Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TxTurbo View Post
    What's the model number of the furnace? If it's an SL series or G61V, it might be worth it.

Are you looking into a zone system? If so, get the two stage system. Otherwise your contractor may be correct about it not being able to push air up to the second floor. I don't know since I haven't seen your duct system.

The XC14 is slightly quieter and the XC16 is two stage and slightly more efficient. If it were my house, I'd look into a zone system with the XC16.
    TxTurbo,

The model number quoted to me for the 91 BTU unit was a G61VMPV-36C-091. Right now, I manually zone my house with dampers and it works fine. I'll probably continue to do that with additional dampers for the new registers for the basement.

The theory behind moving to a 110K unit (for free) was that the furnace will run in the first stage most of the time, delivering and maintaining more consistent temperature at lower btu's while giving extra airflow capacity with the bigger drive motor with the 5 ton blower wherein the airflow delivery can be adjusted accordingly.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does! It's the G61V which means it won't matter what size the blower is. It'll adjust itself as needed.

Since you have manual dampers, the two stage system in combination with the G61V seems to be a great fit.

Thanks again. Is there any downside in going with the 2-stage 110K BTU over the 91K BTU unit?

Quote Originally Posted by dave78 View Post
    TxTurbo,

The theory behind moving to a 110K unit (for free) was that the furnace will run in the first stage most of the time, delivering and maintaining more consistent temperature at lower btu's while giving extra airflow capacity with the bigger drive motor with the 5 ton blower wherein the airflow delivery can be adjusted accordingly.

Does that make sense?
    Nope. It sounds good to potential customers though.

You will lose the comfort that a 2 stage should provide. Because you won't have long run times in the early or later part of the heating season.

A 110,000 in first stage, is the same capacity as a 70,000 in second stage(alittle more).

You can't adjust the air flow like he is making out. Since the furnace needs X amount of air for the firing rate its at. If you use its blower to "force" air through the duct work. You end up with real loud ducts/registers.

Search the threads on this board for noise or loud duct systems.

Starting to sound like he'll throw in anything that he already has in stock.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I own a 2300 sq ft house in SE Pennsylvania and am in the process of finishing my basement (~700 sq ft) with the plans to heat/cool the basement with my central forced air HVAC system.
    Thank you in advance!
    Make sure to have a 75-90 pint per day dehumidifier as part of your remodel to maintain <50%RH throughout the green grass months of the year. A/c is not able to maintain dry enough conditions to avoid mold/dust mites in the basement area. If you want dry throughout the home during cooling damp conditons when the a/c is not running much,connedt the dehu to the ducts of the home. Honeywell, Ultra-Aire, Rheem etc are brands of the types of units. This will make the new space the most comfortable space in your home.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Thanks everyone. This is great. 3T it is for the A/C. I am also shying away from Whirlpool...you're right, there isn't much info out there about it, so its near impossible to gauge the reliability.

I just had an offer from one of the contractors to upgrade the furnace to a two-stage 110K BTU with a 5T fan for free. Is it really "free" or will it wind up costing me more in my energy bill? Given I keep my house at 68 in the winter, do I really need this large of a unit (even if it's "free")?

He also said he recommends the single stage A/C unit as he said the two stage operation will "work against the second floor air delivery with the addition of the basement." Earlier he said the two-stage would remove more humidity...now I'm really confused. The SEER ratings on the Lennox XC14 and XC16 are nearly identical. Given I keep my house at 75 in the summer, is it true that the XC14 would be a better option for my house (2 stories + basement; 3000 sq ft total)?

Thanks again. Your insight has been great.
    Hmmm, sounds like your guy has a 110K BTU unit in his truck he needs to get rid of. Supersizing might be good at McDonalds, but not in this case.

The guy with the 110k, 5t. drive needs to upsize his bib overalls.

I sense that was the case (110K unit on the truck). If first stage operation is 70%, then that's 77K BTU, which is higher than my current 75K BTU single stage unit!! I've received one quote where they are downsizing the BTUs (70K BTU 2-stage) but increasing the blower to a 4T. That seems more reasonable.

Beenthere,

Thanks for the tips on the noise.

Your welcome.
    Contractor locator map

On another note, I have received quotes for upgrading the filter system to 5" from 1". I've heard 1" filters called "furnace killers" by one contractor while another contractor said the 5" filters would "dramatically reduce air flow." Any recommendations? Should I pay the upgrade cost to pay for the expensive 5" filters? My family thankfully does not have any respitory issues.

Thanks in advance!

On another note, I have received quotes for upgrading the filter system to 5" from 1". I've heard 1" filters called "furnace killers" by one contractor while another contractor said the 5" filters would "dramatically reduce air flow." Any recommendations? Should I pay the upgrade cost to pay for the expensive 5" filters? My family thankfully does not have any respitory issues.

Thanks in advance!
    The larger filter don't restrict the air like the 1" filters do. Boy, I hear it all on this site.
    I like the larger filters, personally.

I am getting a 3T A/C Lennox A/C unit (the XC-14) along with a G61V 2-stage variable speed furnace. The furnace has two blower options: 1) variable speed of 2-3.5 Tons of add−on cooling (625-1395 ccm) and 2) variable speed of 3.5-5 Tons of add−on cooling (895-2215 ccm).

Will the 3.5-5 Ton furnace blower be compatible with the 3T XC-14 A/C unit?

I'm leaning towards this larger unit given I'm adding two supplies to the basement, but am I going to feel like I'm living in a hurricane if I go with the 895-2215 ccm (3.5-5 Ton) furnace blower? I'm assuming it can be adjusted towards the low end and would be comparable to what I currently have (3 Ton single stage).

Appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

I am getting a 3T A/C Lennox A/C unit (the XC-14) along with a G61V 2-stage variable speed furnace. The furnace has two blower options: 1) variable speed of 2-3.5 Tons of add−on cooling (625-1395 ccm) and 2) variable speed of 3.5-5 Tons of add−on cooling (895-2215 ccm).

Will the 3.5-5 Ton furnace blower be compatible with the 3T XC-14 A/C unit?

I'm leaning towards this larger unit given I'm adding two supplies to the basement, but am I going to feel like I'm living in a hurricane if I go with the 895-2215 ccm (3.5-5 Ton) furnace blower? I'm assuming it can be adjusted towards the low end and would be comparable to what I currently have (3 Ton single stage).

Appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.
    Why do you want a blower that is larger then you need.

You want the smaller blower.
    Contractor locator map

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast