It's the Economy, Stupid!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 74
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,915

    It's the Economy, Stupid!

    I don't know about everyone else, but I have had about enough of Obamanomics. I HOPE we can CHANGE it back like it was before.

    Record unemployment.
    Record foreclosures.
    Record bankruptcies.
    Record deficit.
    Record debt.

    There is no good economic news. None! Looks like everything is in the toilet! I honestly thought this recession [become depression] would be over by now in spite of Obama. Not so, he has managed, with help of democrat majorities, to drag us through the mud forever. Can we eventually be starving? YES WE CAN! Can we get poorer by the day? YES WE CAN! Can we break more bad economic disaster records? YES WE CAN! These questions are not important, the important question is, "can we please get these democrat idiots out of power before they ruin us altogether?" Seriously we cannot take another 2 years of this, we are going down too fast. Things need to turn around pretty soon or we are going to end up in the dust-bin of history. I am not offering a political platform to solve our problems, and I am not sure the republicans are either, but the democrats have almost ruined us already. They have to go. We cannot take much more of this.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    159
    hmm I like the democrats good people.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I don't know about everyone else, but I have had about enough of Obamanomics. I HOPE we can CHANGE it back like it was before.

    Record unemployment.
    Record foreclosures.
    Record bankruptcies.
    Record deficit.
    Record debt.

    There is no good economic news. None! Looks like everything is in the toilet! I honestly thought this recession [become depression] would be over by now in spite of Obama. Not so, he has managed, with help of democrat majorities, to drag us through the mud forever. Can we eventually be starving? YES WE CAN! Can we get poorer by the day? YES WE CAN! Can we break more bad economic disaster records? YES WE CAN! These questions are not important, the important question is, "can we please get these democrat idiots out of power before they ruin us altogether?" Seriously we cannot take another 2 years of this, we are going down too fast. Things need to turn around pretty soon or we are going to end up in the dust-bin of history. I am not offering a political platform to solve our problems, and I am not sure the republicans are either, but the democrats have almost ruined us already. They have to go. We cannot take much more of this.
    Actually it was the gutting of the economy in the previous ten years that is the result of this long drawn out downturn. The only reason it was not noticed as much as it should have been was due to the housing bubble that drove the economy. Now that it is gone the real state of the country is laid bare.

    You can not produce wealth unless you make things. And the people making things are the Chinese. The government can not produce jobs (unless you want a communist type of state) it is up to private capital. And they do not see any profit in producing goods in the US, therefor no jobs.

    The housing bubble created economic activity but it was used to suck what little wealth was left out of the hands of the ordinary people (Generally speaking, some of us were more financially conservative, the one's that believed the hype and embraced debt are now hurting).

    While OB is not helping much to get things going he is not the underlying cause. It is a worm chewed out economic structure that is the cause. And that will take many years and pain to fix.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    17,772
    Im keeping my guns, freedom, and money....you can keep the change!
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

    - General George S. Patton

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    4,355
    November is coming soon. Some of these numbers have to improve. Where is the sense of urgency in the Democratic Party? Borrow, print, and down the rat hole.....that seems to be the Dems platform. How is that working out for us?
    "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better"
    -Pat Riley

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Yo.... Here!, I'm right here..
    Posts
    6,236
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Im keeping my guns, freedom, and money....you can keep the change!
    Word up on that Whip

    I'm with ya brother....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dothan, Al
    Posts
    3,453
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Actually it was the gutting of the economy in the previous ten years that is the result of this long drawn out downturn. The only reason it was not noticed as much as it should have been was due to the housing bubble that drove the economy. Now that it is gone the real state of the country is laid bare.
    You can not produce wealth unless you make things. And the people making things are the Chinese. The government can not produce jobs (unless you want a communist type of state) it is up to private capital. And they do not see any profit in producing goods in the US, therefor no jobs.
    The housing bubble created economic activity but it was used to suck what little wealth was left out of the hands of the ordinary people (Generally speaking, some of us were more financially conservative, the one's that believed the hype and embraced debt are now hurting).
    While OB is not helping much to get things going he is not the underlying cause. It is a worm chewed out economic structure that is the cause. And that will take many years and pain to fix.
    Printer:
    I understand that the basic problem was a result of years & was not Obamas.
    However, are you saying that you would have preferred to bail out all those companies, increasing the size & scope of the government, adding MORE taxes , including healthcare:

    Were these actions, by Obama &the Dems better than say:
    Reducing governmental expeditures ( not increasing them ).
    Giving the money back to the people who could then spend the money & generate economic growth.
    Reducing NAFTA, so jobs & manufactureing ( which I agree with you as being a major problem to growth & jobs ) can return to the US ??

    Richard
    Lets get H.I.G.H. http://www.theletsgethigh.com
    Honesty, Integrity, Gallantry, Honor

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,915
    Quote Originally Posted by whec720 View Post
    November is coming soon. Some of these numbers have to improve. Where is the sense of urgency in the Democratic Party? Borrow, print, and down the rat hole.....that seems to be the Dems platform. How is that working out for us?
    That is right on line with what I am thinking Whec. At this point, I am not trying to blame anybody for the "housing bubble" or "chinese imports". All of that has it's valid place and it dates back easily into the 1980's and I think even the 70's. But recessions generally end in 18 months, not this one. And if it doesn't end,.. well Okay but why did Obama spend all of the trillions promising to make everything better? He really did not do anything to help, just spent trillions to put us in debt on top of all our other problems.

    I am just going off of the headline news. Mainly Drudge, and then some other stuff from memory.

    $44,000 debt per citizen. WOW! I figure that's gonna be about 88,000 per taxpayer. HOLY COW! I hope they are going to put this on "the payment plan".

    We still have record foreclosures. Okay, stuff happens. But Obama/dems spent another 75 billion for "program" that has apparently failed. Half of applicants for assistance are off the program now. http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1 There are a lot of bad #s buried in that article. Doom and gloom report. So many people loosing homes. And the housing market does not look to be in recovery either, folks cannot sell. What, throw another 75 billion at it?

    The thing that really chaps me is the unemployment, and Obama threatened unemployment may hit 8% unless we let him spend hundreds of billion to stimulate the economy. He needs to stimulate his brain-stem. We are WAY past 8% and recent news doesn't seem to indicate things are getting better.

    This thing should have been over by now, granted some lingering issues. So much for the "recovery summer". And Obama/dems are actually causing the recovery to fail indirectly with the creation of instability. Fear of what may be next. That is affecting the business community more than individuals, but it causing folks to stagnate/wait-and-see/hold-off. It is uncertainties over policies like obamacare, raising income taxes next year, VAT, energy-tax, and who knows what else the morons have in the works. The economy does not like uncertainty. The economy likes stability. Or speaking with a pun intended:

    THE ECONOMY DOES NOT LIKE CHANGE.



    .
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by bornriding View Post
    Printer:
    I understand that the basic problem was a result of years & was not Obamas.
    However, are you saying that you would have preferred to bail out all those companies, increasing the size & scope of the government, adding MORE taxes , including healthcare:

    Were these actions, by Obama &the Dems better than say:
    Reducing governmental expeditures ( not increasing them ).
    Giving the money back to the people who could then spend the money & generate economic growth.
    Reducing NAFTA, so jobs & manufactureing ( which I agree with you as being a major problem to growth & jobs ) can return to the US ??

    Richard
    Nope, said before I thought the health care issue could wait but since they went ahead and did it anyway you would have thought they would build in some savings, just did not happen.

    The company bailouts, said I was not for them but understand why they were done. There was a possibility that the world economy (and it was the world not an isolated American issue) was going to spiral out of control on a downward path. Nobody knew where the bottom was, we could have ended up with a generation where we are mired in job losses.

    The only good outcome of a severe crash would be that we would be returning to a clean slate and any recovery would be real. But then being in my 50's and thinking about my retirement years, the thought of all that I have invested evaporating was not a pleasant thought.

    So the governments of the world pumped money back into the monetary system to present some stability. As said the economy does not like change.

    Basically we have traded short term pain (mind you that short term could have been ten years or longer) for a long term numb feeling. Lets face it things are not great but they are not as bad as they could be. The problem is that everybody forgets how bad it can be. Why do you think our parents put money in tin boxes rather than in the bank?

    Giving money back to the people to spend? That is exactly what we do not need. Free money. Does nothing to get us out of the hole we are in, just puts off the recogning for another day. Basically what was done to get us in the mess we are in now. How would that help for the long term health of the economy? Basically we have to reduce our standard of living and save like our parents (or their parents) did in the 30's, 40's, and 50's.

    The jobs will not come back till we reduce our standard of living more in line with the Chinese and Indians. And we will not accept that. We are a high cost society. We pretty much will stumble along until the Chinese and the like raise their standard of living to the point where they approach ours. The good thing is they are doing it rapidly and they may be here in a generation.

    The bad thing is that at that point there will be too many vying for the same resources. Guess who is the biggest buyer of resources since the downturn. The Chinese. Imagine if we really let the markets go into free fall two years ago and they ended up buying everything at fire sale prices. Probably the biggest reason we had the bail out, to stop that from happening.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    This thing should have been over by now, granted some lingering issues. So much for the "recovery summer". And Obama/dems are actually causing the recovery to fail indirectly with the creation of instability. Fear of what may be next. That is affecting the business community more than individuals, but it causing folks to stagnate/wait-and-see/hold-off. It is uncertainties over policies like obamacare, raising income taxes next year, VAT, energy-tax, and who knows what else the morons have in the works. The economy does not like uncertainty. The economy likes stability. Or speaking with a pun intended:

    THE ECONOMY DOES NOT LIKE CHANGE.



    .
    And that is where I disagree. The thing should not have been over by now. This was not just some correction. Basically a shell game was being played and when we looked under all the shells there was no pea.

    I agree that OB has not helped things get better but I think business will not invest if they think they can not make a buck off of the general public. The problem is that they know the general public is broke. They know that we have hit our credit limit and that any gains will be small. That will be the norm for some time, and most business is used to a richer ocean to trawl in. The problem is they fulfill the prophecy by not investing in growth.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    S.C.
    Posts
    1,352

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage16 View Post
    hmm I like the democrats good people.
    Al Franken
    Al Gore
    Al Sharpton
    Barack Obama
    Bill Clinton
    Helen Thomas
    Henry Waxman
    Hillary Clinton
    Howard Dean
    Joe Biden
    John Edwards
    John Kerry
    Michael Moore
    Ted Kennedy
    Ward Churchill

    Which ones you like? I don't like a Darn one of them.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,915
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    And that is where I disagree. The thing should not have been over by now. This was not just some correction. Basically a shell game was being played and when we looked under all the shells there was no pea.

    I agree that OB has not helped things get better but I think business will not invest if they think they can not make a buck off of the general public. The problem is that they know the general public is broke. They know that we have hit our credit limit and that any gains will be small. That will be the norm for some time, and most business is used to a richer ocean to trawl in. The problem is they fulfill the prophecy by not investing in growth.
    I like your input into the thread Printer, you make some smart points. I think I generally agree that we have a problem with debt and extravagance as a public. This is reflected in the government goons and magnified x10.

    I think the recession should be over by now, but I would qualify that opinion with "lingering effects" or "on-going issues" to some unknown degree. I think the whole event should be a wake-up call to the big spenders with the McMansions and new cars. So I never really meant that things should be "back to as it was before". Obviously there were problems then that helped cause our current situation.

    Some of the stimulus was related to credit issues, I guess like a cash-flow problem? I don't denounce every aspect of the stimulus. But most of it was just money pissedaway as far as anyone can tell. That is all water under the bridge now. Now the obamadems have more great ideas in the works, they need to be be stopped before they destroy us completely.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Home&Marine View Post
    Al Franken
    Al Gore
    Al Sharpton
    Barack Obama
    Bill Clinton
    Helen Thomas
    Henry Waxman
    Hillary Clinton
    Howard Dean
    Joe Biden
    John Edwards
    John Kerry
    Michael Moore
    Ted Kennedy
    Ward Churchill

    Which ones you like? I don't like a Darn one of them.
    You are from South Carolina so no democrat out of SC cares. You basically get to pick the republican nominee so enjoy that. I can't wait to see who you pick in 2012.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event