Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 74
  1. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,093
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    Seriously, you guys have no idea. I have been wrong before since I thought for sure as the heat hit the major cities the unemployeed and about to be unemployeed would hit the streets and there would be majoy police actions. None of that happened, I'm glad to say.

    But I think it's because the stress in this present day world is hidden inside the homes and rentals of all the people who never saw this coming, can't see it coming and are going numb to what is happening in their lives.

    Riots before were done by frustrated inner city people feed up with being left out of the American Dream.

    These new folks in disperation find themselve in a survival situation that they are sorely equipped to deal with, especially when they see their neighbors buy a new car.

    This winter is going to be a long hard one, I think. I hope I'm wrong again.
    It could be you are correct, just off on your time-line. Cities[some select] have it worse than the rest of the nation. Not to mention any specific place or group, but there are those that tend to feel disenfranchised and might erupt. Pardon repeating myself for clarity but: bad Christmas season '10 + new taxes in '11 = more unemployment.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  2. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,093
    Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    I think something is going to happen,some kind of catalist to start the ball rolling.Maybe a tax cut or some hiring plan. Too much pressure is now being put on the Whitehouse from many places. OB will have to rethink some of his plans,and soon.I hope so i bought stocks today.
    That would require a pretty dramatic reversal. Seriously, Obama is hard-set on no tax breaks and there is no job-plan beyond more stimulus, which probably has the credibility of the Edsel by now.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  3. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    But would not a tax break be a stimulus program by another name? Basically it is the government getting further in debt to artificially create growth. Kind of what got us in this mess to begin with.

  4. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,093
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    But would not a tax break be a stimulus program by another name? Basically it is the government getting further in debt to artificially create growth. Kind of what got us in this mess to begin with.
    No, a tax break is taking less of my money. Whereas stimulus is giving me someone else's money.

    That would be a correct theoretical answer.

    Real world application is a little different: Tax break is taking less of my money. Whereas stimulus is giving my tax money to some one else.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  5. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    No, a tax break is taking less of my money. Whereas stimulus is giving me someone else's money.

    That would be a correct theoretical answer.

    Real world application is a little different: Tax break is taking less of my money. Whereas stimulus is giving my tax money to some one else.
    You are making ten dollars an hour. You have ten dollars an hour of expenses to live (rent, food, phone...).

    Now you are asked to live on eight dollars an hour so your employer can make more profit to blow on fast cars. In effect he want you to subsidize his lifestyle.


    Now let us say rather than making ten dollars an hour you were making nine dollars an hour and still had ten dollars an hour worth of expenses. You are slowly going under in debt but you say there is a bright side to this. By helping out your employer his business can regain its health and you will be insured a job. The nine dollars an hour is only temporary until your employer gets his business affairs in order.

    Well now the employer wants to make the nine dollars you are working for permanent being as he got used to it and up till now you did not seem to mind. If they become permanent you will go further in debt and your employer will be able to spend more on the next toy that comes around, go out more for dinner entertaining friends, basically having a good time.


    Do you see a parallel here?

  6. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Home&Marine View Post
    Al Franken
    Al Gore
    Al Sharpton
    Barack Obama
    Bill Clinton
    Helen Thomas
    Henry Waxman
    Hillary Clinton
    Howard Dean
    Joe Biden
    John Edwards
    John Kerry
    Michael Moore
    Ted Kennedy
    Ward Churchill

    Which ones you like? I don't like a Darn one of them.
    I like Ted Kennedy.......now.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  7. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,944
    Hopefully the Congressional election will give American's enough real hope to get us to start pulling ourselves out of this mess we are in. I am glad I was in a position to buy the house I just bought when mortgages are so low. Many Americans who can buy now are not because they feel that things will go even lower. My primary reason for buying now though was my wife said she wanted it and it is easier to just say "yes dear" when the alternative could be a gamble.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  8. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,093
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    You are making ten dollars an hour. You have ten dollars an hour of expenses to live (rent, food, phone...).

    Now you are asked to live on eight dollars an hour so your employer can make more profit to blow on fast cars. In effect he want you to subsidize his lifestyle.


    Now let us say rather than making ten dollars an hour you were making nine dollars an hour and still had ten dollars an hour worth of expenses. You are slowly going under in debt but you say there is a bright side to this. By helping out your employer his business can regain its health and you will be insured a job. The nine dollars an hour is only temporary until your employer gets his business affairs in order.

    Well now the employer wants to make the nine dollars you are working for permanent being as he got used to it and up till now you did not seem to mind. If they become permanent you will go further in debt and your employer will be able to spend more on the next toy that comes around, go out more for dinner entertaining friends, basically having a good time.


    Do you see a parallel here?
    No. The employer has customers too. Take my example: For whatever pittance I make, my main customer is being hurt by tax increases among other things. They have millions. I don't want them taxed more. They have already contracted a bit in this economy. So did I. And I pretty well gave my usual helper the boot, because I just don't have the money.

    It is much more dynamic, than just pitting employee against employer. If I understood your point correct. My customer is not really blowing money on fast cars and such, operationally, they are just fluctuating business size as is normal for a multi-million dollar corporation. And I am not jerking around the guy who works for me for my personal extravagance. I honestly just don't have the work there. I used to fill time with 'shop-work' stuff at my loss, but I cannot even do that anymore. Raise my taxes, expect even less.

    It has been debated that 'trickle-up economics' works. Okay. But it is absolutely proven that 'trickle down poverty' works. I can see it with my own eyes.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  9. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,223
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I like Ted Kennedy.......now.
    You are in fine form today.

    I wonder which way Reagan is "receiving" his just rewards from Satan today. Gives a whole new meaning to take one for the Gipper.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  10. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,944
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    You are in fine form today.

    I wonder which way Reagan is "receiving" it from Satan today.
    Has no effect on me, but probably a back rub.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  11. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,223
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Has no effect on me, but probably a back rub.
    You are probably right, because he did his work so well.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  12. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,944
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    You are probably right, because he did his work so well.
    Not for us to judge. What exactly did this have to do with the conversation of this thread?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  13. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,223
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Not for us to judge. What exactly did this have to do with the conversation of this thread?
    ADDRESSING YOUR NASTY COMMENT ON KENNEDY!
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event