also instead of having to read or memorize music.

    I forgot to memtion another thing about my wife if you will induldge me. She cannot read music. She was kicked out of the music class her mom sent her to because of that talent. The other girls couldn't stand it that once she heard a soung she could play it and they got discouraged so the piano teacher told her mom that she didn't need any classes since she had that talent. But she never did learn how to read music from a sheet. Kinda of funny. Thank you very much.
    Paul McCartney is a good entertainer and of course is a great musician. He is my least favorite of the Beatles because he was so corporate minded and his being so headstrong was a major factor for the Beatles breaking up.

    After the Beatles broke up and went solo, it became apparent that George Harrison contributed a lot more to the music of the Beatles then was given credit for. John Lennon was obviously the lyricist and Paul McCartney had the knack for creating tunes that were catchy and upbeat. Ringo is the most versatile. Ringo has done every genre of music, and done it well. He also did some acting. Maybe his acting wasn't great, but it was still entertaining.

    I related more to John Lennon because of some of the things he had gone through personally. When Lennon was killed, he was just getting his act together as a husband and as a father to Sean. My son was 6 months old when Lennon was killed. Lennon's song to his son, Beautiful Boy, is a heartbreaking song knowing that Lennon lost the oportunity to do what he sang about to his son.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  10. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Pretty much how I feel about this as well. Pat Boone was the acceptable Rock and Roll artist by bigoted adults of the 1950's. Boone's version of Moody River is great, but let us not forget that even Pat Boone kept up with the times;
    .
    That one is not in my Album collection. I do remember it though. I also mean album collection. I still listen to vinyl. I prefer the anolog sound over digital. I use an all tube stereo system for listening to music. It really tones down the harshness of digital music.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event