Is this true?

Thread: Is this true?

Is this true?

A guy from a local HVAC company told me a lot of techs are ex-cons because they can learn HVAC in prison. Is this true or was he blowing smoke? He was bragging that all of his techs were checked out and none were ex-cons.

I know that one of the guys I used to work with, and is still working there is an ex...and still working on conning people daily. In Texas, all employees in the field have to be registered with the State, and go through a background test. How extensive the check is, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    ...................................??

Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    A guy from a local HVAC company told me a lot of techs are ex-cons because they can learn HVAC in prison. Is this true or was he blowing smoke? He was bragging that all of his techs were checked out and none were ex-cons.
    Possibly true. If we are talking about construction workers. When I was younger I knew some ex-cons from doing construction work, it was fairly common. They might have got some training in the pen. This was not HVAC, but just all construction in general. I did plumbing helper, carpentry helper, whatever I could get. Cons do get jobs in construction.

But when you talk service, a criminal record is pretty much a deal-killer for hiring. Residential anyway. Heck, you have to go into people's homes. Often enough they are not even there, key in mail-box or something. I think it depends upon the crime. Say if you were busted for pot at age 19, not really a big deal. But if you have any record of theft something or sex something or violence something, I don't think any responsible business owner would hire that for service. It is a matter of ethics AND liability. Exceptions may be made, given age/circumstances/other.

Sounds like the guy is blowing smoke. And blacking the eye of the industry to promote himself. I don't think I like this fellow, from what you are saying.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

HUH How did you get my picture

Sir I am innocent I tell ya

Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    That shouldn't happen in Texas. If you've got anything more than traffic tickets, the state knows. I believe the legal definition is, crimes of moral turpitude,would prevent you from getting the required paper work,to be registered with the state.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen,but, for the most part, customers do have some peace of mind.

Mostly alcohol-related issues.

This trade can turn a lot of guys into alcoholics for sure.

I doubt that there are enough statistics for anyone to be able to say "a lot".

But since you brought it up, I do work with a convicted felon who did 10 years. And he did learn some HVAC in prison.

One of our guys helps out by checking the HVAC curriculum at a local prison and making sure it is up to date.

I guess it depends on the crime and the person in question.

At least in Oregon HVAC is the #1 trade taught in jail. Most guys get out of jail and start their own companies. The licensing agencies don't run any background checks, they just require that you take a mechanical test to prove you know something about the industry and it's related laws.

Recently we had a company here in Portland where the majority of the employees (including the owner) were registered sex offenders. The company didn't last long after one of the guys raped a young girl and the media got hold of the story.