+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can I run my air conditioner with a cover over the back?

Post Likes

Can I run my air conditioner with a cover over the back?

Hello

I am running a window air conditioner in a central wall in my basement and want to vent the hot air out through an insulated air duct with 2 inline fans to the outside through a dryer vent that is not in use. Is it ok to cover the back of the unit with insulation and convert it down into the tube and vent it out or will it make the a/c unit run poorly?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by question123 View Post
    Hello

I am running a window air conditioner in a central wall in my basement and want to vent the hot air out through an insulated air duct with 2 inline fans to the outside through a dryer vent that is not in use. Is it ok to cover the back of the unit with insulation and convert it down into the tube and vent it out or will it make the a/c unit run poorly?
    No
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Post Likes
    You can run it completely covered, want my phone number?
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes

phone number

Sure I would love to talk to you about it.

Post Likes
    That's the best recipe for disaster I've heard in a long time.
    Best to think of a way to bring Mohammad to the mountain, instead of vice-versa.
    You'll put the compressor's eye out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by question123 View Post
    Sure I would love to talk to you about it.
    Sorry , i was just kidding.
    Heres the 411 on a/c
    Esentially you are obsorbing heat from one space and rejecting it to another. Any changes you make to this or any engineered design will most likely decrease heat removal , shorten the life of the unit and run your utilities higher.

Not to mention safty requirements.
    If you want to install some sort of a/c in your basement try one of the units with a ducted exhaust for the condenser.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Sorry , i was just kidding.
    Heres the 411 on a/c
    Esentially you are obsorbing heat from one space and rejecting it to another. Any changes you make to this or any engineered design will most likely decrease heat removal , shorten the life of the unit and run your utilities higher.

Not to mention safty requirements.
    If you want to install some sort of a/c in your basement try one of the units with a ducted exhaust for the condenser.
    Yes. Or ask for a "mini-split" system.. That is a situation where that type of unit would be perfect.

As for the original idea, there is no practical way to do that. Outside of a really tacky job. I could make it work, but it would be very very tacky.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in