Looking for assistance with a new system

I hope I am in the right section. If not...sorry in advance.

I am new to these forums and I am trying to gather information and learn about Heat pumps and the various components required for a new purchase. I have a 14 year old system now (not sure the brand or the SEER rating) but I have some quotes for 3 new systems and i was hoping to get some information about 2 of them.

System 1 225BNA024000 Bryant 15.5 SEER 2.0 ton heat pump - 410 A

System 2 ASZ140241A Amana 2.0 ton 14 SEER unit R410A

I am not very familar with these brands or what I should be looking for when shopping for a new system. I understand that both are fairly common brands and with the options that come with the Amana it will put that unit up to 15 SEER so that both are eligible for the energy rebate. I was curious if anyone could lend some support and information regarding positives or negatives with these two systems?

I was leaning towards system 2 with an Amana 2.3-3 ton variable speed fan coil, TX valve, Amana furnace box, etc....with a whole house humidifier and air cleaner. I know that whatever system I choose it will be better then what I have. And since my current system is about one foot in the grave I should be happy. Just looking for some feedback and guidance.

Thanks

It's not the system, it's how it was selected and why?

That's the real question.

Smile

If I remember correctly, the Amana has the Lifetime HP unit replacement if the compressor ever fails (to original owner). Don't think the other unit does. As long as both dealers are equal, I'd get the best warranty! Also demand that they include the factory extended labor warranty in quote!

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    If I remember correctly, the Amana has the Lifetime HP unit replacement if the compressor ever fails (to original owner). Don't think the other unit does. As long as both dealers are equal, I'd get the best warranty! Also demand that they include the factory extended labor warranty in quote!
    The Amana lifetime unit replacement warranty applies to the furnace as well if the heat exchanger ever fails. All other parts get a 10 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ricbr View Post
    I hope I am in the right section. If not...sorry in advance.

I am new to these forums and I am trying to gather information and learn about Heat pumps and the various components required for a new purchase. I have a 14 year old system now (not sure the brand or the SEER rating) but I have some quotes for 3 new systems and i was hoping to get some information about 2 of them.

System 1 225BNA024000 Bryant 15.5 SEER 2.0 ton heat pump - 410 A

System 2 ASZ140241A Amana 2.0 ton 14 SEER unit R410A

I am not very familar with these brands or what I should be looking for when shopping for a new system. I understand that both are fairly common brands and with the options that come with the Amana it will put that unit up to 15 SEER so that both are eligible for the energy rebate. I was curious if anyone could lend some support and information regarding positives or negatives with these two systems?

I was leaning towards system 2 with an Amana 2.3-3 ton variable speed fan coil, TX valve, Amana furnace box, etc....with a whole house humidifier and air cleaner. I know that whatever system I choose it will be better then what I have. And since my current system is about one foot in the grave I should be happy. Just looking for some feedback and guidance.

Thanks
    Keep in mind that if you use a AMVC95/AMVC8 furnace and ASZ14 condenser, you will have to use a conventional thermostat. There has been a problem reported where the constant fan speed reverts to 30% (or maybe 15%) of max CFM in this kind of set-up, and some have complained that this is too low. If you use a communicating heat pump (ASZC16 or ASZC18) and communicating thermostat, you get 30%, 50%, or 70% constant fan speeds, selectable at the thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    Keep in mind that if you use a AMVC95/AMVC8 furnace and ASZ14 condenser, you will have to use a conventional thermostat. There has been a problem reported where the constant fan speed reverts to 30% (or maybe 15%) of max CFM in this kind of set-up, and some have complained that this is too low. If you use a communicating heat pump (ASZC16 or ASZC18) and communicating thermostat, you get 30%, 50%, or 70% constant fan speeds, selectable at the thermostat.

I like the comfortnet stat, the only issue I have with it is that it will initiate the heating cycle with the gas furnace if there is a 3 degree setback, not good.

Does a heat pump make sense where you are? What area do you live in?

Well, you've gotten several sincere opinions so far. I prefer science first, opinion later. So I've attached some information you can print out. There is a procedure to follow to keep you from signing with the wrong company. I think you'll find it helpful and if you do use the system, you won't be gambling with your money, you'll have a 'sure thing'.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate the information.

As to the area in which I live....I am in Pennsylvania (Central PA). Most of the homes around us have heat pumps.

when charging the communicating system on the Amana 2 stage heat pump 16 seer, the air handler booklet says to charge the system in "low" but there are no instructions to lock the comfortnet t-stat in that mode, has anyone else run into this issue?
    Last edited by lilmiller2; 12-16-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricbr View Post
    As to the area in which I live....I am in Pennsylvania (Central PA). Most of the homes around us have heat pumps.
    Degree-day contour lines are pretty close together for central PA,
    but folks near you typically having heat pumps suggest that is the way to go.
    Other than getting old,
    is there anything about your current system that bothered you?

If the outdoor unit has enough capacity to heat your house
    for much of the winter, I would expect it to run infrequently in the summer.
    My central PA experience has been that summers can be fairly humid,
    in which case a dual speed heat pump might give you usefully better summer humidity control.
    If the heat pump is sized mostly for Fall and Spring heating, then nevermind..

My Amana gas furnace does not enable a signal for humidification
    when heating by heat pump. Of course, your installer can add accessories
    to enable humidification independently of the furnace.