Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

How Important Is It To Learn Control Wiring?

Im in my second month at Lincoln Tech and i started my Basic Electric Course. I was told that learn Control Wiring was extra important in HVAC. But my instructor said it really isnt that important. So i just want to know from people already in the business how important or unimportant it is. Thanks in advance.

Your instructor could not be more wrong...everything is controlled by electronics, and you'll need a really good background in this field!!! Unless you simply want to be an installer, or ditchdigger, whichever!!

I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Your instructor could not be more wrong...everything is controlled by electronics, and you'll need a really good background in this field!!! Unless you simply want to be an installer, or ditchdigger, whichever!!
    even installers need to know control wiring....

WOW I wonder what other useless information this instuctor has !!!!

It is vital to get a good grasp of control wiring in the HVAC/R field. You can learn basic concepts in school but, your real education starts when you walk up to a 250 ton chiller that is old and has no wiring diagram or the one that is there is worn off.

Learn to read and understand all types of wiring diagrams. There is no standard (except for symbols) all companies have different ways of drawing wiring diagrams for their units.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Quote Originally Posted by khc95 View Post
    WOW I wonder what other useless information this instuctor has !!!!
    I thought that myself.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

If your Teacher really said that you either need a new Teacher or a new School or preferably both.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAClambright View Post
    Im in my second month at Lincoln Tech and i started my Basic Electric Course. I was told that learn Control Wiring was extra important in HVAC. But my instructor said it really isnt that important. So i just want to know from people already in the business how important or unimportant it is. Thanks in advance.

Guarantee that he told yu that because he doesn't understand electrical to begin with.
    The last teacher that the had here also didn't know or understand electrical - power or control.

Richard
    Lets get H.I.G.H. http://www.theletsgethigh.com
    Honesty, Integrity, Gallantry, Honor

The most

From the point of view of a homeowner, I think I want the people working on my HVAC to understand control wiring.

Hey, I went to lincoln tech in union,N.J. and graduated in 1978.I now live in Atlanta,ga.I have done HVAC for 30 years.Everything you learn is important.Control wiring IS important.Without proper control wiring, the equipment will not work!!!!

What ?

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post

Extreamly important. If you consider that about 80% of the problems with HVAC equipment are related to the electrical control components that means even if you are refrigeration genus you can't deal with 4 out of 5 HVAC problem unless you KNOW "Control Wiring".

I am skeptical of your instructors credentials and background. Every instructor I have ever had or talked to said the exact opposite.

Just sayin'
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast