Thread: Trane RTU's

Post Likes

Hmm

Here is a question I think has been asked many times, but not in such a way to get an informed answer.

Let me set it up with at little background...

I worked for a school district which standardized on Lennox equipment. One of the campuses had Lennox L Series Commercial RTU's. These RTU's were, of course, state-of-the-art with circuit boards and such...similar to Trane's Voyager RTU. With the Lennox RTU, I could connect directly to the main control board with my laptop, via a RS 232 cable, and use my Lennox software to completely control every aspect of that RTU for diagnostic purposes. If I wanted only condenser fan 3 to come on, I could turn on cond. fan 3. If I wanted compressor 4 to come on with no blower and no condensor fans, I could do that. If I wanted to test the safeties of the gas heat, I could fire up the furnace with no blower and so on and so forth. I could even target specific sensors to verify they were working or to calibrate them if they were off.

Having said all that, my current employer has standardized on Trane and I now have Trane RTU's of course. Is there software, cables, hardware, anything available that would give me the ability to attach my laptop directly to the Voyager's UCP which would give me the diagnostic flexibilty and control over the Voyager which I experienced with the Lennox L Series? I suspect the answer to that is NO, but let me give all you gadget freaks and techno wizards, or is it gadget wizards and techo freaks, a chance to answer. Oh yeah, and you Trane guru's please feel free to pipe in also!!

Def. of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results!!

Post Likes
    Trane has a test mode feature that is done by shorting the test mode terminals, this will stage the unit thru all stages.

Post Likes
    Just be careful to take the unit out of test mode when you're finished,otherwise it will just stay where you left it.
    Don't let your ego get in the way of a good decision

Post Likes
    Thanks for the response...I know all about the test mode, and use it. That is very limited unless you have an asortment of resistors.
    Def. of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mdp
    Just be careful to take the unit out of test mode when you're finished,otherwise it will just stay where you left it.
    Exits test mode after one hour.

Annapolis, MD: ragboat capitol of the world
    Post Likes
    Originally posted by ts ac tech
    I know all about the test mode, and use it. That is very limited unless you have an asortment of resistors.
    The Voyager system is something like 20 years old and can't do all the tricks the newer Lennox boards can. Since you are talking about using resistors, you aren't actually using the Voyager's "test" mode.

Using a resistor simulates the signal from a Trane BAYSENS type thermostat. Jumping the 2 "test" terminals at the top of the low voltage strip puts it in the test mode where it will step thru each mode for a predetermined time. By removing the jumper while in a particular step it will stay in that step for an hour. You can also move thru the steps faster by removing and reapplying the jumper instead of waiting for it to cycle thru all the steps.
    Sam

Know-it-all? Nope, not even half!

Post Likes
    You can place different resistors across the test terminals to take the unit directly to a particular test mode. No need to step through the other modes as you described.

Here, read this book: http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=45762. Test mode and the different ways to get there are described in the first book.

Annapolis, MD: ragboat capitol of the world
    Post Likes
    Thanks. I just thought ac tech was saying the ONLY way to run the test mode was to use the resistors. Using the resistors you can go directly to the mode you want, but you don't need them if you don't have them with you.
    Sam

Know-it-all? Nope, not even half!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in