+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do 2 speed compressors work??

Post Likes
    Originally posted by beenthere
    Originally posted by dash
    hugodrax,

I would recomend you get a good 4' pleated filter from your installer,instead.

I never saw a 4 foot pleated filter.LOL...
    I have seen one 4' deep in dirt. Lol!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Originally posted by mrbillpro
    hugodrax,

Yeah, 4 foot of dirt,that must be it!LOL

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mrbillpro
    hugodrax,

Yeah, 4 foot of dirt,that must be it!LOL
    See, i can read without my glasses, sometimes.

Post Likes

Re: Re: Two speed compressor

Originally posted by mark beiser
    Originally posted by mrcoolz4u
    Generally when a two speed motor starts up, both winding are energized then falls back to the selected winding speed.
    Actually, only the windings for the desired speed are energized. If you were to apply power to more than one of the speed taps in the motor, it would burn out the motor windings.

for example Most compressors carry two winding the start winding and the run winding. At start up both winding are energized then the start winding is taken out of the circuit leaving the run winding in the circuit.
    I don't know of any compressors that drop the start winding out after startup. If it has a start kit, it will drop the start capacitor out, but the start winding will still be energized and have a run capacitor.
    There are some fan motors out there that drop the start winding out after startup, but they are rare. The last one I saw was about 5 years ago on a very old 7.5 ton Westinghouse condensor with a belt driven condensor fan. A centrifical switch dropped the start winding out after it got up to speed.

At start up the amp draw is higher because both winding is drawing current. so more current is being used.

this application applies generally to all multispeed motors.
    The amperage is higher at startup because the motor is pulling lock rotor amps. When induction motors start up, the amperage starts very high and goes down as it gets up to speed. It has nothing to do with how many windings are energized. Unless it is a part winding start motor, fairly rare, power is being applied to the same inputs when it is running as when it is starting...

this happens with the 3 and 4 speed motors as well. Compressors and fan motors

it starts at high speed then goes back to the selected speed.
    Again, power is applied to only one speed tap at a time or bad things happen. Some higher horsepower motors used in big applications have some interesting sequences of operation, but fractional horsepower motors are started on the same speed tap/winding they are run on.
    Thank you Mr mark for the correction and my appologies to anyone for posting the wrong info

hugodrax Guest

Infinity

When the house was open to the humidity and reached outdoor humid temps the unit ramped up to a super highspeed mode 1600CFM then once it got closer and closer it dropped. Now most of the time it is in stealth mode and on some occasions it kicks a midspeed mode. What is weird is having a cool house but not hearing the system Also I notice that temperatures stay very consistent. Even though the system is rated 15 SEER (4ton) I suspect my savings will be higher than due to this thing running slow. I notice the outdoor meter running slowly VS real fast using the old unit which was 3 tons.

I read these new multispeed systems record the cycles and optimize them for better efficiency, Pretty interesting technology overall.

Post Likes
    I knew you would be happy.... Another satisfied customer. Enjoy your investment!

Hey, now does your wife understand your excitement?
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Originally posted by plain spoken
    I knew you would be happy.... Another satisfied customer. Enjoy your investment!

Plain,

Here we find, every customer,installer and tech,seems to love the Infinity.Oh,salesmen ,too!How about where you are?

Post Likes
    Nothing but Raves about it. I have not heard one complaint, even from the "more seasoned generation" that normally can not work a programmable stat. It is the absolute best system I have ever seen.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

hugodrax Guest
    Originally posted by plain spoken

hehe no she chuckles A guy thing , I finally got her to go outside and check out the unit. I do notice a major difference in comfort with this system VS my old system or even other homes with Central AC. Best thing since salt on nuts hehe. People have asked me about the unit

The Unit looks heavy duty like a porcelain paint nice industrial design. Gave it a Wax with Zymol, Takes on a real good shine,feels silky smooth and water beads right off

10. Dislikes tempguy disliked this post.
    Post Likes

Thumbs up

Just finished installing two infinity units out here in Palm Desert. That's right next to Palm Springs, in a all electric development. The place was built in 1973 and had the original electric FAU's. And the A. C. unit's were just old. It was a corporate house, and I guess they didn't use it much in the summer. The Doctor that bought the place was renovating, and he started with the heating and air. The infinity's were a easy sale. One 3 ton and one 4 ton. Lined under the return air compartment with lined insulation board. And ordered custom FRAG's for pleated filters. My house is only four years old, but I know what I'm replacing the A. C. units with when they go. These units running 24/7 for five months a year, you are lucky to get eight years out of them. Those infinitys sure are nice.

Post Likes

Post Likes

Re: Two speed compressor

Originally posted by mrcoolz4u
    Generally when a two speed motor starts up, both winding are energized then falls back to the selected winding speed.

for example Most compressors carry two winding the start winding and the run winding. At start up both winding are energized then the start winding is taken out of the circuit leaving the run winding in the circuit.

At start up the amp draw is higher because both winding is drawing current. so more current is being used.

this application applies generally to all multispeed motors.

this happens with the 3 and 4 speed motors as well. Compressors and fan motors

it starts at high speed then goes back to the selected speed.
    Motor speeds Induction motors-start-are made for use on 25,50 or 60 cycles (Hz) current.The speed of a motor depends on the cycles (Hz) and number of field poles.Motor speeds are calculated from the synchronous speed. Synchronous speed is related to rotating magnetic fields. (The Field advances one pole for every 1/2 cycle of current.)If the rotor can keep up with the rotating field,the motor runs at synchronous speed.for two-and four pole motors is. Motor speed-RPM 2 pole 60 Hz SYN.3600 OP.3450 50 Hz SYN.3000 OP.2850 25 Hz SYN.1500 OP.1450 Most motors have a running winding and a starting winding.These windings are mounted on the stator. During starting,current goes through both windings when the motor reaches 60 to 75 percent of its running speed,the starting winding circuit is opened and the motor operates on running windings only.I hope this info. has been helpful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in