Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beck's Rally

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    You called Beck a clown and failed to provide any evidence. That is a character attack without relevant information.

In the past I have asked for specific information as to what is the left's problem with what Glenn says? In what way is his position wrong?

When I watch CNN, ABC and NBC I clearly hear them mock Glenn but I never hear any specifics as to what is wrong with what he promotes. Never any real arguments just mocking.

Regarding media coverage. Sure the major media gives him coverage, they mock him. If anything that sort of coverage should discourage people from attending his rally. But, in spite of such negative coverage people show up in droves. Kind of tells you how out of touch the major media is with the general population.

Glenn Beck has described himself as a rodeo clown. That was why it was in quotes, I assumed avid followers of his would be aware of this.

“I say on the air all time, ‘if you take what I say as gospel, you’re an idiot.’ GLENN BECK
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Glenn Beck has described himself as a rodeo clown. That was why it was in quotes, I assumed avid followers of his would be aware of this.
    Once again you assumed what I think, believe or do and you are once again wrong. I am not even a follower of Beck much less an avid follower. I occasionally listen to him just as I occasionally listen to those on the left, in fact I probably hear more from the left than from those on the right simply because the left has more control of the major networks.

I make up my own mind based on my personal world view without checking with the right or the tea party first. Those on the left especially the major media keep trying to (assuming) to make many of us out to be sheeple when many of us don't even check with the voices of the right.
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Once again you assumed what I think, believe or do and you are once again wrong. I am not even a follower of Beck much less an avid follower. I occasionally listen to him just as I occasionally listen to those on the left, in fact I probably hear more from the left than from those on the right simply because the left has more control of the major networks.

I make up my own mind based on my personal world view without checking with the right or the tea party first. Those on the left especially the major media keep trying to (assuming) to make many of us out to be sheeple when many of us don't even check with the voices of the right.
    I did assume wrong there. Here is another one of his quotes.

‘if you take what I say as gospel, you’re an idiot.’ GLENN BECK
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

Albert Einstein

Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

“I say on the air all time, ‘if you take what I say as gospel, you’re an idiot.’ GLENN BECK

That pretty much excludes me from the idiot class then. I have only listened to him on rare occasions.

Guess that is why I keep asking what it is that he proclaims that those on the left hate so much. I can't seem to get an answer, only mocking.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
    I hope you have a better grasp on HVAC then on history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing...t#Construction

Now re-read your message. Change the name to John Doe. You are trying to discredit whatever he says by your misunderstanding of a trivial fact. Wasn't that a movie, "Meet John Doe"?

A better question would be: what caused 500,000 people to go to Washington with virtual no media leading up to it?
    What did I misunderstand? I did not go into the details for the stoppage and resumption of construction whereas GB tried to use the misleading statement for his own benefit. His record as a poor historian stands.

Quote Originally Posted by netsalt View Post
    What did I misunderstand? I did not go into the details for the stoppage and resumption of construction whereas GB tried to use the misleading statement for his own benefit. His record as a poor historian stands.
    For the sake of argument let's assume you are correct and Beck is incorrect. How does that impact the message of hope and patriotism he claims to be advancing?

In other words, what practical difference does that mistake make to what he promotes?

I have occaisionally listened to his radio show and the gospel he preaches is far from being a message of hope. His brand of patriotism seems to be based in a flawed view of past events - he has a right to his own opinion but not his own facts. The teaching of history requires an objective view of factual events that can be verfied. From what I have heard of his latest schtick he is merely a story teller with an agenda. I will give him this though, the Beck brand is becoming a valuable commodity.

I have occaisionally listened to his radio show and the gospel he preaches is far from being a message of hope. His brand of patriotism seems to be based in a flawed view of past events - he has a right to his own opinion but not his own facts. The teaching of history requires an objective view of factual events that can be verfied. From what I have heard of his latest schtick he is merely a story teller with an agenda. I will give him this though, the Beck brand is becoming a valuable commodity.
    Netsalt, I have asked and am asking you again. Please give me specific examples of how Beck provides a "flawed view of past events". What specifically are some of those "his own facts" that are wrong. Tell us about is so called "stories".

I am not a Beck follower so please enlighten me with the facts that he has wrong.

What historical events has Beck claimed as fact, that are actually not fact?

I don't watch his show or listen to his radio show.

That's pretty funny Hugh..almost word for word my thoughts.

Your claim is the Civil War didn't stop construction. And that is false. Construction was in fits and starts and confused by various incompetent groups running it and bizarre participation. However, ultimately it was the Civil War that put it on hold.

On the sidebar clown discussion, TV clowns include Keith Olbermann, Jon Stewart, Steve Colbert, Bill Maher. The difference is Beck has a following because of what he says not how he says it.

Quote Originally Posted by cool-in-cayman View Post
    What historical events has Beck claimed as fact, that are actually not fact?

I don't watch his show or listen to his radio show.
    Don't expect any posts of substance. I have been watching CNN as they castigate Beck with mocks but fail to deliver any actual facts or dispute his position with substance.

And, I have an open mind on Beck. I keep hearing the mocking but never hear any evidence of all those so called falsehoods.

March 5, 2010
    On Friday’s program Beck asserted that George Washington claimed, “It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible.”

This is a popular bogus Christian nationalist quote.

The US Library Of Congress has a massive collection of Washington documents that can be searched by word or phrase. Here’s the description of that collection:

The complete George Washington Papers collection from the Manuscript Division at the Library of Congress consists of approximately 65,000 documents. This is the largest collection of original Washington documents in the world. Document types in the collection as a whole include correspondence, letterbooks, commonplace books, diaries, journals, financial account books, military records, reports, and notes accumulated by Washington from 1741 through 1799.

A search on the alleged Washington quote, and phrases from within the quote, produces no results.

Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast