New Heat Pump/Air Handler

I've never purchased a heat pump (or furnace) before, but my wife and I began pricing these systems a few weeks ago. We received several offers, but would like to go with a Trane. The salesman was courteous, but I can't say that I trust him 100 percent. I have a connection that may be able to get the system at cost for me (but would have to find someone to install it for me; I have an uncle who is certified). Could someone verify that these two units are compatible? He recommended:

Heat Pump: Trane XR15, 15 SEER, 2.5 Ton (Model Number: 4TWR5030)
    Air Handler: Variable Speed 3.5 BTU, 19KW (Model Number: 4TEE3F40A)

Questions:
    Can someone confirm that these two units are compatible?
    Together, are they eligible for the tax refund?
    If I were going to do this with an outside person, what else would I need to buy (is their a coil that needs to be purchased or is that included?)
    What's a coffin box? He included that on the quote, but I'm unsure if I would need to buy it.

I know some of these questions may seem awfully ignorant, but any help woudl be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

So you've had reputable companies come in and give you a lot of their time and effort and now you want to undercut them by trying to get just the equipment at cost??

C'mon, are you that thoughtless?

Not a matched system, not eligible for the tax credit, alot more needs to be purchased for a proper install, and a coffin box is what you'll want to put someone in if you go through with a side job install and get no tax credits or warrantys, especially with a Trane( wait till you find out what parts cost).
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Quote Originally Posted by phillira View Post
    I've never purchased a heat pump (or furnace) before, but my wife and I began pricing these systems a few weeks ago. We received several offers, but would like to go with a Trane. The salesman was courteous, but I can't say that I trust him 100 percent. I have a connection that may be able to get the system at cost for me (but would have to find someone to install it for me; I have an uncle who is certified). Could someone verify that these two units are compatible? He recommended:

Heat Pump: Trane XR15, 15 SEER, 2.5 Ton (Model Number: 4TWR5030)
    Air Handler: Variable Speed 3.5 BTU, 19KW (Model Number: 4TEE3F40A)

Questions:
    Can someone confirm that these two units are compatible?
    Together, are they eligible for the tax refund?
    If I were going to do this with an outside person, what else would I need to buy (is their a coil that needs to be purchased or is that included?)
    What's a coffin box? He included that on the quote, but I'm unsure if I would need to buy it.

I know some of these questions may seem awfully ignorant, but any help woudl be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Phil - When you start talking about buying equipment on your own you enter DIY territory, which this site does not support. On the other hand, let's say your uncle is proposing equipment that he will purchase equipment to install in your house and you want some opinions on it, there are a lot of guys here who will help. Or maybe he's got a couple of choices and you want to know which is best, and why ... or you want to know how to verify his sizing ... or you want to know how to check tax credit qualifications. That kind of stuff is welcome here, but not DIY.

I love when the HO buys the equipment and I put it in. I take the normal price and then remove my cost of the equipment from the bid. It ends up costing the HO more, I make the same profit and I don't have to warranty the parts.

You might be able to get the seller to warranty the parts for you but you would have to pay for shipping, both ways, and wait for weeks to get your part. So your heat and a/c are not working while you wait. When you do get the part I come back for a second trip (includes another travel charge) and put the part on.

Of course if you would have bought from me the first time it would have been working that day or the next at no charge to you.

Which is the better deal?
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.