Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heros

Is it just me or are there any other people out there getting tired of hearing police, fire and military people being constantly referred to as heros? Why is it necessary to elevate these individuals to a status they haven't earned? Just because an individual fills a position, that doesn't automatically make them special. These people are hired to perform a job, and risk is part of that job. Nothing more, nothing less. The hero is the person that continually goes above and beyond. An example is Pat Tillman. Not a hero, just a soldier doing his job and he was killed. He isn't a hero, just an unfortunate victim of friendly fire. Just my thoughts.

Pat Tillman didn't have to go. He volunteered, not just for the military but for the toughest training in the military, for the toughest assignment, knowing his chances of returning were not the best known to man.

Then he died in the process. He died fighting the forces that would deny you the right to write your stupid post found above.

Never been in the military have ya, troy? Seems you have little if any knowledge about it.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

A guy who voluntarily signs up for service during a war and is killed as a result diserves a plaque somewhere. I'd say "hero" is a fair word to use.

But I agree with Troy that just being a police officer does not qualify you for hero status. Construction workers and farmers have an on-the-job death rate many times higher. In fact police officer is a pretty safe job statistically.

Firefighters - boarder line. In the rare instances where they put themselves in harms way to save a life, sure use the word "hero". But in most circumstances, "hard working civil servant" is probably more appropriate.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Hey bootlicker, I believe any military person that dies in battle did so protecting his ass and the asses of his partners. What is your military experience? I spent 21 years in the military, protecting your right to speak out freely and say what you want, and I retired as a senior NCO. I agreed to defend the constitution and protect the union from all enemys, foreign and domestic. I have a Bronze Star, two Meritoriuos Service Medals, three Commendation Medals and 17 other assorted awards and decorations, that I earned and wear proudly. Having said that, I stand by my statement about heroes. Give honor and praise when deserved but don't loudly and blindly spout out undeserved heroism. All that does is deminish the accomplishments of the true heroes. Maintenanceguy, I like your definition; hard working civil servant. That says it all.

As far as I know, firemen for instance don't put themselves in un-necessary danger. For the one's that bravely went into the twin towers, I would consider heros.

I don't really get tired of hearing the "Positive" news of heros. I think that it surpasses most of the dribble out of the media these days.

I don't believe that one would have to have medals out of the wazoo to be considered a hero.

Just my opinion.

[Edited by bb on 10-17-2004 at 09:06 PM]

Originally posted by troyorr
    Is it just me or are there any other people out there getting tired of hearing police, fire and military people being constantly referred to as heros? Why is it necessary to elevate these individuals to a status they haven't earned? Just because an individual fills a position, that doesn't automatically make them special. These people are hired to perform a job, and risk is part of that job. Nothing more, nothing less. The hero is the person that continually goes above and beyond. An example is Pat Tillman. Not a hero, just a soldier doing his job and he was killed. He isn't a hero, just an unfortunate victim of friendly fire. Just my thoughts.

What makes you feel that you need to speak out in such a manner? And then come back with your second post giving everybody details on your medals and ribbons. If you feel that way, then who cares what you think you've earned.
    It sounds as if you are bitter, and then you try to explain it away by posting your awards.

Cops put their lives on the line everyday as a matter of course, so believe what you want, but they are heros, as are our fireman and military personnel.
    I assume that you don't put your life on the line when you go to work.

Anybody that makes a living off tax payers money is not a hero

Originally posted by acmanko

Were you born an idiot, or is it something you had to work at?

Hey bootlicker, I believe any military person that dies in battle did so protecting his ass and the asses of his partners. What is your military experience? I spent 21 years in the military, protecting your right to speak out freely and say what you want, and I retired as a senior NCO. I agreed to defend the constitution and protect the union from all enemys, foreign and domestic. I have a Bronze Star, two Meritoriuos Service Medals, three Commendation Medals and 17 other assorted awards and decorations, that I earned and wear proudly. Having said that, I stand by my statement about heroes. Give honor and praise when deserved but don't loudly and blindly spout out undeserved heroism. All that does is deminish the accomplishments of the true heroes. Maintenanceguy, I like your definition; hard working civil servant. That says it all.
    ================================================== =========

Apologies to you, troy. You put a splinter under my nail with your implication that Tillman was less than a hero. Maybe definitions of hero should be hashed out.

Yeah, he was in the survival mode, I'm sure, but he hung in there despite the fear. To me, that makes a hero. When you face death or injury with fear but continue anyway, you're a hero. You do that without fear, you're not a hero...you're just stupid.

And no, I don't think being in the military makes you a hero. Neither does being a cop or being a firefighter. It's the actions you take that can lead to hero status.
    Maybe being a cop is statistically safe but they go into dangerous situations and can most times defuse the situation. But sometimes they can't. Two deputies were shot and killed ambush style in a domestic dispute here about 2 years ago. Were they heroes? I don't know. I wasn't there. Maybe they were just stupid. Either way, they faced danger and died in process. They died trying to protect someone else.

BTW, thanks for serving and putting up with the BS for so long.

Eight years, '67-75 USAF; Viet Nam, Cambodia, Laos; DFC, 5 Air Medals, and numerous other awards & decorations, to answer your question.

No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

The hero is the person that continually goes above and beyond. An example is Pat Tillman. Not a hero, just a soldier doing his job and he was killed. He isn't a hero, just an unfortunate victim of friendly fire. Just my thoughts.
    I have to TOTALLY disagree with you, in fact you need to re-evaluate your thinking.

I had no idea who Pat Tillman was before I heard on the news that he was a professional football player who died in afganistan. I later learned that he turned down a 3 million dollar contract to play football.

Instead of taking the money like anyone else would do, he signed up to fight for his country. That displays a lot of courage do that. He wasn't a hero because he got killed, he is a hero for standing up and fighting when he didn't have to.

By the way troy, what was your duty afsc?

Senior Tech Guest
    Originally posted by acmanko
    A fair assessment, as much as it hurts for me to agree with you.
    My definition of a hero is one who displays courage and thinks not of themself but about those around them in the heat of the battle.
    Do I have hero's? Yes, my Dad, my mother, and many others who were there when I needed them for different reasons...they never thought about themself when I needed them...only me. Are soldiers heroes just because they die in battle? In my opinion, yes, simply because they are where they are to protect me and fellow americans and to protect our rights. Unlike what some like to think they are not there just to recieve free college educations...
    For the record I have been a soldier and police officer, do I consider myself a hero? Absolutely Not.

heroes are on a case by case basis, to lump all firefighters, police and such as heroes is not right, that puts them on par with a sandwich served in ny city, they deserve mention but not the laurels unless they have earned it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast