Starting School
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Starting School

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wichita Fall, Tx
    Posts
    70

    Starting School

    Just wanted to give shout out! (Hello!)
    I'm starting school Monday and I'm a bit nervous being 41 and starting over...
    It funny how thing happen, I had a capacitor go out today and thank god it was still under warranty. Hoping this education pays off.
    Anyway, go easy on me if I ask to many question and I'll do all the reading before I ask!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Connectitaxed
    Posts
    2,644
    Welcome and good luck in school. Being 41 has nothing to do with how well you can be in this field. Do you have an idea of what area you will be going into after school?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    159
    What kind of school are you attending?

    What are you pursuing degree or certificate?

    What is your study?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wichita Fall, Tx
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage16 View Post
    What kind of school are you attending?

    What are you pursuing degree or certificate?

    What is your study?
    I'm starting Vernon College here in Wichita Falls, TX. I've decided to go with 12hr this first semester and if my wife can keep us afloat, I'll load down this next Spring and Summer and hope to finish with A.A.S Degree.
    That's if my college Hrs from my parting years will transfer.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by WFL-TX View Post
    I'm starting Vernon College here in Wichita Falls, TX. I've decided to go with 12hr this first semester and if my wife can keep us afloat, I'll load down this next Spring and Summer and hope to finish with A.A.S Degree.
    That's if my college Hrs from my parting years will transfer.
    Not to be the bearer of bad news but I took 18 credit hours average GPA of 3.46 a semester to get a degree in HVAC, is that what your trying to get into? but after grad I put resume' and app. in everywhere and was turned down constantly, I dont know if your pro union or not and I dont know of to many apprenticeships that are non, but I figured at that point my options were go back to school, or go to the union and take their apprenticeship, but hopefully for your sake by the time you graduate the economy will be recovering nicely. Best of luck and dont rule out apprenticeships

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wichita Fall, Tx
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage16 View Post
    Not to be the bearer of bad news but I took 18 credit hours average GPA of 3.46 a semester to get a degree in HVAC, is that what your trying to get into? but after grad I put resume' and app. in everywhere and was turned down constantly, I dont know if your pro union or not and I dont know of to many apprenticeships that are non, but I figured at that point my options were go back to school, or go to the union and take their apprenticeship, but hopefully for your sake by the time you graduate the economy will be recovering nicely. Best of luck and dont rule out apprenticeships
    I was going to throw in a microcomputer course but got scared I might get in over my head. But if all goes well I'll go with 18hrs next semester.
    And right now I'm with local 745 their more into the Trucking side of things. I'll call and see what they can do.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wichita Fall, Tx
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    Welcome and good luck in school. Being 41 has nothing to do with how well you can be in this field. Do you have an idea of what area you will be going into after school?
    I've worked in the Trucking Industry(UPS) most of my adult life. So working on reefer units or just refrigeration interested me. But after talking to some of the service techs in the residential field makes me wonder if I'd like it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hendersonville,NC
    Posts
    84
    welcome to the forum. I'm 42 and just started my 2nd semester this week. From what I have seen and read its a challenging field but wide open to possibilities. Just make sure to ask about anything you don't understand. Hopefully you will have an instructor like mine who will take the time to show you the right way to do things.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wichita Fall, Tx
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpogo View Post
    welcome to the forum. I'm 42 and just started my 2nd semester this week. From what I have seen and read its a challenging field but wide open to possibilities. Just make sure to ask about anything you don't understand. Hopefully you will have an instructor like mine who will take the time to show you the right way to do things.
    I assumed there had to be others in my age bracket just getting into the field.
    The good part is I'm still in good shape, minus the newly acquired beer belly(a.k.a)Gut from being laid-off has caused. Good luck in your second semester and hope you don't mind a few questions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hendersonville,NC
    Posts
    84
    There are several of us 40 somethings in my class. A few have been on the new install side of things for years, but with the economy in the crapper like it is around here new install jobs have dried up for the most part. The way I figgure it by the time I get out of school the economy will be on a better footing and work will be a bit more plentiful. Im kinda like you in the fact I have put on a few pounds mostly from not working 10 and 12 hour days and being laid off and on for the past year and a half. I used to build heavy equipment which is hard demanding work but it does keep you in shape. Thank you for the kind words I had a pretty light class load last semester just because of when I started school. I diddnt have enough of the pre reqs to take some of the more advanced classes they offered so I only went to school 4 days. 2 of those were in the hvac side and 2 were a refresher math class I had to take due to scoring low on the placement test, but it did help me get up to speed. I don't mind answering questions and if I don't know I'll help you find out just my nature so to speak anyway good luck with school and keep in touch

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,828
    good luck!
    welcome to hvactalk
    welcome to hvac

    old gruppy

    frank
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event