Question

sorry in advance for the newbie question, but lately i am experiencing surging in the site glass of my steam boiler. after searching on a solution for this, i see that the most common fix is to clean the boiler. i saw one post on another forum that said to fill/drain repeatedly which would do the trick but this sounds too easy. what is the best way to clean my peerless steam boiler? should i call someone or this somehting i could attempt myself without my wife making me regret it?

oil-2-4-6-gas is offline Professional Member b&M _email server rejected

call a pro there are chemicals for this it requires taking off fittings to pour the cleaner in --after this is done have the water tested and the PH checked

It would be best to call in the Pro for a Steam Heating system..

Steam is not something you should mess with yourself.

if the serviceman feels that you are able to do it yourself, he may show you how to do it down the road.

With steam, there are more safety controls that MUST work to ensure safe operation of your system. So that why it best to have a pro in to check those safety control system out.

uuuu

[Edited by rubberduck on 10-16-2004 at 07:17 AM]
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

thanks to all for the info. nelson, thanks for the link to that site. there is a ton of stuff there for me to read.

any idea how much i should pay for a cleaning? i'm looking for estimates now.

c'mon, now ....

i have absolutely no problem with you CLEANING the waterside of your boiler .... go get som TSP .. or "Scout" ... painters use this for a pre=cleaner ..... take off a nipple, on a Cold boiler, of course ... pour it in .... there is a fitting at the boilers suggested waterline ... remove this, fire the boiler, keep "skimming" the crap out thru this opening for a half hour or so ... that'l do it ..

...oh yea...ahh...