ptac's freezing up!

Hi all! Im new here and new to the world of ptac's. I'm in my 4th month as the maintenance coordinator at a Sunrise assisted living facility and so far the biggest challenge has been these freakin ptac's freezing or over-flowing on the carpet

I have gotten pretty good at changing out the control boards but there are some units that want to frost over or ice up. I'm just wondering what would be the cause nd if it is worth trying to fix being that they are a 'sealed' unit

any advise would be appreciated!

thanks!!

Crappy dirty air, filters and evap coils would be my guess
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Since you're a maintenance coordinator, I would coordinate with a reputable local HVAC company to coordinate your maintenance..........

It's ok if you want to change filters and circuit boards, but if you want to avoid totally effing something up, it's nice to have a professional in your corner.

Just sayin.........

if the filters were found matted with dust...the dust would then of moved onto the rounds of the squirrels cages ..so if they collect dust they don't catch the air as good as when clean...putting stuff on top of the PTACs if they have cabinets over them anything over the returns on the floors curtains beds dressers.anything blocking the return will cauase ice ups....
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

We do open sistems and put valves, piercing valve,saddle valve or just regular valves. Somethimes just suction side,its easy,just be carefull with brazing not to plug lines cause they are so small. check filters, blovers airmovement the basics ,remember basics. make shure unit is corectly sitting in wall sleave ,some older units like climatemasters have drain pan above two blovers hiden behind cover whit two screws holding it, it have a hose taking water behind and below outside fan, make shure that drain hose is not plugged.

Quote Originally Posted by ttarter View Post
    Hi all! Im new here and new to the world of ptac's. I'm in my 4th month as the maintenance coordinator at a Sunrise assisted living facility and so far the biggest challenge has been these freakin ptac's freezing or over-flowing on the carpet

I have gotten pretty good at changing out the control boards but there are some units that want to frost over or ice up. I'm just wondering what would be the cause nd if it is worth trying to fix being that they are a 'sealed' unit

any advise would be appreciated!

thanks!!
    The reason PTAC's are used is so when there is a problem, the maintenance staff can pull it and put in a good working unit in. Then once you a bunch of PTAC's that need to be fixed, the HVAC contractor can come out and bang out the repairs.

Now as far as your question...why do they freeze up? The evap is getting to cold. Possible problems.....low load or starved evap. But that can be caused by alot of different things. Most are worth fixing.....and normally it's a common problem across the board. Have you had an experienced mechanic look at a few yet?

just about all the time.....

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Crappy dirty air, filters and evap coils would be my guess
    .......you'll find that the filters are really crappy and very ill fitting in the racks , plugged and bypassing air like mad....slide a typical unit out and do a close-up inspection......check the o . a . dampers if they have them for positioning problems.....a lot of the time , the front covers don't fit right and air bypasses the cooling coils.....long story short , pick a unit that's freezing up and give it a close-up inspection for dirty coils , especially if there is a heating coil in it that you can't see thats plugged......i set up a table in an office of a YWCA building that was having similar problems and had the maint. chief and chief of staff in for a demo of all the above mentioned problems and immediatly got the contract to rehab all the ptacs and air handlers...... Jack
    B[COLOR=a friend is one who knows us , but loves us anyway