Thread: Tappan AC

Confused Tappan AC

I have a Tappan split system installed a few years ago. Everything seemed fine until this summer. Basically the AC is working fine, cools good, but it has recently started acting peculiar. The thermostat call for cooling (cool on) air handler blower and compressor start fine and may continue until it meets the Temp set on the thermostat & then turns off the compressor & the inside blower. But sometimes on the next call for the thermostat (cool on) the air handler blower may only run for a few minutes or more, turn off(with 'cool on' still on thermostat & compressor still running), then turn on again and may continue to do this. The blower doesn't seem to be particularly hot, unless it has run for an hour or so, then it is warm to the touch. Why would the inside blower cycle on and off like this ? Is this something to do with the fan relay on the control board ? If you just turn the fan to 'on' not 'auto' the fan runs fine, so I don't think it has anything to do with the fan thermal switch. I've had one tech out and he thought it was the blower. Another told me not to run the ac because if the blower doesn't run all the time you could trash your compressor, but the blower on stops for maybe 10 seconds at a time. I'm really confused any suggestion would help, thanks

I have the same problem. AC works fine, seems like the 2nd time the thermostat calls for cooling the cycling of the inside blower begins, but it only shuts off for a short period of time and then starts up again. I had a tech out and he said it was my blower(over heating) it's not even that warm unless it runs for an hour or so. Hate to pay another tech unless I can find a good one. I'm was thinking more the fan relay, but means I'd have to buy a new control board and my unit is only like 3 years old. Let me know if you get any good clues.

I'm having a problem with my central air conditioner. It's only a few years old and has starting doing something a little strange. It's a Tappan (Nordyne) unit. Everything runs great, a call for cool, inside blower and outside condenser come on, meets the demand and turn off. The inside blower running a little after the compressor shuts down as it should. The unit may run normally for several cycles (7 or 8), but then the inside blower may turn off once for 30 seconds or less, then restart and finish the cycle for the demanded cooling set. The next time the fan might go on and off more than once during the cycle all while the outside unit(compressor) is still running. I know that this is not normal, but I'm not sure what is doing it. after a lot of research and testing I'm guessing it's the fan relay on the Nordyne Board # (624631B). I'm sure it is supposed to be energized while in the cooling mode. There is nothing wrong with the Thermostat. Do these ' fan relays' on the boards sometime fail prematurely ?
    Please just give me a clue if im headed in the right direction. The inside fan motor is not overheating, it can run for an extened period. I see that the relay is made in China, lol. Unfortunately you have to replace the whole board when doing this repair. Thanks
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-11-2010 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Merge all his post, they're are about the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by Dave5974 View Post
    If you just turn the fan to 'on' not 'auto' the fan runs fine. I've had one tech out and he thought it was the blower.
    Did you tell that tech this, and he still said he thinks it's the blower? of course it could be a speed issue, but I doubt it, you need to call another tech out, 3's a charm.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Sorry, this is not a DIY site.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I combined all of your post about this same problem.

Please don't make multiple threads/post about the same problem.
    Contractor locator map

Angry Tech

Well, I guess if I could find a competent tech, I wouldn't have to be fixing it myself. They charge anywhere from $up & don't even get it. I thought this was a site to discuss problems, not a site where contractors are trying to drum up business. Good bye.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-11-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Price

Talking Your Site

Check out your site info .. when you search for your site it says info for contractors, homeowners, and do-it-yourself enthusiasts to use for heating and air conditioning concerns. If this is only a professional site it would be a good idea to change your site info.

Check out your site info .. when you search for your site it says info for contractors, homeowners, and do-it-yourself enthusiasts to use for heating and air conditioning concerns. If this is only a professional site it would be a good idea to change your site info.
    That is a left over from many years past. And not put up by the site.

Just read the rules. It explains what you need to know.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    That is a left over from many years past. And not put up by the site.

Just read the rules. It explains what you need to know.
    Ahh, this explains a lot about some of the initial posts. In fact, Google originally sucked this from your html meta tags. You are right, they are no longer there but Google continues to use them. Here is your current tag on the residential forum:

<meta name="description" content="Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. No pricing, no DIY, please read Site Rules Register" />

Google is not updating your meta tag for some reason. I would talk to your webmaster about that, or an SEO expert. Probably a simple fix. Since the site is advertising supported, you should have an SEO evaluation anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images