Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by za
    thanks again for the reply. I dont know the history for that freezer and I guess Im wasting everybodies bandwidth and expert freebies
    I learned so much from these posts but I was still wondering what the possibility of heat introduction from regular concrete as opposed to insulated concrete?
    As far as defrosting I am not sure how often they've done that and I will check

The heat gain will be negligible from the concrete after 24 - 48 hours of box operation with or without insulation under the pad. It will also depend on how thick the pad is. I believe standard thickness is 4” yet I have seen as much as 6” and as little as 2” but they have an insulated floor in their freezer.

Your ground temp in VA should not create a problem either. I believe what we are talking about is concrete heave as the ground water freezes under the slab. After years of operation as a freezer, if you don’t have lifting cracks in your floor, your floor is probably insulated. If your floor is crumbling under the weight of the lift, then you have water infiltration causing the top porous layers to crack up. That would be why it was painted with epoxy paint. To seal out any top moisture.

Also, when compressors on freezers start going bad the thing becomes a cooler.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    Also, when compressors on freezers start going bad the thing becomes a cooler.
    Profound!!!

if existing floor is not insulated, then this is a cooler converted to be used as a freezer. If that is the case, there is very litle you can do to fix it. (other than waste money on band aids)As for an un insultard floor in a freezer - IT WILL BUCKLE AND CRACK.

You need to get a good contractor to analyze, size and determine if new equip is required and do this right.

Remember, repeatedly doing something cheaply is very expensive. One expensive good job is a lot cheaper than many, many cheap attempts to do it wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12