Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by superheater
    Originally posted by bootlen
    Raising the minimum wage only raises the cost of living putting minimum wage earners right back where they were and everybody else with the same pay having a harder tiime financially due to increased cost of living.

Dem/lib idiots are not smart enough to understand that.

Hey, motor. Do you have your OWN opinion. All you ever post is somebody else's. Even salamanders have their own opinions.
    Boot you stole that minimum wage quote from Archie Bunker
    ================================================== ==========

Archie said that? I didn't know he had any redeeming values.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

I had a whole hypothetical(pretend for some) situation typed out to explain necessary minimum wage increases, but it was too long and complicated. Here are the cliff notes. Parents of 2 kids have to work 2 jobs after turning lives around. The hours they must work to make ends meet on $5.15/hr. means little time spent with kids. Deteriorating family structure leads to possible gang involvement and drug dealing, theft, etc. for quick big bucks. This eventually leads to broken hearted parents asking why they ever worked to pay taxes and children costing taxpayers combined over $50,000/yr. in prison only after destroying lives selling drugs and creating countless other lives born to dope fiends.

The harsh reality is this, the bigger the gap grows between the classes the worse it is for all. Perhaps an increase for all over 18/non-students. I don't have all the answers, just opinions. If you are in favor of any kind of welfare reform and against raising minimum wages, explain your plan and why it isn't in place. People from towns with a population less than 25,000 need not reply.

Remember when responding that I understand this is not the salvation of our nation. It took a few generations to tear this great country down, it'll probably take several to bring it back up to where it was and should be. I don't condone Communism but I also don't understand why CEO's make as much as they do eating lunch, signing papers on the golf course, and going to "Dinners".

Newcool, Ilive in a town of less than 25,000. All i can say is i work for a small family owned distributor and our CEO. like most others has EARNED the right to sign papers and go to dinners. He puts in 60-70 hour weeks. This is a free country and everyone has the chance to better themselves. To me life is about choices poverty and low income are a choice unless you are truly disabled. I started as a delivery driver and after busting tail make a fine income for my family. My choice was to succeed and i did and will continue to do so.
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

What part of my do not respond if... didn't you get. It's all about perspective. That's what I'm going for. Your place doesn't matter much in the grand scheme. Not trying to be rude, just real. Look at populations of cities that burden Gov't, then your own. These people don't know you're there. Your city's combined income covers how much welfare output in a city like Dallas or Baltimore? These are just two off the top of my head. It's all about perspective, take a vacation to LA, see ALL of it, then tell me how it works.

Originally posted by newcooler
    What part of my do not respond if... didn't you get. It's all about perspective. That's what I'm going for. Your place doesn't matter much in the grand scheme. Not trying to be rude, just real. Look at populations of cities that burden Gov't, then your own. These people don't know you're there. Your city's combined income covers how much welfare output in a city like Dallas or Baltimore? These are just two off the top of my head. It's all about perspective, take a vacation to LA, see ALL of it, then tell me how it works.
    ================================================== =========
    Ya see, jpb. You have to live in the city to know anything...to have perspective...to count.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

Who's short?

Originally posted by motorboy1

Posted on Fri, Oct. 15, 2004

Falling short of his own standards

By Jack Z. Smith
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

In several very important ways, George W. Bush hasn't been the president that he assured Americans he would be.

The man who in 2000 touted himself as a "compassionate conservative" has proven incredibly charitable when it comes to providing tax cuts for the rich. But he won't push Congress to raise the pathetically low minimum wage of $5.15 an hour to help low-income working people.

The man who said his tax cuts would stimulate the economy and create droves of new jobs has witnessed an embarrassing net loss of more than 800,000 jobs during his administration.

At a time when America needs to add at least 1.5 million jobs a year just to accommodate population growth, Bush has the worst job-creation record of any president since Herbert Hoover (1929-33). In contrast, America gained nearly 23 million jobs when Bill Clinton was president.

Bush, who decries "tax-and-spend liberals," declared in 2000 that "big government is not the answer." But he hasn't been the responsible fiscal conservative he pledged to be. As president, he has not vetoed a single spending bill and has supported increased spending in numerous budget categories.

His failure to rein in spending, coupled with excessive tax cuts, has resulted in the largest federal budget deficits in history and projections of continued red ink far into the future.

