Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need some grass man

My yard looks like a hammered dog turd. I seeded, fertilized, and waterd, for over a year and it still looks terrible. The grass is very sparse. There is grass, but its not full. Is it time for sod or more seeding? Its the front and side that look the worse and they are heavily shaded by trees. I thinnned the frontyard tree down as much as I could to get more sun in the front.

How much water a week, 1"? Plus should I bag it everytime I mow, I normally dont bag it. With 100 deg heat is it better to leave the grass longer to keep it from getting scorched?

Oh................this is about your yard.

How boring.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Quote Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
    With 100 deg heat is it better to leave the grass longer to keep it from getting scorched?
    I agree, I am living out on my Mom's property, about an acre, and I don't mow it until it rains, and the grass has stayed pretty nice and green, this heat is a killer.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post

How boring.
    Ok Ed, this is for you.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

How much do you need? I know a guy who.....oh wait.....nevermind!

It could be a lack of good topsoil to grow in.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
    My yard looks like a hammered dog turd. I seeded, fertilized, and waterd, for over a year and it still looks terrible. The grass is very sparse. There is grass, but its not full. Is it time for sod or more seeding? Its the front and side that look the worse and they are heavily shaded by trees. I thinnned the frontyard tree down as much as I could to get more sun in the front.

How much water a week, 1"? Plus should I bag it everytime I mow, I normally dont bag it. With 100 deg heat is it better to leave the grass longer to keep it from getting scorched?
    1 1/4" and mow with your gauges hooked up to your A/C it might help..
    I am an experienced, caring, trusted, service provider who solves my customers issues beyond there expectations by educating them and guiding them with value-building options to make excellent buying decisions while building security and wealth for my company, myself and my family.

Try the extensions lab at your local state university.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post

How boring.
    ROFL.

I thought it was going to be an interesting thread at first too.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Would that be a Black Lab turd or just a Poodle?? My opinion about my lawn is "If it's green mow it!" At least you're saving on mowing costs!!!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

If you are buying seed at the big box stores that could be your problem as the stuff they sell is generic for all conditions. If you have access to a seed company or a good landscape supplier they can sell you a proper mix for shade conditions.

Other thing that I have had success with grass seeding is to do it in the fall so germinates in the spring, or if I need to do some patching in the summer I put the seed in the freezer for a few days before spreading it. For some reason I think the seed thinks that spring is over and takes better than out of a hot bag.

One other thing that seems to work but I am not sure on the cost is hydro-seeding. People the next street over had it done and their grass now looks great. It looked funny for the first few weeks with the green paper mulch on the dirt but it held the water in and kept the birds from going after the seed. IIRC one of their neighbors told me it took less than 2 hours to spray the yard with the seed and mulch.

Dave's not here ?

Quote Originally Posted by Adnshel View Post
    It could be a lack of good topsoil to grow in.
    The guy accross the street said for 20 years it was a rent house and not one person watered the grasss. I have brought it back some but it still needs improvements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast