Interesting Read/gods b4 jesus

I find this interesting. I know many people will dispute the validity of these stories in Egyptian, Greek and Indian history just as so many people dispute the validity of the Bible, it is an argument that will go on for generations.
    Regardless, I found this to be an interesting read. Have a good week.

http://culturalvision.net/html/merry_mithras.html

I believe Mithra appeared at about the same time as Christianity and not 600 years before as the article implies. There are parallel stories that are older than Christianity and virgin births were a recurring story. There are theories that Dec. 25 was picked to coincide with pagen holidays. Originally Jan.6 (Ephinany) was "celebrated" as Christ's birthday.

The story of Horus seems a little off also.
    "Horus was born to the goddess Isis after she retrieved all the dismembered body parts of her murdered husband Osiris, except his penis which was thrown into the Nile and eaten by a catfish, and used her magic powers to resurrect Osiris and fashion a gold phallus to conceive her son. In another version of the story, Isis was impregnated by divine fire. Once Isis knew she was pregnant with Horus, she fled to the Nile Delta marshlands to hide from her brother Set who jealously killed Osiris and who she knew would want to kill their son. There Isis bore a divine son, Horus."
    This sounds like Lorena Bobbits version of a Christmas story.

The worship of Krishna is not as old as that story says either it seems.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    There are theories that Dec. 25 was picked to coincide with pagen holidays.
    This is a true statement. It was made to be celebrated on Dec. 25 to coincide with the pagan holidays as a way to make Christianity and the birth of jesus more readily available to other believers of that time. I actually work with fundamentalist Christians who believe we are spot on, dec 25 is his REAL birthday………ahhhhh, the blind leading the blind.

It's a lot easier if we think of all known gods as either parts of God the Father or as part of evil. It is not that these gods did not exist, per se. It is that we have misunderstood that these gods were mere parts of either the God of Abraham or of Satan.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV