Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    OK, I looked at the Spec for your unit. I do not normally deal with Valor however I used to install the Legend G3 and loved the unit.
    Yours is unique because it allows for an adapter from standard coaxial to colinnear venting. The co linnear is usually with an insert (such as the G3) You will most likely not notice the diferance between the 2 vent systems once installed. I would go with the co linnear system (2 3" units) in stainless (just because it lasts longer). Thare is no real benefit to the coaxial vent. BTW you use the words "direct vent" meaning how the units is venting through your house (directly to the outside) but Direct vent is used in the industry to mean a balanced flue system that may only draw air from the same relitive location as the exhaust. just an FYI

Now, ask installer 1 and 2 what they plan to do with the chimney when the run the liner through. If neither of them suggests additional insulation at the top(mininum) and either of them wants to draw air from someplace as opposed to running both liners all the way up drop them or let them know it is expected that they silicone insulate and terminate properly. Silicone should be run betheen the flashing and the masonry at the top. This will help in a high wind situation and also slow drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by khc95 View Post
    HUH??? PLease explain.
    Sorry about my rant. last year one of the contracts I have at a condo community had an old crotchety lady that insisted that the B-vent insert in her unit killed her bird and made her ill. She ranted and raved about CO and insisted that it be taken care of. I was not the installer nor will I ever sell a B vent fireplace or insert to anyone in this type of situation.(i would rather loose the sale). Never sell a bvent to a multi story home or one with a whole house fan.... Anyway, The jist was, she was batty.... screws loose and she was the squeeky wheel. She had at least 6 other old ladies complaining that the fireplace was making them sick... The local gas co and I put in CO detectors in every unit and never got a reading.... not 1ppm of co or ng. Yet she still complained, so I decomissioned her unit and installed an electric. She has since passed but what a character.

by the dv pipe ? I ment can they use the same pipe that they go thru the wall with, ie the dv pipe, and go up the chimney with this pipe instead of paying for ss 3" pipes ?

They were planning to go out thru the wall into the garage with the dv pipe then 90 into the chimney to the adapter and up with 2 3" liners

How long would the aluminum liners last if they were used ?

Quote Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
    by the dv pipe ? I ment can they use the same pipe that they go thru the wall with, ie the dv pipe, and go up the chimney with this pipe instead of paying for ss 3" pipes ?

They were planning to go out thru the wall into the garage with the dv pipe then 90 into the chimney to the adapter and up with 2 3" liners

How long would the aluminum liners last if they were used ?
    OK, I cannot speculate on the life of the aluminum liners because I do not know the acidity leval of your flue ect... I would think no ness than 10 years. Also, I would have no clue as to if the DV pipe will do into and through the chimney. I would say not in a million years but I am not there.

The reasons are because working with a chimney is a blind wall, we cannot work from inside at all and therefor, how can we get a 90 deg fitting into it and then secure a vfertical pipe to it? Imagine it like working in a really deep garbage can with a hole in the bottom on the side. We cant go into the chimney to do the work!
    Also what size flue is it? Measure it at the top and then take in account the additional morter that was squeezed out between the clay liner pieces.
    As an installer, I say let the professionals make the decision for teh best route in this case. You have all the info you need to make sure it is done properly, just let them do the job. If you are concerned about the minnimal charge for the ss liner, wait another year to do it.
    This is as much info i can arm you with. You need to just let the pros do the job they think is right. BTW, have you pulled permits yet? In washington state (where I am at) you need a mechanical and a gas piping permit for this type of job. If you do not get one... you have no room to criticize the installers work down the road. ALWAYS get a PERMIT when in doubt.

I hear ya, if they did use aluminum how would you know when it was rottted thru ? I will have them price me on ss too as again they would only need about 10 ft x 2 so 20ft total.

No permits needed in my area acc to installers ???

Guy number 3 wants to stop back out today ?? Not sure why but im thinking of going with guy #1 anyway

Thanks so much !

Also I just thought with the dv pipe up the chimney they could just make a bigger hole in the chimney in the garage and I could make a plate to cover it, just thinking....

So your feeling is I ould have no problems going colinier with 2 3" pipes right ?

Guy # 3 may be smoking crack ??

Quote Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
    I hear ya, if they did use aluminum how would you know when it was rottted thru ? I will have them price me on ss too as again they would only need about 10 ft x 2 so 20ft total.

No permits needed in my area acc to installers ???

Guy number 3 wants to stop back out today ?? Not sure why but im thinking of going with guy #1 anyway

Thanks so much !

Also I just thought with the dv pipe up the chimney they could just make a bigger hole in the chimney in the garage and I could make a plate to cover it, just thinking....

So your feeling is I ould have no problems going colinier with 2 3" pipes right ?

Guy # 3 may be smoking crack ??
    I just think guy 3 is a cowboy, I always go with manufacturer spec. If there is an issue, they will rectify it. You will know when it fails(may never fail)until the fireplace quits working. Dont be worried about it, just do the ss and put your mind out of it.

BTW, just because you measure out 2 10' sections does not mean he is not charging you for an entire kit. This is the way we have to buy it, it is the way you get charged for it. We sure dont need the extra stuff hanging around.

the inside of the flue measures about 6-5/8" side to side, so it would be bigger corner to corner just not sure how much bigger, math wasnt my subject, lunch was !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123