Thread: Carbon Dioxide

Carbon Dioxide

I have heard many of you refer to having CO2. I was wondering what you are using it for?

R-744
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

R-744.

That's one thing is haven't used it for.

Cleaning coils is probably the most common use for CO2.

I have also used it as a purge gas and for pressure testing. This is not universally accepted, but has worked very well for me.

The coils you can use a blast of CO2 on are getting less with how flimsy they are getting.
    Those mico channels look nice for cleaning off dirt.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

we carry a 20lb cylinder for cleaning/blowing out things; blower assemblies, condenser coils(if not hosing them down), controls, heat exchangers, units, etc.

we also use it as pressure test media for gas pipe.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

blow out drain lines, clean condensers.

flip the bottle upside down, stick a small hose down the side of your boot for some quick cooling for the feet.

"If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Thanks for the info, Is it pretty effective at cleaning out the condenser coils? I am guessing you are blowing from the inside out?

http://www.amazon.com/Engine-CLEANIN.../dp/B000PCDX34

These are the best types of blowguns to use with CO2 in my opinion.

You take a hose and drop it in a bucket of cleaner and spray away.

Kind of like a mini pressure washer.

For me it totally sucks at cleaning condensers except in one situation: in an office building, self contained refrigerator that just has dust on the condenser, CO2 works great to blow the dust out.

Anything in a restaurant kitchen or on the roof, I'm bringing a water hose and NuBrite. Locate the floor drains, get a squeegee, and inform the manager before you flood the kitchen. If water hose won't reach to the roof then I bring Co2 but it really doesn't clean the condensers much. That's my opinion.

I think Co2 works great in Cleaning self contained units where no drain is avail to wash with chemical and water. Try this with it. It keeps the dust down while you blow out the coils.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 05-08-2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Removed link to advertising site

I have an MBK 6 2 1/2 lb tank that i fill off a 65 lb tank of Bone Dry co2.

I use it as a purge gas for brazing. I have standard CO2 for the cleaning process.

Quote Originally Posted by DelStein View Post
    I think Co2 works great in Cleaning self contained units where no drain is avail to wash with chemical and water. Try this with it. It keeps the dust down while you blow out the coils.
    Sorry didnt realize I wasnt supposed to post a link. I use a Coilpod dust bag for keeping dust down when cleaning smaller, self contained units, where no drain is availiable and blowing dust all over the customers kitchen is not acceptable.