Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Any one of the Beatles had more creativity in their bunghole than Elvis had in his entire body.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan36 View Post
    Any one of the Beatles had more creativity in their bunghole than Elvis had in his entire body.
    Lennon was a bunghole. An over rated fraud of a human being. Chapman's only crime was he missed Yoko.

If any of you had seen Forest Gump,you know that Elvis learned to dance from Forest..haha

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Really, who launched rock & roll across the country in 56? It was Elvis. I was a teenager at the time in in Tn and that was the first rock & roll music we heard. Heck the Beatles said that they got into rock & roll after hearing Elvis. He had 29 records make the top of the charts vs 22 for the Beatles. Well they did have a great influence with getting music glorifying drugs; marijuana, LSD, etc. popular and the illegal drug epidemic started in the US so you could say they did have a great influence in that. Sorry robo but in my opinion they had a very negative influence on America. Thank you, thank you very much

http://www.valdosta.edu/~dlscott/elvis/elvis.html

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...or-the-beatles
    Many correct things mentioned. The Beatles absolutely copied Elvis in their early years. When Tony Sheridan was lead singer for the Beatles, he sang just like Elvis.

However; Elvis was an entertainer. Elvis sang and performed, but did not write his own material or compose music. The Beatles did write their own music and did compose their own music, which is why some of the Beatles songs were able to be about drug use and hookers. However, just like Paul McCartney later sang about, most of the Beatles songs were love songs.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

But the point is that they promoted it and got it started with all the misery we see today. That they are alive is no excuse for what havoc they helped bring to your and our country and the whole world. Thank you, thank you very much
    Recreational drug use was rampant way before the Beatles hit the scene. And Elvis was a major recreational drug user. Accusing the Beatles of being responsible for rampant drug use is like blaming Chuck Yeager for Muslim's flying jet's into buildings.

Hey America wasn't in the drug culture then. Because they met one dude in NYC who was into it didn't mean that they got it from "America". They took to it and did their best to start the drug revolution here and around the world. Let's get real and honest here. There wasn't a "problem" to speak of until they started pushing it. Thank you, thank you very much
    Very wrong. The beatnik scene associated with jazz was in full swing in the 1930's and 1940's, before any of the the Beatles had been born.

You really need to stop only quoting American history by Bubba.

Quote Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
    Elvis was a drug addict. He died of an overdose taking a dump while eating a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich. I was stunned and saddened when I heard the news.

His music was very influential and really allowed white Americans to hear, for the firs time, the really great Black Southern R&B music that influenced Elvis.

The argument of who was more popular Elvis or the Beatles is silly. The Beatles represented a changing of the guard. They pioneered new sounds that were picked up by the Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Zappa, The Band, and many others. Everyone of the groups and many ,many more were influenced By Elvis, and many of his contemporaries. Not a lot of time to get into pop music history of the 1950's-2010's in a short post. There is a lot of history I am leaving out.

The Beatles did not have a negative influence on this country. No music influences any society. It is a product of the culture. It was as true now as it was when Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Saint-Sans, Telleman, Stravinsky, John Cage, and many others were composing their pop music.
    We lump all of it into "classical" music today.

Who did you listen to Glenn, Pat Boone.
    Pretty much how I feel about this as well. Pat Boone was the acceptable Rock and Roll artist by bigoted adults of the 1950's. Boone's version of Moody River is great, but let us not forget that even Pat Boone kept up with the times;

You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
    Elvis was a drug addict. He died of an overdose taking a dump while eating a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich. I was stunned and saddened when I heard the news.

His music was very influential and really allowed white Americans to hear, for the firs time, the really great Black Southern R&B music that influenced Elvis.

The argument of who was more popular Elvis or the Beatles is silly. The Beatles represented a changing of the guard. They pioneered new sounds that were picked up by the Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Zappa, The Band, and many others. Everyone of the groups and many ,many more were influenced By Elvis, and many of his contemporaries. Not a lot of time to get into pop music history of the 1950's-2010's in a short post. There is a lot of history I am leaving out.

The Beatles did not have a negative influence on this country. No music influences any society. It is a product of the culture. It was as true now as it was when Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Saint-Sans, Telleman, Stravinsky, John Cage, and many others were composing their pop music.
    We lump all of it into "classical" music today.

Who did you listen to Glenn, Pat Boone.
    Elvis got addicted to uppers and downers but never promoted drug use like the Beatles in their songs. Back in the early 60's anyone could get prescription amphetamines from any doctor if you said you needed to lose weight.

That is not quite the same as taking LSD and smoking marijuana. I had no problem with Pat Boone and why robo thinks you have to wear White sheets to like him is beyond me. I did like Elvis' songs more than the rest including his Gospel music.

There are Beetle fans and there are Elvis fans and it doesn't send anyone off the deep in and blow their top I would like to say I like Elvis' songs and I just don't like the Beatles. Some of there songs are OK but I didn't like their hippie hair cuts and their negative influence on our country and the world. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Very wrong. The beatnik scene associated with jazz was in full swing in the 1930's and 1940's, before any of the the Beatles had been born.

You really need to stop only quoting American history by Bubba.
    I was referring to American culture not the fringe of society like the beatniks or some Blacks. The drug use in America as everyone including you know took off in the 60's with the Beetles and their songs glorifying their use. Thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

There were plenty of american rock and blues and folk artists who contributed a lot more to the american drug scene than the beetles.

Not saying the beetles were not an influence.....but even had they not existed there were plenty of music groups in the USA that were not influenced by the beetles who helped influence and bring about the drug culture explosion of the 60s.

Elvis was a hayseed no talent bum who probably got hooked on pills thru their legal use. Speed etc.... to keep him going......sedatives to calm him down.....he probably drank a lot too.. Those guys back then didnt travel by planes a lot and they didnt have the big tour buses....one club to the other in the middle of the night...flying down the highways in their cars...

I doubt he had any influence whatsover on americas drug scene. He was too "the man"......part of the establishment.....

But... a lot of people liked Elvis....it is too bad that someone with so much wealth and affluence had to die on the toilet with a stomach full of alcohol and pills....... He could have done so much with his life..... Helped so many people..... what a waste.

I lived in Arkansas when Elvis croaked.....had a friend of a friend whos daddy worked for the shelby county coroner....I was told that when they went in there to get Elvis that he was dressed in a womans bathrobe and had ladies slippers on..... and had some kind of womans hairnet or something in his hair.... and had earrings on....

He was stripped off before taking him out as they didnt want him to be portrayed as some sort of degenerate freak....

Wonder if that was the drugs.....

I spelled beatles wrong above....Im not going to correct it though....just making mention of it here.. they must have been drunk or just ignorant when they decided to spell the name of their group like that....with an a instead of 2 e's.... of course it may have been drugs too....... who knows.

Also, my Elvis comments above are from my recollections of 30 years ago but I stand by them. Of course ...30 years ago.... just tossing that out there. when someone comes here demanding proof or facts.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    .....Elvis was a hayseed no talent bum........
    Do we ever have to hear anymore from you corny to know that you know absolutely nothing about anything you talk about. You cannot find anyone on the face of this earth who will honestly agree with you on that statement.

He was one of the best rock & roll singers of all times if not the best with more number 1 hits than anyone including the Beatles. Granted he was not a song writer but unsurpassed as a singer and entertainer.

One other note is that in addition to a great singing voice he also had the rare talent of playing the piano by ear. Jerry E Lewis also had that and believe it or not so does my wife. All she has to do is to hear the song and melody and she can sit down at the keyboard and play it flawlessly. Doesn't need to read the music or memorize the notes. That was also another talent of Elvis. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by glennac; 08-29-2010 at 09:11 PM.
    Barry Goldwater

Im to young to really appreciate what either did for music.
    Elvis was before my time as well as the beatles, but i do know before they came along there wasnt any rock and roll,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and thas good enough for me.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast