+ Reply to Thread

Thread: funny stories

Post Likes

Hmm

Rocket-
    That is my story...approx. mid 70's when the US Air Force Base in Litchfield, Ariz called in for a 30 ton expansion valve. As a parts wholesaler I see this big rig with a boom pull up infront of store. A young GI comes in and says he is to pick up this 30 ton piece of equipment. I pull out the expansion valve from under the counter and say, "Here you go". To this day I still get comments from the techs at the air force base, the story has made the rounds.

Post Likes

Pretty Good!

But if you think about it that is the way our beloved armed forces work.

They never go in for a fair fight... the go in to win!

Your boy was prepaired!

Post Likes
    Hi R12,

Welcome to the community.
    Not enough ladies here.

Since you work behind the counter... you have a different point of view on this industry.

Maybe you would consider starting a thread in the general section and entitle it something like; Parts 101.

A lot of guys here are old hats to knowing exactly what you want and need when we come in requesting parts.

But for the benefit of the new blood we have, perhaps you will share some secrets to sucessful parts buying.

And dont leave out the part about the guys needing to demonstrate courtesy when they buy.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by r12alady
    Rocket-
    That is my story...approx. mid 70's when the US Air Force Base in Litchfield, Ariz called in for a 30 ton expansion valve. As a parts wholesaler I see this big rig with a boom pull up infront of store. A young GI comes in and says he is to pick up this 30 ton piece of equipment. I pull out the expansion valve from under the counter and say, "Here you go". To this day I still get comments from the techs at the air force base, the story has made the rounds.
    Similar story.................

Building a new grocery store about 12 years ago. 2 racks with a 2 circuit evap condenser to be mounted on the roof. Total tonage for the tower was about 300 tons. I called the office to have them schedule a crane for the lift on the day that the condenser was to arrive. Well the construction manager tells the crane company the lift dimensions and that the piece being lifted is a 300 ton evap condenser.

Soooooo...............
    On the day of the lift we had a crane that arrived in three trucks and an army of oilers and riggers to set it up for the big 300 ton lift. We all knew it was overkill, but noone made the call to the office. It was quite a sight seeing that huge crane lifting that tiny tower to the roof. We laughed for days about that one and every time we called for a crane after that we made sure to remind the construction manager to give the equipment weight and not the general description.

Post Likes
    So very true...

When I call I make myself say XXXXXXX BTU unit. When the lift company says.... huh? I give them the approx weight, height and stretch.

After years of calling the same crane company they ask me how many BTU's. Ya think they sent overkill to a job too?

Post Likes
    Thank you R12rules,
    I have been in this industry for many years and as a women it was a tough job at times. I have heard all kinds of parts called all kinds of things. The one that I still don't know to this day is: I want a reducer. A reducing coupling or a bushing???
    Sometimes on the other side of the counter from you guys in the field it is a long list of questions and answers so you can get the parts you really need. I have had techs call suction accumulators...driers, receivers. A king valve???
    One of the best was: I need a compressor....Ok which one?
    A little black one....Ok I have a warehouse full of little black compressors. Do you have a model? No...But it is about this high.
    That fellow is now in business for himself, sometimes it just takes time.

Post Likes
    There's nothing quite like the look on a counter person's face when you show up at four thirty and start replentishing your inventory.

"Hey .. do we have any of these?" "No .. maybe a few of those also!"
    And then at five oh two PM.... you drop two handsfull of assorted copper fittings on the counter and start looking around for more stuff to add to the pile.

Without great counter people, our industry would grind to a halt in a minute!

Post Likes

Wink Or returns,,,,,

I receive nearly all of my parts and supplies by delivery, so about every three months, I load all of the "wrong" stuff and warranty returns, into the rig and head for the big city. I come packing an armload of items through the door, and you see the deer in the headlights look come on the face of every counter person there. The best person that I deal with is a lady at a very popular refer supply house. She is patient, precise, and has been there long enough to know their product line. She always goes out of her way to assist me and is a real pleasure to deal with. Yvonne, you're one great counterperson.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    I had a customer order a sporlan filter drier. when the person from the warehouse came to pick it up, they brought the biggest pick up truck they had cause they thought they were pickin up a clothes dryer. when I gave them the box, they were like. is that all? I was yep that's it. I never had someone come with a boom truck to get a txv. that is a real good story. I have heard the black compressor one a few times.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in