Yet he stubbornly refuses to embrace a responsible "pay-as-you-go" policy requiring that any future tax cuts be offset by similar-sized cutbacks in spending or tax increases in other areas, or a combination of the two.

In 2000, Bush promised to be "a uniter, not a divider." He said he wanted "to change the tone of Washington to one of civility and respect."

But his administration and the Republican Party that he leads have often been needlessly polarizing and divisive. He has made little effort to rein in the relentlessly partisan GOP congressional leadership that includes bellicose House Majority Leader Tom DeLay.

Although he portrayed himself in 2000 as a principled straight shooter, Bush heads an administration that sometimes is willing to do whatever it takes to win.

When the administration was desperately trying to squeeze a costly Medicare prescription drug bill through a hesitant Congress, it publicly projected the bill's 10-year cost at $395 billion -- while keeping secret an estimate by the program's chief cost analyst that the real price tag would exceed $500 billion. That's the antithesis of shooting straight.

Long before today's world of $50-a-barrel oil and nearly $2-a-gallon gasoline, Bush promised to champion a comprehensive, balanced energy policy.

But he obstinately refuses to support one of the most obviously needed and beneficial measures: a substantial increase in federal fuel economy standards to diminish our heavy reliance on foreign oil from politically volatile nations.

At the 2000 Republican National Convention, Bush promised to "confront the hard issues," including "threats to our health and retirement security."

Yet today, approximately 45 million Americans lack health insurance, and those who have it are seeing their monthly premiums skyrocket.

As far as retirement security goes, Bush has done virtually nothing to address the huge long-term deficits facing Social Security and Medicare. In fact, he has weakened the nation's ability to deal with the problem by running up big budget deficits and spending surplus Social Security payroll tax revenues on other programs.

In 2000, Bush said, "We will give our military the means to keep the peace." As commander in chief, however, he and his advisers seriously underestimated the troop strength and containment measures needed to maintain calm and order in Iraq after the successful U.S.-led military invasion there -- hence the very messy situation there now.

Being president is an incredibly difficult job. In some ways, Bush has performed admirably, such as in the inspiring leadership he provided immediately after 9-11.

He certainly appears to be sincere, at least for the most part, in believing that his policies are best for America. And some of his policies have been sound.

In a variety of ways, however, his positions on economic, social and foreign policy issues have belied the unifying, compassionate, egalitarian, let's-all-come-together tone of his acceptance speech at the Republican convention in 2000.

Much of that speech was quite inspiring. But he hasn't lived up to it.

It's time for a new tenant at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Although John Kerry has his own warts, he's a breath of fresh air after four years of Bush.

If elected, Kerry will prove a wiser, fairer and better president than Bush. That's the bottom line, isn't it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jack Z. Smith is a Star-Telegram editorial writer. (817) 390-7724 jzsmith@star-telegram.com

http://www.dfw.com
    The way you talk, your so short you piss on your balls.
    In honor of Murray Woodgate (aka Carnak) 1961 - 2010

It took me to tell you that boot? C'mon now, do the numbers would ya. Big cities create and consume the most revenue. Makes sense they should have the most say on an issue affecting them the most right? The only way to start making things right for the future is with the kids. If people made some mistakes and haven't taken the right path in the past, but want to work towards doing so, shouldn't they be given some way to do so. The way they have had in the past is clearly not working, so change it for the better. Radical reforms need to be implemented(welfare especially). So rather than whining for popularity, get off your fat butt typing at me and go do something to help would ya. I do.

It took me to tell you that boot? C'mon now, do the numbers would ya. Big cities create and consume the most revenue. Makes sense they should have the most say on an issue affecting them the most right? The only way to start making things right for the future is with the kids. If people made some mistakes and haven't taken the right path in the past, but want to work towards doing so, shouldn't they be given some way to do so. The way they have had in the past is clearly not working, so change it for the better. Radical reforms need to be implemented(welfare especially). So rather than whining for popularity, get off your fat butt typing at me and go do something to help would ya. I do.

