Thread: Central unit heater

Post Likes

Question

My central unit when I place unit on heat. Which turns the heater on, I hear the fan running but no air is blowing from the vents. Also,when I place the unit from auto to run. It blows cold air. Could this be a heater relay

Post Likes
    What is a heater relay?
    Always give your best effort, be honest, and let the chips fall where they may.

Post Likes
    Could be lots of things, best bet is to call a pro and have it looked at, you could look in our contractor ads section for someone in your area...

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=8

Post Likes
    comments from mainmanscott is exactly what i am talking about. you are captain jackass for the day. "what is a heater relay?". scott, if you are not able to answer the question, why do you waste everyone's time with that stupid remark! people come here for advice, not your butt-headed comment!! share your knowledge or move on. for example, it sounds like you are having mechanic issues w/ the heater, this is where i would reccommend a svc. tech because he will probably have the parts you require. heaters are high voltage operation. non-experienced people most likely won't be able to service this style of heater. i hope you get the point!!

Post Likes
    Hey badbillr, who do you think you are calling me names for asking a question, or as you refer to, a "butt-headed comment."??? I am new in the field and haven't heard of a heater relay before. Maybe I know what it is and call it something else. Why don't you enlighten me a pass along some of your knowledge, or go drink a tall glass of shut the hell up.

Post Likes
    gldillingham If this is a gas unit most likely what you hear is the combustion air fan running and your blower fan is not coming on due to the gas burner not firing what have you got there big g is it a gas unit??
    When you give a lesson in meanness to a critter or a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.

Post Likes
    Could be too many things to guess with the limited info you gave.

Swampfox gave you the right advice.

Whats a heat relay?

Any relay that activates heat.
    Could be single pole, or double pole.

Post Likes
    So it's not a specific type of relay, but a general purpose relay used in that application?

Post Likes

Yes.

On the schematic of some units they will label a relay as the heat relay, what type it is, depends on the manufacturer.

I was working on a Applied Air unit last week, its heat relay was a 3 pole, 120 volt coil contactor.

Post Likes
    In my quest for knowledge, I've been reading about potential relays and current relays, so my mind was on the type, as in how it works, not the application. I suppose then you can call a relay anything, for whatever purpose it is being used for. Guess I was overthinking.

Post Likes
    That makes me think of one I saw the other day. It said on the box, "Definite purpose relay". Only, it didn't say what that definite purpose was. If it was so important to call it a definite purpose relay, shouldn't they at least say what its purpose was?

Post Likes
    I have always wondered about that myself, and still have no idea what that purpose is.

Post Likes
    mainmanscott- you have over 180 posts and you are trying to tell me you never heard of a heat relay, not exactly buying it. i think that was a retorted statement to defend your post and maybe guilt me in to feeling bad. sorry if you really don't know what one is, but i bet you have seen one!! trane used them alot for their heat strips. sometimes it was an 8-pin relay( brown body w/ 2 set of n.o. & n.c. contacts) or a contactor. relay strong, but contactor stronger. sorry for gitt'in on ya!

Post Likes
    It wasn't a retorted statement. Sorry, I went overboard. My mother "surprised" me with a visit in to town that week. It put me in a mood. Anyway, being new to HVAC, I have a lot of weak points and relays are at the top of the list. Too many kinds for me to know. Saw another type today (I think a switching relay, used for electric cable ceiling heat). It Looked like a transformer.

Post Likes

Lightbulb What is a heater relay?

I was browsing this post when I came upon mainmanscott question "what is a heater relay". I think the correct answer is: a heater relay is an overload protection relay that uses heat to trip the circuit to protect the load (usually a motor). It is not a regular relay used to control a heater. More modern overload protection relays use solid state components that will measure the current flow and will trip the relay when overload occurs.
    That's my take.

Post Likes
    Nothing like resurrecting an old post. I am MUCH more familiar with relays, and control circuits in general, now. I think they were refering to a relay that actually controls the heat being turned on and off. Could be a multi-purpose relay, contactor, or sequencer. Could have been a PCB problem. It may not have been a relay problem at all. The problem is the OP never got back to us, never told us what type of equipment he has or what fuel. It was impossible to know what the problem was.

Welcome to the board Marrao33. How's everything in Lynn?

Post Likes

Thumbs up

thank you for the welcome mainmanscott!!
    Everything is great around here. I just thought the argument bettween you and badbillr was very amusing and figured I should leave my 2 cents on the subject.

Post Likes
    Yeah, I'm kind of hot headed. You should be used to that in your area.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in