What are you? 21...22? At least act your age, dude. Those who are in their 50's/60's know a lot more about being 20 than you know about being 50/60. Keep that in mind.
    Do you think "old" people have never been young (and stupid for that matter)? The young don't know how to govern themselves...never mind anybody else. They totally lack self control. Wisdom does not exist in their world. Even Michael Moore, as ignorant as he is, knows that. And P-Diddy...hell, new, he's brainless. But there are a lot of him out there and they'll be the ones that will put K in. This nation is on its way out...no matter who wins. Are YOU ready for that?

As far as who I type at...you don't want me typing at YOU? Don't post stupidity.

As for getting off my fat butt, you don't know me. You don't know what I do when I'm not bored.

Ya see, new, I'm prepared for what happens next. I bet you are not.

Proud member of KA Club

Your age guess, way off. what age should I be acting dude? You lived the "Dude" years, tell me. Isn't that a stoner term? I never smoked that nasty herb myself, need some help with the term.
    The young may not know how to govern themselves, but they are being recruited to vote by the droves. Be afraid my good man. Life as it was has changed and not for the better, it will continue to do so.
    You did type at ME, check your post.
    My comment aout your fat butt was an attempt to wake you up and make you realize you spend too much time here not spreading what life lessons you've learned throughout your small community. Help a BoyScout troop or something, I chose Literacy Volunteers(helping people so they can fill out job app's and such). I've been working to make the small piece of world in which I live a better place.
    Prepare for what happens next? who are you to judge whether I'm ready or not? Only time will tell I guess. What odds you wanna put on that bet for me?

If someone cannot fill out a job ap, why in the heck should he make even minimum wage? If all they really know is how to make babies why should My taxes support them Just send them to Iraq, they can make big bucks working for Halliburton sitting on 18 wheelers as targets.

Your age guess, way off. what age should I be acting dude? You lived the "Dude" years, tell me. Isn't that a stoner term? I never smoked that nasty herb myself, need some help with the term.
    The young may not know how to govern themselves, but they are being recruited to vote by the droves. Be afraid my good man. Life as it was has changed and not for the better, it will continue to do so.
    You did type at ME, check your post.
    My comment aout your fat butt was an attempt to wake you up and make you realize you spend too much time here not spreading what life lessons you've learned throughout your small community. Help a BoyScout troop or something, I chose Literacy Volunteers(helping people so they can fill out job app's and such). I've been working to make the small piece of world in which I live a better place.
    Prepare for what happens next? who are you to judge whether I'm ready or not? Only time will tell I guess. What odds you wanna put on that bet for me?

#1.Check out ac's post above. We don't usually agree on anything but he makes a really great point.

#2.That's why I said act your age.

#3.Spent 26 years in TX. "Dudes" are people not acting their age.

#4.Probably is a "stoner" term. So is "inhale". What does that prove?

#5.I fear no man, regardless of age. Has nothing to do with whippin' butt. Has to do with being ready for what's next.

#6.Agreed. We're in a tight downward spiral and accelerating.

#7.Again, you don't know what I do when I'm not bored. If you really want to know, email me. I don't advertise it.

#8.I'm not judging whether you're ready for what's next. You've already been judged and I had nothing to do with it. Your posts are the indication that you're not. What comes out of your mouth is what is in your heart.

#9.I could be wrong about you.
    But I doubt it.

Proud member of KA Club

Believe it or not "ac" literacy is not a big thing in some inner city schools. People are pushed through, are star athletes needing to meet standards, yada,yada,yada. They do some bad stuff when they get out but some want to create a new life. Some factory jobs don't require reading as a part of them. If you want a reasonable price for a Delco windshield wiper motor in your van, do you care who made made it? Not everybody comes from the same place or mindset that you do. Who do you think still does all the crap jobs not sent overseas yet? Illegals and the aforementioned.

Now I gotta answer by number, here goes.
    1)Done
    2)Could say the same for you
    3)Steers and queers eh? You got horns?
    4)You're up on your lingo I guess. Not really my scene, I'll take your word for it, it was your era anyway.
    5)Too much whats next makes me depressed, next.
    6)Cool
    7)I'm guessing you post here and there.
    8)Never said you were judging me. What comes out of people's mouths is not always what's in their hearts. Knew a "born again whackado" always said Flippin instead of Fu#@in. Did he mean Flippin? Probably not. Not for me to say though.
    9)Ditto, but at least I tried with ya. I'll have someone pray for ya.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast